Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Errors running tenscripting v 3.37

Hi guys,

I have some limited experience developing VB scripts for HS3 and wanted to take the next step and install tenscripting - (so this is my first experience using Visual Studio) but am getting stuck on an error. These are the steps I followed:

- installed the community version of Visual Studio 2019
    - downloaded tenScripting_3_37.zip
    - unzipped the contained folder structure into a local folder on the same machine as VS
    - copied HomeSeerAPI.dll, HSCF.dll,and Scheduler.dll from the HS3 server to a local folder
    - started VS2019
    - opened tenScripting3.sln
    - right-clicked references and added references to the 3 above mentioned dll's
    - clicked "Start" to run the project

When the project starts I first get this error:

Code:
    "There were build errors. Would you like to continue and run the last successful build?"
    I tried clicking "Yes" but then get:

Code:
    "Visual studio cannot start debugging because the target <path to tenscripting>\bin\Debug\tenScripting3.exe is missing Please build the project and retry etc."
    but after running "Rebuild tenScripting3" from the build menu, I get a whole bunch more errors in the Error List. I searched for tenScripting3.exe in the tenscripting folder structure but could not find it.

I suspect I am doing something silly or missing a step her, but cant figure out which.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

PS - if there is a tenscripting sub-forum I should have posted to, please let me know and I will repost.

I compared the content of v 3.37 with 3.36 and found that the /bin/Debug folder in v. 3.37 as downloaded from the tenscripting site in is empty. I am assuming this folder should have been populated? Can I use 3.36 instead?

Comment

I'm the author, and the 3.37 distribution removed the bin and obj files as they are built when you run the tenScripting3 solution. This was an attempt to streamline the distribution package. While these files are not necessary, their removal seems to be causing confusion. The tenScripting3.exe is missing because there are other errors that caused the solution to not complete the build, hence no tenScripting3.exe, which is one of the targets of a successful build, as are the obj and bin files. If you could post an image of all of the errors you are getting when you run the solution (start), I would appreciate it. Something is keeping the solution from completing the build. Or, you can send email to ed [at] tenholder [dot] net

Or, send message to tenholde

Thanks,
      tenholde
      tenholde

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I will work on this in the next day or 2 and get back to you with the details.

Thanks

Dennis

Comment

Let me know when you get a chance to look at this again
          tenholde

Comment

Hi tenholde.

Firstly, thank you for such a great tool and the ongoing support.

Version 4.1 20/9/2020

I am having a similar issue. I too have followed the steps above. I am a noob, but was previously running tenScripting3 so was keen to try the HS4 version. I have tried removing the dll references, recopied the files, etc., but still no joy. I didn't delete TS3 and can still run that sln, even after updating the dll's to the latest release of HS4.

The errors I'm getting are below:
            Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
            Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'HomeSeerAPI' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) CSscripts csComplexSamples.cs 2 Active
            Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'HomeSeerAPI' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) CSscripts csComplexSamples.cs 9 Active
            Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'HomeSeerAPI' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) CSscripts csComplexSamples.cs 66 Active
            Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'HomeSeerAPI' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) CSscripts
            ...<snip>...
            Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'HomeSeerAPI' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) CSscripts CSglobals.cs 5 Active
            Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'HomeSeerAPI' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) CSscripts csSimpleSamples.cs 6 Active
            Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'HomeSeerAPI' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) CSscripts csSimpleSamples.cs 23 Active
            Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'HomeSeerAPI' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) CSscripts csSimpleSamples.cs 41 Active
            Error could not find library 'C:\Users\rscsm\Desktop\HomeSeer\TenScript\tenScripting4\CSs cripts\bin\Debug\CSscripts.dll' tenScripting4 vbc

I have uploaded a Word document containing a table of the errors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TS4 References.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	1423863

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks, Rob.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you added the HS4 dll references to the tenSripting project, but you must also add them to the CSscripts project and the VBscripts project.
              tenholde

Comment

Apologies tenholde

I've solved it. Now running.

I had a broken reference in the CSscripts. I removed the HomeseerAPI reference from CSscripts and re-added it. This solved the problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Error Fixed.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1423875

I have now added the dll's to both tenScripting4 and CSscripts.

Best regards, Rob.

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately, I didn't see it before posting otherwise I would have thanked you sooner. (I hadn't refreshed the page.) It would have saved some time to have checked all three. I hadn't realised this and had been trying random things, such as adding references at various points. It was pure luck that I had added it to CSscript, and I suppose bad luck that I'd managed to somehow break the link. Then more luck that I went back and checked it.

I've just finished developing my first script. I'm still learning my way around tenScripting, but it's really useful. I've just upgraded from Vera to HS, so I think it will be getting a lot of use in the near future.

I've made a donation to express my thanks :-)

Best regards, Rob.

Comment

Working...
                  X