Help with setting last on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with setting last on...

I have various events that run, triggered by motion, when the house is ASLEEP. For example, based on motion, the bathroom ceiling light is set to dim 5%.

What I want to achieve is to run a script when the house wakes up, becomes AWAKE, to set all dimmers to a last on of 100% so that when we tap a WD100 to on, it goes to 100% instead of 5%.

Thanks for your help.

Michael
    Michael

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
    I have various events that run, triggered by motion, when the house is ASLEEP. For example, based on motion, the bathroom ceiling light is set to dim 5%.

What I want to achieve is to run a script when the house wakes up, becomes AWAKE, to set all dimmers to a last on of 100% so that when we tap a WD100 to on, it goes to 100% instead of 5%.

Thanks for your help.

Michael
    Why not have an "awake" virtual device, then an event controlled by the WD100's "scene 001 key pressed":

IF light scene had its value set to scene 001 key pressed
    AND IF device awake has a value equal to On
    THEN set light to On

That way, when the house is not awake the lights will go to last level, since that is the default. When it is awake they will go to On.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

That is certainly an option although it would require a lot of events.

While I do use a virtual device for house status, I was hoping to iterate through all dimmers and set them back to 100 if house is AWAKE and it is DAY TIME (another virtual device).

I have over 25 dimmers that would require 2 events for scene 1 press - 1 to set to on if AWAKE and another to set to on if ASLEEP.

Or, am I missing something?

Thanks!
      Michael

Comment

That is certainly an option although it would require a lot of events.

While I do use a virtual device for house status, I was hoping to iterate through all dimmers and set them back to 100 if house is AWAKE and it is DAY TIME (another virtual device).

I have over 25 dimmers that would require 2 events for scene 1 press - 1 to set to on if AWAKE and another to set to on if ASLEEP.

Or, am I missing something?

Thanks!
        You would only need 1 event per dimmer - if awake. If asleep and/or not daytime the scene would not be evaluated. The dimmers automatically go to last level with a single press. You could add your daytime device as a secondary condition.

If you want to do it with a script you would have to set all 25 to On, then back to off, because there is no way to set the last level without actually controlling the load. The script would have to create Z-Wave traffic for 25 devices at once, where an event would only create traffic as needed and at the time of demand.

I honestly don't understand the aversion to a large quantity of events. With the event copying tool it is easy to build events, then just edit the devices and event name. I'm at 1200 events and counting, they add practically no overhead unless they run and with careful naming and grouping are quite easy to manage.

There are places for scripting, but the HS3 event engine is amazingly flexible and powerful.

Comment

I will add that almost every dimmer in our house has quite a few events we
          • Set default levels for Day, Twilight, Night and Deep Night (asleep) when they are turned on
          • Control them with motion, using the above defaults
          • A single press of the top paddle when set between 1-98% turns them On
          • A single press of the top paddle when On reverts to the default level for the time of day and sleep status
          • A long press of the lower paddle disables motion control with the light off
          • A long press of the upper paddle disables automatic Off with no motion (but a watchdog event will still turn them off after 1 hour without motion)
          • Turning the light Off restores motion control

Some also have double tap scene actions as well.

Comment

Thank you for the detailed information. I'm coming from HS2 and 9 years ago at that, so scripting was essential, at least in my mind.

I like the multiple events - just trying to remember where each one is. Do you have an example of the lighting groups you use? I would appreciate it!
            Michael

Comment

Thank you for the detailed information. I'm coming from HS2 and 9 years ago at that, so scripting was essential, at least in my mind.

I like the multiple events - just trying to remember where each one is. Do you have an example of the lighting groups you use? I would appreciate it!
              Sure, there is a screenshot below.
              • Lighting - Housekeeping
                • This is for cleaning up lighting that is left on, catching up when HomeSeer has been down, etc.
              • Lighting - Away/Random
                • This is for all random lighting for vacation or away
              • Lighting - Bronco
                • This is for our grabrail lights and driveway lights. We are Denver Bronco fans, so the grabrail comes on Orange 1 hour before games and the driveway path lights do the same for night games. We have a number of light patterns based on the Orange and Blue theme of the team. This is where we put the schedule and control events
              • Lighting - Dimmer Defaults
                • This is for default dimmer levels and the associated control events
              • Lighting - Driveway Path
                • This is for our driveway path sconces. They have RGB strips in them and we use an Arduino to control color and brightness for holidays, football games, etc. I wanted to use "smart" pixels so I could control each light individually, but I have yet to find a good way to integrate DMX with HomeSeer. As a result it is two groups of "dumb" RGB strips, which works fine. This group has the color control events, brightness control events, etc.
              • Lighting - General
                • This is for all general lighting controls. Synchronization between dimmers or between dimmers and virtual devices, multi-light groups, house to sleep, panic, etc.
              • Lighting - Grabrail LED
                • This is just like the driveway path, but controls a single RGB strip that I put in a groove in the bottom of the basemen stair grabrail. It is visible from the living room and media room in the basement.
              • Lighting - Holiday
                • This is for all holiday lighting schedules and controls. I have a number of Z-Wave outlets in the front of the house, the driveway path lights and future items that will be scheduled for certain holidays.
              • Lighting - Luminance
                • This is for all lighting that is controlled outside of time schedules based upon a number of luminance sensors
              • Lighting - Time
                • This is for all lighting controlled by time. We use Easy Trigger schedules for outside lighting, interior lighting. This group contains the events that control the lights, another group takes care of changing the schedules based upon day of the week, holiday, work day, away or vacation

I am pretty sure HS2 handled events differently in that it basically did a round robin of all events as if they were recurring trigger events and it evaluated each trigger and condition sequentially. As a result events had an impact on performance. HS3 sticks each event in a trigger queue and it spins off a thread for each event when the trigger is true AND all of the conditions are true. If the conditions are false, the thread is never created. As a result, only an event that actually runs has any real effect on the system resources.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Randy. I enjoy your thorough and well thought out posts.

Michael

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Michael

Comment

Working...
                X