Elapsed minute calculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elapsed minute calculation

I am trying to work out the elapsed minutes from 4:02am to a device switching off. I know how to save the values to a .ini file. So what I need is to run a event at 4:02 to save this time including the date (or do I need the date ?)
    So how do I save that time, what is the command to retrieve the current date and time ?
    The I can run another event which does the same when the device turns off. Then I can subtract the 2 saved values and that should give me the elapsed time in minutes.
    I know how to save and retrieve from my .ini file. The result will only be a maximum of 75 minutes, never longer so I might not need the date.

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
    I am trying to work out the elapsed minutes from 4:02am to a device switching off. I know how to save the values to a .ini file. So what I need is to run a event at 4:02 to save this time including the date (or do I need the date ?)
    So how do I save that time, what is the command to retrieve the current date and time ?
    The I can run another event which does the same when the device turns off. Then I can subtract the 2 saved values and that should give me the elapsed time in minutes.
    I know how to save and retrieve from my .ini file. The result will only be a maximum of 75 minutes, never longer so I might not need the date.
    If I'm reading your post right, you don't need to store anything in the ini file because 4:02am is a fixed entity.
    You need an event that's triggered when the device switches off then to calculate elapsed minutes between 4:02am and now (time the device switched off).

There are a number of ways you can do this but one example is:

Code:
     Dim dt As DateTime = New DateTime(Now.Year, Now.Month, Now.Day, 4, 2, 0)
     Dim elapsedMins As Long = DateDiff(DateInterval.Minute, dt, Now)
    Paul..

Comment

Hi Paul, thanks. Hope everything is well ?

Comment

This is not returning anything, so something is wrong.The variable TotalHotWaterTimeCalc is empty

Code:
        Sub Main(parm as object)

Dim TotalHotWaterTimeCalc As Long = DateDiff(DateInterval.Minute, dt, Now)

hs.SaveINISetting("MyVariables", "TotalHotWaterTimeCalc",TotalHotWaterTime, IniFile)

End Sub

Comment

Depending on what you are needing to accomplish, does using a timer help?

Comment

Yes probably. I have solved the problem in a different way in the meantime, for me its just to learn now what I have done wrong. I like to understand why its not working, helps in future...

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
              This is not returning anything, so something is wrong.The variable TotalHotWaterTimeCalc is empty

Code:
              Sub Main(parm as object)

Dim TotalHotWaterTimeCalc As Long = DateDiff(DateInterval.Minute, dt, Now)

hs.SaveINISetting("MyVariables", "TotalHotWaterTimeCalc",TotalHotWaterTime, IniFile)

End Sub
              Try:

Code:
              hs.SaveINISetting("MyVariables", "TotalHotWaterTimeCalc",CStr(TotalHotWaterTime), IniFile)
              TotalHotWaterTime is a number (or long), not a string. The initfile is expecting a string. CStr will do that conversion for you. Note that when retrieving, you will need to do the opposite conversion, using CLng().

Comment

Yes that did it.

Comment

Working...
                X