SetDeviceValue - Non Listening Node

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SetDeviceValue - Non Listening Node

I'm pretty new to the scripting with HS3 so trying to get my head around it as i configure the central heating.

I have a number of StellaZ Radiator Thermostat which are non listening nodes so wake up on a set cycle and receive an updates waiting for them, i have an event to poll the child devices for status changes when required and the room temperature frequently which all works fine.

I an now setting up VSTAT plugin to have virtual thermostats for each room with independent schedules and temperature. (Needed when working from home)
    When the target temperature of the VSTAT for the room is changed, i would like the StellaZ Radiator Thermostat target temperature to also change, so that if the main boiler is still on, the room does not heat up passed its scheduled temperature.

so when the VSTAT is changed, by user or other control, a HS3 script runs, fired by an event:
    hs.setDeviceValue(842,hs.DeviceValue(907))

I can see the Script in the event log, no errors shown, but the
    StellaZ Radiator Thermostat target temperature does not update even after a number of successful polls.

Am i missing something obvious?

Thanks

Originally posted by Techn0 View Post
    I'm pretty new to the scripting with HS3 so trying to get my head around it as i configure the central heating.

I have a number of StellaZ Radiator Thermostat which are non listening nodes so wake up on a set cycle and receive an updates waiting for them, i have an event to poll the child devices for status changes when required and the room temperature frequently which all works fine.

I an now setting up VSTAT plugin to have virtual thermostats for each room with independent schedules and temperature. (Needed when working from home)
    When the target temperature of the VSTAT for the room is changed, i would like the StellaZ Radiator Thermostat target temperature to also change, so that if the main boiler is still on, the room does not heat up passed its scheduled temperature.

so when the VSTAT is changed, by user or other control, a HS3 script runs, fired by an event:
    hs.setDeviceValue(842,hs.DeviceValue(907))

I can see the Script in the event log, no errors shown, but the
    StellaZ Radiator Thermostat target temperature does not update even after a number of successful polls.

Am i missing something obvious?

Thanks

Unfortunately it's a bit more complex than that. hs.SetDeviceValue only changes the value of the device displayed in HS it doesn't send any commands via the plug-in that owns the device, in this case the ZWave pi. It is fine for changing the value of a virtual device but you have to use CAPI commands to control a device.
    The StellaZs are pretty horrible (I have 2). They can work but they are frustrating to work with. If you are considering another radiator valve look at the Eurotonics Spirit which I find a breath of fresh air compared to the StellaZ. I will eventually throw my Stellas away, one has already started to fail after 2 or 3 years.

With the StellaZ, to change a SetPoint temperature you need to:
    Issue the device command either from an event or CAPI command
    followed by
    Poll the child
    This is necessary or the SetPoint isn't sent. You then usually need to poll again after the next wakeup for HS to register that the SetPoint has changed.
    Quite often the StellaZ will fail to receive the command particularly if you poll any of the other child devices in the same wakeup period. You can usually get away with 2 at a time but rarely more.

Steve

Comment

Hi, SteveMSJ
      look at the Eurotonics Spirit
      is this valve is supported by HS3?

https://www.domadoo.fr/fr/peripheriq...012711301.html

Thanks

Jean-Francois.

Comment

Originally posted by jfla View Post
        Hi, SteveMSJ

is this valve is supported by HS3?

https://www.domadoo.fr/fr/peripheriq...012711301.html

Thanks

Jean-Francois.
        I have had one for nearly a year now and I am very happy with it. I didn’t have any problems including it into HS3 at the time. I think I had to modify the Status Pairs for the Mode but only because I wanted to be able to put it into direct mode where I control the valve percentage open directly. This does work but I have also run it more conventionally for periods of time.

The only feature I haven’t tried is linking it to an external temperature sensor. However, I seem to remember a post where somebody had got that working.

It is ZWave plus and FLiRS so real-time control, instant response, no waiting for wake ups. I thought this might be tough on the batteries but I still have the original set in after 348 days. It did dip to 0% a couple of days ago but recovered to 15%. I expect the batteries to die very soon but I am pleased with that.

I will be buying more.

Steve

Comment

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Unfortunately it's a bit more complex than that. hs.SetDeviceValue only changes the value of the device displayed in HS it doesn't send any commands via the plug-in that owns the device, in this case the ZWave pi. It is fine for changing the value of a virtual device but you have to use CAPI commands to control a device.
            The StellaZs are pretty horrible (I have 2). They can work but they are frustrating to work with. If you are considering another radiator valve look at the Eurotonics Spirit which I find a breath of fresh air compared to the StellaZ. I will eventually throw my Stellas away, one has already started to fail after 2 or 3 years.

With the StellaZ, to change a SetPoint temperature you need to:
            Issue the device command either from an event or CAPI command
            followed by
            Poll the child
            This is necessary or the SetPoint isn't sent. You then usually need to poll again after the next wakeup for HS to register that the SetPoint has changed.
            Quite often the StellaZ will fail to receive the command particularly if you poll any of the other child devices in the same wakeup period. You can usually get away with 2 at a time but rarely more.

Steve
            Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delay, Holidays, new year and xmas and a PC rebuild slowed my progress down haha.

I have three StellaZ running at the Moment and i just need to get the script to issue the device command.
            If the value of heating set point is not the same as the Rooms Target temperature, then issue the device update command. I already have an event to periodically Poll the StellaZ devices at the required intervals. Its just figuring the CAPI commands out for the script.

i.e.
            If the value of Device with Ref 300 does not equal the value of device with Ref 230, then set value of the device with Ref 300 to the same as that as the device with Ref 230.

Just noticed you are the developer of VSTAT. Device with Ref 230 is my Rooms VSTAT target temperature. When this changes i need the StallaZ High Set Point (300) to be set to the same value.

Comment

Originally posted by Techn0 View Post

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delay, Holidays, new year and xmas and a PC rebuild slowed my progress down haha.

I have three StellaZ running at the Moment and i just need to get the script to issue the device command.
              If the value of heating set point is not the same as the Rooms Target temperature, then issue the device update command. I already have an event to periodically Poll the StellaZ devices at the required intervals. Its just figuring the CAPI commands out for the script.

i.e.
              If the value of Device with Ref 300 does not equal the value of device with Ref 230, then set value of the device with Ref 300 to the same as that as the device with Ref 230.

Just noticed you are the developer of VSTAT. Device with Ref 230 is my Rooms VSTAT target temperature. When this changes i need the StallaZ High Set Point (300) to be set to the same value.
              If you have the EasyTrigger pi you could use an event to set a device to the value of another device, triggered by the Target Temp device changing. Alternatively you can accomplish the same with a script to issue the CAPI command. In both cases you will probably need to follow the action with a poll of the the heating setpoint as, unless things have changed, my experience with StellaZs was that you needed to poll after issuing the command for it to actually be sent.
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X