No announcement yet.

Trying to run script using ScriptName and ScriptFunc in the deviceclass object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to run script using ScriptName and ScriptFunc in the deviceclass object

{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1401556","data-size":"thumb"} Has anyone used the feature to run a script whenever a device changes using the ScriptName and ScriptFunc properties in the DeviceClass object?

I am trying to trigger a script from a device change using the ScriptName and ScriptFunc properties in the DeviceClass object to save having to put in a bunch of events (for a bunch of devices). I wrote the following little script as a test with one device:

Sub SetDevices(Parm as Object)
    Dim hsdev As Scheduler.Classes.DeviceClass
    Dim devType
    Dim Devrf = ZMDev
    hsdev = CType(hs.GetDeviceByRef(Devrf), Scheduler.Classes.DeviceClass)
    devType = hsdev.DeviceType_Get(hs)
    devType.Device_API = HomeseerAPI.DeviceTypeInfo.eDeviceAPI.Script
    devType.Device_Type = 1 ; run on any change
    hsdev.DeviceType_Set(hs) = devType
    hsdev.ScriptName(hs) = "StatusScript.vb"
    hsdev.ScriptFunc(hs) = "DevUpdate"
    hs.SaveEventsDevices

end sub

And then I ran it. Based on the screenshot below it appears to have worked (the device type says it is to run a script on any change). But when the device changes, I am not getting into the script and there is nothing in the log except the normal message saying there was a device change from the CAPI handler. (I also but the full path in the ScriptName but stil no luck.

DevUpdate, for now, is a very simple script just so I can see it is working (or not in this case):
    Public Sub DevUpdate( Parm as object)
    hs.writelog("test", "In DevUpdate")

hs.writelog("DevUpdate", "Parm(0)="&parm(0))
    hs.writelog("DevUpdate", "Parm(1)="&parm(1))
    hs.writelog("DevUpdate", "Parm(2)="&parm(2))
    hs.writelog("DevUpdate", "Parm(3)="&parm(3))

end sub

Nothing shows up inthe log when I change the device from the Homeseer UI nor when the device is changed programmatically from a script. I have a bunch of devices that all need to run the same schript whern they change---this seemed so much simpler than having events for each device. Is there something simple I am doing wrong

Click image for larger version

Name:	DevAdvStat.png
Views:	343
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	1401558

I can't find my post about this but this was broken at one point and I am honestly not sure if it was ever fixed, it arose at a time when I think changes were made to the event process (possibly threading). I did report it in a thread but never saw it answered either way whether it was fixed...perhaps someone who used it might be able to answer.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Kind of unfortunate, but I was going to write a script to set up all the devices anyway. I suppose that script, instead, could create an event for each device. Anyone out there know the status. Maybe I'll open a trouble ticket to at least find out the status.

Comment

Ever hear anything back? v4.1.10.0 does not work either. Seems like supporting events would be fairly important.

Comment

Count me in on this. Just finished setting up the Device Class to support calling a script (no small effort, btw), and then I found this thread. SO FRUSTRATING! I get the same result. I get a log message from the CAPI Control Handler, but the script is never called. Ugh.

The frustration is not only that it doesn't work, but the workaround is to create a bunch of separate events - each associated with a child device (I have several child devices). I can write a script to create all the events, but it's such an ugly workaround. I'm going to pollute my "Events" list with a bunch of crud that didn't need to be there. Sigh.

Comment

This is why God created Event Groups and Event Types. Should help a little with the clutter.

Jim Speiser
            38-year veteran of Home Automation
            Still don't know squat

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement . I see that God also created RegisterStatusChangeCB which seems like a really big hammer for this particular nail, but it appeals to my inner control freak. There's something enticing about being able to sniff every device change in the system . Thanks for the info. I keep learning as I go here.

Comment

Working...
              X