How to find the "real" error line when HS logs an error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find the "real" error line when HS logs an error

I'm trying to convert an HS3 script back to run in HS2. When the script is run, I get this error:

Script compile error: Expression expected.on line 221

If I open the script in Visual Studio 2010 Express, line 221 is a blank line! How can I determine the actual line that's causing the error?

Thanks!
    Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

If memory serves me correctly HS adds 13 lines to the file.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      If memory serves me correctly HS adds 13 lines to the file.
      My recollection is the same.

I find tenScripting to be helpful when debugging HS scripts.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks to both of you! I'll try both methods.
        Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

One way to determine this is to create a syntax on the first statement of your script and see which line number is indicated and adjust from there
          tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
            One way to determine this is to create a syntax on the first statement of your script and see which line number is indicated and adjust from there
            Brilliant! Will try that tomorrow. Thanks!
            Fred

Comment

Thanks to all of you! The 13-line offset is still correct. Just for the benefit of others seeing this in the future, the actual line number is 13 less than that shown in the error message.
              Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                My recollection is the same.

I find tenScripting to be helpful when debugging HS scripts.
                Unfortunately there is a slight disconnect between tenScripting, which is wonderful, and HS. Things will run perfectly from tenScript but then fail in HS for a variety of reasons.

Still far better that using WriteLog calls.

Comment

Personally, I wish HS provided an option to save the "augmented" source. It would be nice to see what HS adds.

Comment

Originally posted by mkropp View Post

Unfortunately there is a slight disconnect between tenScripting, which is wonderful, and HS. Things will run perfectly from tenScript but then fail in HS for a variety of reasons.

Still far better that using WriteLog calls.
                    I would like to keep an ongoing document of any differences between tenScripting and HS script compilation and execution, as an aide to all. Could you and others provide examples please.
                    tenholde
                    tenholde

Comment

Also, as a reminder, tenScripting now supports C# script development
                      tenholde

Comment

Working...
                      X