Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pioneer Receiver RS-232 control via HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer Receiver RS-232 control via HomeSeer?

I am wanting to control my Pioneer VSX-84Txsi A/V receiver with HomeSeer. This unit has RS-232 and protocol is here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi..._Protocols.pdf

I am willing to get my hands dirty and learn how to do this, but any tutorials or references to get me started? I am hoping this is not complex

Hi - did you ever progress this? I am interested in controlling my Pioneer Receiver in this was via HS2 but do not have the programming ability to achieve it - did you write anything?

Jon

Comment

That looks a good protocol description.

If you do look to write something yourself, there are plenty of other scripts around from which you could start playing - should get something running for a few basic controls in an hour or so....

If you search the scripts and plugins in developer section there are several good texts on serial control of AV equipment.

There is one (I cannot find right now) that contains a skeleton that can be built to pretty much control any serial device...

Its not a big job... (famous last words... )

David
      ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

Update: found the post I was looking for!

I could remember it was Ken, but could not find the post!

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=130575

Comment

Hi Lawder,

I'm in San Jose as well (and I'm a mac user) and I'd be happy to help you out with your project. I've been working on my Denon AVR automation off and on for a couple of months now.

Here's a template I came up with for doing two-way communication with just about any serial device. Basically, there's OpenComPort, CloseComPort, SendCommand, and ProcessResponse. Read through the comments and let me know if you have any questions about it.

Ken
          Attached Files
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Hi David,

How's your alarm panel project coming along?

Ken
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Kenm/Bestgear,

I was not the original poster, but I am very interested in this thread. I have the Pioneer VSX-82TSXi receiver mentioned above and have the RS232 Protocol. I also have purchased a GC100 so I can address my receiver via Homeseer.

I have some Applescript knowledge, so I am hoping that I can understand your example and amend the VB script to do some basic controls like volume up down.

The gap I have at the moment is I am not sure how to create a device in HS that is on the serial port on the GC100. I have seen there is a piece of software called Lantronix which allows you to make virtual COM ports and redirect to the GC100. Is this the correct approach, or is there another way - I am guessing that I need a device in HS called 'Receiver' that I then send instructions to with commands via VB Script? Is this correct, and if so, how do I make that device?

Any help appreciated

Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

Didn't mean to leave you out of the discussion. I'll be happy to help you out. Don't worry about creating devices yet but to let you know you'll have several devices that will hold bits of information about your receiver. For example, you'll have a device that will represent the power status, one to hold the Main Zone volume value, one to hold the Main Zone Source Selection, etc.

For right now we need to figure out how to get your receiver connected to HS and do a basic communication test. I'm not familiar with the Global Cache boxes but what you'll need to talk to it's serial port via ethernet is called a "ComPort Re-Director". That's the piece of software that will create the virtual serial port the HS scripts will use to communicate with the device.

If you have the protocol document for your receiver please post it here so I can have a look at it.

Ken

Comment

Hi Kenm,

Ok - I have the software to make a virtual com port redirection - the IP address for the device on the GC100 is 10.0.1.6:4999 to address the first serial port, so I guess I need to create say COM7 and direct it to 10.0.1.6:4999 and make sure that the serial port settings agree with the RS232 protocol.

The protocol for my receiver is here

Thanks for any input you can give me - I am learning fast - I am amazed with what HS can do and the amount of information available on this board

Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

Yes, Get your GC-100 setup as COM7 and then I'll send you a script to try out to see if we can talk to it.

The link to the protocol doc doesn't seem to work. Can you check that and post an update?

Thanks,
                    Ken

Comment

Sorry, here is the link again

On with COM7 now....

Jon

Comment

I'm starting to see how it will work .... A device called Pioneer Volume Status one called Pioneer current input etc, and the script simply queries the state or changes the state. Is that right?

If so, wow - I can see this is really powerful if it works properly. I would much prefer to link everything via rs232 than IR - I would expect it is much more reliable?

Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

Your understanding of how it works is correct. There's an added bonus to having the script "hooked" to the ComPort and always processing responses in that whenever you use the front panel buttons or the remote the receiver sends unsolicited messages to the script telling it what you did. This allows Homeseer to keep track of your receiver without polling (sending queries) all the time.

I've attached an image that shows you how to setup a couple of events for testing out your setup. Create each of the events to call a function within the script and then run the "OpenComPort" Event. Check the log for messages and then try to run the "Send ?P Request" Event and see what you get back. For now make sure you have your receiver powered on because there's some special things you have to do if the receiver is in "standby" and we'll have to handle that later.

If the "?P" command shows a valid response (PWR1) in the log try playing with the front panel controls and see what you get.

When you're finished testing run the "CloseComPort" Event to close the comport.

Let me know how it goes,
                          Ken
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                            Hi David,

How's your alarm panel project coming along?

Ken

Hi Ken

After a few diversions (due to the protocol not the scripting) I have it working.

I needed two scripts as there ended up being two different protocols to capture all the data...

I got there in the end!

David

Comment

Kenm,

Many thanks for your input and help on this - I am very keen to get this working - hopefully tonight will be the night.

I have spoken with Global Cache today as I was having problems making the COM7 connection - they have given me some guidance so hopefully I can feedback some positive news later tonight.

Also you have helped fill in the gaps in my understanding on how such integration works - I would much prefer to link using RS232 than IR as you say it gives feedback - and its wired - so hopefully my next serial link I can figure out myself.

Will update you on progress soon

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X