New Scripting command to replace CAPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hedroom View Post
    I'm coming in a little late to this party but...

I've been using the JSON API to control devices from a web page and it's quite simple. Isn't the JSON function "controldevicebyvalue" just exactly what the people in this thread are asking for (except in a different context)?

Just curious why it's ok to provide that kind on functionality in one area and not the other...

Cheers,

Wade
    The JSON interface did not exist from the outset of HS so whilst it could make things simpler it would be slightly backwards in a script to go out of HS and come back in via HTTP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedroom View Post
      I'm coming in a little late to this party but...

I've been using the JSON API to control devices from a web page and it's quite simple. Isn't the JSON function "controldevicebyvalue" just exactly what the people in this thread are asking for (except in a different context)?

Just curious why it's ok to provide that kind on functionality in one area and not the other...

Cheers,

Wade
      As MrHappy stated, the JSON interface did not exist when this thread was started. Despite strong support, this poll was opposed by one of the (ex HST) HS3 programming team, so things stayed as they were.

As soon as they introduced JSON, HST had to add something for control which showed it really was not that difficult to achieve. Bottom line is that HST could easily add a new scripting command for control if they wanted to.
      Jon

Comment

Not to reopen old wounds, but I was rereading this (looking for the examples of how to control devices - I always come back to this posting) and realized that no one had ever mentioned one important reason to use scripts over events: to control devices with which Homeseer does not communicate. Maybe I am missing something, but I am not certain how to set up an event to query an Intesis thermostat (I have five of them).

It's very easy to do in a Homeseer script - one line of code, actually. How would this be accomplished in a Homeseer event?

The same is true for communicating with devices (about ten) that my Vera Lite controls - one line of code. I've never been able to figure out how to set up an event to do that.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Couldn't an event be used to run a script to do what you want?

Comment

Originally posted by jwshome2 View Post
            Not to reopen old wounds, but I was rereading this (looking for the examples of how to control devices - I always come back to this posting) and realized that no one had ever mentioned one important reason to use scripts over events: to control devices with which Homeseer does not communicate. Maybe I am missing something, but I am not certain how to set up an event to query an Intesis thermostat (I have five of them).

It's very easy to do in a Homeseer script - one line of code, actually. How would this be accomplished in a Homeseer event?

The same is true for communicating with devices (about ten) that my Vera Lite controls - one line of code. I've never been able to figure out how to set up an event to do that.

Am I missing something?
            I guess I'm not clear on what you are trying to accomplish. You can easily set an event to run a script or issue an immediate script command (which should be doable if it's one line of code). You could also use virtual devices in conjunction with this. What are you doing now and what would you want it to look/behave like?

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Yes, sorry not to be clear, that is exactly what I meant.

The long discussion in this thread, over the past several years, was whether or not events can take the place of scripts - the basic question posed was "why would anyone need to use a script when the same thing can be accomplished more easily with an event?".

Events can't control a Homeseer device if there is no Homeseer device, but scripts can do so easily. And since scripts can be triggered by events, the two work hand in hand. But scripts they can't be replaced - they are an essential part of using Homeseer as the main automation tool in a household.

Or at least, I can't figure out how to replace them with an event to control, say, Intesis thermostats.

(I was posting this because i realized no one had brought up the point before, and with so many devices now capable of automation, unless Homeseer plans to integrate with every single one, scripts are going to remain a superior tool to events for the foreseeable future, because events just won't work.)

Comment

Sorry, I am still not being clear, I apologize.

I don't have a problem - I am able to accomplish everything I want to. If I want to poll my intesis thermostats every 15 minutes, I set up an event that calls a script every 15 minutes.

This discussion chain, over the past two years, was focused on a simple question: when are scripts needed? Someone posted the following comment:

the only good reason for a script SO FAR is if you want to set the level of a device based upon dynamic data - I have 316 events so far and have yet to need that, but I can understand where/when it is useful.
                I was just adding a second good reason for a script - to control something that Homeseer cannot communicate with through events and Homeseer devices. I know it sounds simple, but it's an important user need, at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jwshome2 View Post
                  Sorry, I am still not being clear, I apologize.

I don't have a problem - I am able to accomplish everything I want to. If I want to poll my intesis thermostats every 15 minutes, I set up an event that calls a script every 15 minutes.

This discussion chain, over the past two years, was focused on a simple question: when are scripts needed? Someone posted the following comment:

I was just adding a second good reason for a script - to control something that Homeseer cannot communicate with through events and Homeseer devices. I know it sounds simple, but it's an important user need, at least for me.
                  Got it. I use scripts for a lot of things as well and there are many reasons to use them.

Cheers
                  Al
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

This is a great thread. Anyone who is reading this thread “after the fact”, please check out Tenholde's - tenScriptAid for HS3. An absolutely fantastic tool for using and better understanding CAPI commands. Link can be found HERE
                    Last edited by mstukel; October 9, 2017, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X