Scripting Newby - Need A Little Help Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scripting Newby - Need A Little Help Getting Started

I was a programmer years ago so I'm not starting from absolute zero here. I've seen references to a Scripting Guide. Can someone please point me to that document. I would also like a list of the available scripting commands and what they do, especially CAPI. I'm using HS3.

My first task will be very simple, taking a current thermostat set point and adding 1 to it or subtracting 1 from it (two separate scripts) then sending it to the thermostat. They will be called by + and - buttons in an HSTouch screen.

Thanks for any guidance you have time to provide.

Select Tools > Help > HomeSeer help files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp but I need just a little more than that. I hate to sound stupid but where do I find 'Tools'.

Comment

It's a link on the HomeSeer 3 web interface.

Comment

Thanks Rupp. I've been searching the web page for the link. Didn't think to look in the program screens.

One more question, I decided to start from the beginning of the documentation and I was looking at the 'Creating A Script' section. I tried running a few of the single line commands. the hs.speak worked fine but the examples that related to devices did not. I'm assuming that that part of the documentation is out dated and those commands have been replaced by CAPI commands.
          My question is, how much of the documentation that precedes the CAPI chapter actually applies to HS3? Has all of it been replaced or does some of it still work?

Comment

All the HomeSeer 3 scripting references should work. If they do not please put in a Bugzilla ticket on the ones that do not. I notice that some of the general information in the About Scripts section references some old HS2 calls but hopefully the other sections do not reference old references as most all of these changed. The biggest change is the CAPI control but most sections have some significant changes as well.

Comment

Rupp,
              I appreciate your quick response. However, since I've never written a script, I have no way of knowing which commands are 'HomeSeer 3 references' and which are HS2. The one that didn't work was hs.devicevalue(""). I assume this is an old HS2 reference.
              As I work my way through the documentation, is it safe to say that all of the information in the Devices section is HS3 and should work?

Jeb

Comment

Originally posted by jebdmk View Post
                Rupp,
                I appreciate your quick response. However, since I've never written a script, I have no way of knowing which commands are 'HomeSeer 3 references' and which are HS2. The one that didn't work was hs.devicevalue(""). I assume this is an old HS2 reference.
                As I work my way through the documentation, is it safe to say that all of the information in the Devices section is HS3 and should work?

Jeb
                Device Value is listed under Device Value, String, or Last String
                Device Value doesn't use a string but rather an integer.
                ie &hs.writeLog("info", hs.deviceValue(7))

Comment

Working...
                X