Making Sound Work on HS3 Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Sound Work on HS3 Linux

Wanted to share how I finally got speaking events to work on Homeseer linux.

First I should point out that I made the directory naming issues easier by using symbolic links between all lower case names and the mixed case used in the install. I find it much easier as I don't have to worry so much about case and all files are stored in a single directory. As an example, I had image & Image directories so combined into single and symbolic link takes care of the other command is sudo ln -s /opt/homeseer/html/Image /opt/homeseer/html/image

My system is run on a dedicated supermicro server running Ubuntu 18.04 server. I purchased used. All details are given below. I built an HSTouch system with designer and have 4 dedicated HSTOUCH tablets. They are inexpensive insignia tablets of multiple generations and have worked well for approximately 6 years.

Current Date/Time: 6/4/2019 11:56:19 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.531
    Linux version: Linux HomeSeer-Server 4.15.0-50-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 6 18:46:08 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 31 Days 21 Hours 4 Minutes 3 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.XXX.XXX
    Number of Devices: 507
    Number of Events: 119
    Available Threads: 799
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 19
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.65.0: BLDSC
    2.0.6.0: BLGarbage
    2.0.43.0: BLLAN
    3.0.25.0: BLLock
    3.0.0.65: EasyTrigger
    5.0.0.59: Global Cache Pro
    3.0.0.14: NetCAM
    3.2.0.1: SqueezeBox
    3.0.1.11: weatherXML
    3.0.1.252: Z-Wave

I installed some additional programs on the server

sudo apt install mc (midnight commander - makes ssh CLI work easier)
    sudo apt install flite
    sudo apt install pico2wave
    sudo apt install emacs - editor

I installed and created a samba share to easily move files to the quasi-headless server.

pico2wave will take a string and save the spoken output to a .wav file. I could not figure out how to get pico to read from a file
    flite takes a string or text file and save the spoken output to a .wav file.

The strategy I used to speak the weather was

write script to accept Device Reference ID as sole input, get the device string, then write the device string to a text file to be read by flite.
    I used a base script from the forum as a template. Part of the reason I am sharing is it took a while to figure all this out.

here is my .vb script which I named WriteTxtFile.vb

------------------------ Script --------------------------------------------------
    IMPORTS System.IO
    IMPORTS System.net

Sub Main(ByVal parm As Object)

Dim objReader As System.IO.StreamWriter
    Dim FQPN As String = "/opt/homeseer/media/Text.txt" '<---- use homeseer not HomeSeer because I have the symbolic links
    Dim DvRef As Integer = parm '<----- pass Reference ID as parm make it an integer
    Dim Txt As String = hs.DeviceString(DvRef) '<----- Get the device data

Try
    objReader = New System.IO.StreamWriter(FQPN)
    objReader.Write(Txt)
    objReader.Close()
    Catch Ex As Exception

hs.writelog("Script", Ex.Message)

End Try
    End Sub
    -------------------------------------------- Script ------------------------------------

I used this website to create mp3 files.

https://soundoftext.com/

This creates .mp3 files which can be converted to .wav files using sound converter on Linux. My desktop is linux mint 19.03 the wave files go in /opt/homeseer/media (symbolic links) I find this is much faster and voice is more responsive than doing the conversion real time. This site also has a very nice voice.

The event I created was to greet my wife in the morning and inform her of the weather for the day triggered by motion sensor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	script.png
Views:	59
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1308792
    I use the counter to have it only speak once.

What I like about the script is now I can reuse for other events.

The voices available for flite are: kal | awb_time | kal16 | awb | rms | slt

Hope this saves someone time and frustration. This is not the only way and it may not be the best but it works reliably.
    Attached Files

How is the quality of the tts?

Comment

With the files from the website -it is very good. With Flite it depends on the voice. I think SLT is the best. I uploaded a zipped mp3 file so you can listen and decide for yourself.
      Attached Files

Comment

That's not too bad. I've tried flite a couple of years ago and I didn't want to use it because of the quality.
        Will try it again.
        Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Working...
        X