Starting scripting on hometroller-sel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting scripting on hometroller-sel

I am trying to get started scripting on new set, but having problems - can someone give me some pointers please?

I have scripted many times before on my old HS2 system, but am now using SEL and also a Mac laptop. So:

1. How do i copy files to the SEL from my mac?
    2. is there a quick start for how to script on the SEL, or info source?
    3. I will be needing to work with ports - reading and writing - and the SEL handles ports very differently than the windows i am used to - any info?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help. I will gladly share outputs and what i get going (focussing on Arduinos for input and output and also Honeywell comms to evohome).

Originally posted by r55boy View Post
    handles ports very differently than the windows i am used to - any info?
    Be very aware you might be setting yourself up for a bit of an issue if you have not seen already. Linux HS does not support serial ports by it's own scripting commands - see http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=1457 as they were never modified to accept string based arguments, only numeric port numbers like windows ports.

You might have an ability to send data using the .net ports command as a get round and there is some ability to read (a painful method however by getting individual bytes from the port) but the easiest method to read data is to use the DataReceived event handler which to my knowledge has not been implemented in the Mono framework unless it has recently.

Comment

Thanks MrHappy. I have subscribed to the bug. What i find odd is that the SEL is sold as an advanced device, but the most basic thing you can do with scripting is to work with attached devices via serial and it seems that due to a bug or limitation that is not possible. If this is true, and i hope its not, then i can't use the SEL for my purposes - i would need the windows platform, which would mean changing it for the S3...

If this is all true then i need to look at doing exactly that - i have a couple of thousand lines of script code on my old HS2 system that needs to be developed...

Re how to copy files over to the SEL, any pointers (for Mac OS)? Thanks again mate.

Comment

Originally posted by r55boy View Post
        Thanks MrHappy. I have subscribed to the bug. What i find odd is that the SEL is sold as an advanced device, but the most basic thing you can do with scripting is to work with attached devices via serial and it seems that due to a bug or limitation that is not possible. If this is true, and i hope its not, then i can't use the SEL for my purposes - i would need the windows platform, which would mean changing it for the S3...

If this is all true then i need to look at doing exactly that - i have a couple of thousand lines of script code on my old HS2 system that needs to be developed...

Re how to copy files over to the SEL, any pointers (for Mac OS)? Thanks again mate.
        I think it is halfway between a bug and a limitation, the update seems to imply that at least the DataReceived handler may be implemented in some fashion but that is immaterial if you can't open the port in the first place!

I've no ideas how to copy the files, I have only ever used a VM based linux version that makes it easy. You could just copy the files in text into the script window if you were struggling.

Comment

I use WinSCP to copy files between linux and Windows: https://winscp.net/eng/download.php.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
          X