Scripting VS Plugin for the newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scripting VS Plugin for the newb

I am pretty sure I am 100% over my head on this but I need a way to control a couple devices and there is not currently a plugin for them and I can not seem to locate a working script either. So at this point I am going to need to build my own, which is a bit crazy since I have Programming 101 experience and that's basically it. But, since I want Homeseer to control my devices instead of a Crestron unit, I am where I am.

So my question is, should I try to build a custom plugin to control my device or will a script be able to do everything that I want? It seems that building scripts are much less involved than a full fledge plugin, but maybe with the level of my needs for control, a plugin will be easy too.

This is what I am going for:

I have an Extron Audio/Video matrix that I would like to control via TCP/IP.
    I would like to be able to track which input is assigned to which output.
    I would like to be able to track the volume of each audio output.
    I would like to be able to control the device via TCP/IP.

I downloaded the sample plugin code, and although I can read the code, I have no clue what is going on with it so maybe its over my head

What do you think? is it possible to teach myself enough to build a plugin or script, or should I save up some money and pay someone else to develop it for me? Maybe I can buy individual pieces for the plugin and smush them together?

As always, thank you for your help!

Drabert

HomeSeer guidance is where you need tight integration with the HomeSeer event/device engine is when you should start to look at plugins rather than scripts. I have been guilty myself of making plugins where I could have used a script and regretted it later, so if you can script it then script it.

I think you might be able to get away with what you want in a creative script, sending TCP commands is not a problem but I have had difficulties receiving TCP stuff through a script (this is probably my lack of knowledge though, it did work just not getting what I was expecting). There is also a plugin by drule that works with two way TCP communications that might be of use to you. Be aware some stuff like the music API (I think there are some device types for matrix switches now in HS3 also) which you might use in HSTouch will need you to use a plugin and you won't be able to use that by script.

I taught myself to write a plugin but it is not something that I did overnight, it was months if not years for me to get a grip of everything.

Comment

I have done the opposite: Trying to squeeze much functionality into a script, while a plugin would have done a much better (and more reliable) job.

You can really do ALOT with scripting, and if what you want to do is fairly easy then stick with that. Even if I'm planning to write a plugin, I always run some tests using scripts first.

However, if you see that your project is growing fast, and you want better control over custom classes and use other Visual Studio goodies (e.g. like Linq), then a plugin is the way to go. Plugins are much, much easier to develop in HS3 than HS2.
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Working...
      X