Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event engine overhead for vbs or vb.net immediate scripts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event engine overhead for vbs or vb.net immediate scripts?

I haven't spent a lot of time in HS3 scripting yet, but am dabbling a bit in immediate scripts. I've seen it stated that vb.net immediate scripts (&nhs) actually create a temporary script and executes that, which implies vbs scripts (&hs) are executed "natively" but I've never seen that stated.

Should I try to stick with vbs scripts if I want maximum efficiency in an immediate script command? I know this is likely splitting hairs, but I'm curious.

Any of you guru scripters have experience with this? Is it demonstrable, for example in some in some timing test?

I'm working on an event for irrigation, and I'd like to have a single virtual device that holds the days of the week bitwise (0 - 127) and test in the event if a specific days bit is set using an immediate script. I realize the overhead would be negligible, but again I'm curious.

My opinion - not backed up by investigative work - is that the differences are negligible. I use all .vb scripts because I am reticent to convert to c# which is supposed to be faster in linux due to many scripts. I will point you to this thread:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...r-for-homeseer

in Post 7 I show how I set up an entire control system for my irrigation system and shared all my scripts and events for the control on the post . Might be of value (maybe not ;-) ) to you to see how I chose to manage it. I use an event to determine the day of the week as I am limited to specific days that watering is allowed.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer, if nothing else it will inform my choice, if not provide an outright answer for irrigation.

Comment

Working...
      X