Help with HS3 triggering recurring event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with HS3 triggering recurring event

Hi All, been a long time since I was last here. I've moved and decided to upgrade my old HS2 X10 systems (running flawlessly for years at my old home) to HS3/4 ZWave. Maybe my head just isn't in it, but I'm trying to trigger a recurring event when a ZWave device changes to one state, and shut off that event when it goes back to nominal state. I used to do this with some scripting to create a recurring event on the fly, as I needed the ability to shut it down and change it at times, but I see that capability is not in HS3 (to create a recurring event from a script). Can some kind person rattle my brains cells and help me with this? The application will be used in many places, such as garage door open/close sensors, motion sensors in, water sensors, sprinkler control, etc. that all toggle between states. Thanks in advance.
    |
    | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
    HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

You simply use the Z-Wave Device as a Condition in an Event with a recurring Trigger. Here the Event will run once a minute as long as the Hall Light is On. When it is Off the Event does not run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.png
Views:	230
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1359052
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

As far as I recall anything that was available in HS2 is available here. Can you describe one use case? With some of the newer plugins and capabilities there may be a way to do this without a script. For instance, with the Google Calendar plugin you can use calendar items to trigger events so if you use a Google Calendar already this could be helpful. Just one example of how something new may help.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Thanks, guys, with your help I figured it out. I wasn't seeing the extended capabilities (more choices) of the IF clauses. Makes perfect sense now. FWIW, I'm a DYIer and would prefer to script my own solutions as opposed to buying plugins. I aim to use local resources and keep all data internal. I work in IT and I value my data privacy, so I try not to use or rely on Internet-based resources for what I believe are semi-critical automation systems. Just my bent.
        |
        | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
        HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Most of the plugins remain local. The only ones which do not are those where the device or service (i.e. Google Calendar) itself must go out to the internet. You choose your evils.

Note that I do not think a plugin is the first option and will suggest other solutions if they exist. I also, however, will let others create and maintain code when an acceptable solution is available so I can focus my efforts where one is not available.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

How resource hungry is a recurring trigger? What interval becomes a burden on the system? (1 second, 1 minute, 5 minutes???)

Comment

Working...
            X