Phidgets HomeSeer Plug-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phidgets HomeSeer Plug-in

I created a plug-in for Phidgets. It's been running for a couple months on my system, and only recently sent it to two people for testing.

Installation Guide and setup in attached zip file.

**Please consider this a beta since I have no feedback from others yet.**

Feedback/comments most welcome.

Features:

MytMyk Phidgets is a free Homeseer plug-in that supports the Phidget Interface Kit and sensors (www.phidgets.com). With this plug-in HomeSeer can read 8 analog inputs, 8 digital inputs, and set 8 digital outputs.

Analog Inputs - List of sensors currently available:

IR Distance Sensor
    IR Reflective Sensor
    Vibration Sensor
    Light Sensor
    Force Sensor
    Humidity Sensor
    Temperature Sensor
    Magnetic Sensor
    Rotation Sensor
    Voltage Divider
    Touch Sensor
    Motion Sensor
    Mini Joy-Stick
    Pressure Sensor
    Voltage Sensor
    Current Sensor
    Slide Sensor

Digital Inputs - Can be used to convey the state of push buttons, switches, relays, logic levels, etc...

Digital Outputs - Can be used to drive LEDs, solid state relays, control devices that accept +5v signals, etc...

All Phidget sensors are pre-configured in the plug-in with the manufacturer's formulas. However the plug-in allows for flexible modification of formulas and sensor values:
    Sensor Formulas may be edited as desired. New sensors easily added to plug-in as they become available.
    Sensitivity configuration allows for the plug-in to trigger an analog reading only when appropriate.
    Offset Value configuration allows for calibration of analog readings.
    Zero Threshold configuration allows for defining hysteresis around the value of 0.
    Precision configuration permits display resolution definition.
    • For flexibility, a HomeSeer device's device string can track sensor value (with units), base value, or raw value of analog sensors.
    • For flexibility, a HomeSeer device's device value can track sensor value (without units), base value, or raw value of analog sensors.

Requirements:

• Phidget21 libraries installed on Homeseer Server
    • Homeseer 2.x
    • WindowsXP/Vista/Win7 (32 or 64 bit)
    • Microsoft .NET 2.0 or greater
    • Compatible with PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 or PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 w/6 Port Hub
    (Presently the plug-in supports only a single Phidget interface at a time.)
    • Note: Homeseer does NOT need to be shutdown during this installation

Upgrade Instructions:

(Settings from Phidgets Configuration page will not be altered)
    1. Backup sensors.dat file {HS Path}\html\MytMyk_Phidgets\sensors.dat - this is only needed if you've customized this file (edited/added formulas manually)
    2. Shutdown HomeSeer
    3. Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs or Programs and Features (Win7) -> Uninstall MytMyk Phidgets Plugin for HS2
    4. Run new Phidgets Setup.msi
    5. Restore backed up sensors.dat file (from step 1 above, if required)
    6. Restart HomeSeer
    7. Enable Phidgets plug-in

Revision History:

1.0.0.1 January 30, 2010 - Fixed Configuration page call to sensors.dat
    1.0.0.0 January 26, 2010 - Initial Release
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mwaite; January 30, 2010, 02:27 PM. Reason: upgraded version
    Mike

those look very cool! lots of different possibilities for control/sensing. my setup is pretty much done, but if it wasn't i'd be all over this!

ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
      those look very cool! lots of different possibilities for control/sensing. my setup is pretty much done, but if it wasn't i'd be all over this!

ian
      Oh, so many times I thought my system was done too!

These do look pretty cool and here I sit thinking of uses for them.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Will there be support for the RFID device?

I had a rudimentary hack on the phidget provided software, but when it detected a number, if it matched a database of codes, it an ON for a device code (based on a .vbs and running cscript). Then HS did the rest. Kind of hacky...not 100% reliable...maybe 98%...but it worked...

However, if this can be made "professional" that would be great!

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

IR Distance Sensor
          IR Reflective Sensor
          Vibration Sensor
          Light Sensor
          Force Sensor
          Humidity Sensor
          Temperature Sensor
          Magnetic Sensor
          Rotation Sensor
          Voltage Divider
          Touch Sensor
          Motion Sensor
          Mini Joy-Stick
          Pressure Sensor
          Voltage Sensor
          Current Sensor
          Slide Sensor

Does it measure Miti-chlorians? If so, I'll take 3 - my boys think they are Jedi, and this would be a great way of sensing occupancy in their room :-)
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
            Will there be support for the RFID device?

I had a rudimentary hack on the phidget provided software, but when it detected a number, if it matched a database of codes, it an ON for a device code (based on a .vbs and running cscript). Then HS did the rest. Kind of hacky...not 100% reliable...maybe 98%...but it worked...

However, if this can be made "professional" that would be great!

--Dan
            I wrote the plug-in because I was looking for a way to monitor my solar lighting battery (current, voltage, and temperature). The phidgetInterface 8/8/8 fit that perfectly.

Having done that, I see there could be a need to add additional device support. My first goal would be to allow multiple interface kits, thereby not limiting to only 8 analog devices as an example. Adding the RFID kit would be a simple enough possibilitiy.

However I don't expect to see any return on my investment since I personally don't have the need. I'm not charging for the plug-in and would have to purchase additional hardware for testing purposes.

I do think I should fire off an email to Phidgets. Perhaps if they see they could increase sales via the use of this plug-in, they may be willing to volunteer some hardware.
            Mike

Comment

Wow! Great! If you need testing, I have the RFID hardware, I'd be willing to test with (it's embedded in my wall, or I'd let you borrow it to play with)

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Mike,
                When loading the config page i get 8 errors about the sensors.dat file
                The file is located at C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HSPRO\html\MytMyk_Phidgets\Sensors.dat
                30/01/2010 12:39:45 ~!~ERROR~!~MytMyk Phidgets ERROR: Problem reading data file 'sensors.dat'. Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A004C (CTL_E_PATHNOTFOUND)
                30/01/2010 12:39:45 ~!~ERROR~!~MytMyk Phidgets ERROR: Problem reading data file 'sensors.dat'. Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A004C (CTL_E_PATHNOTFOUND)
                Attached Files

Comment

I found the problem. There was a hard-coded {troubleshooting} path I forgot to remove. Since this is the first time the plug-in was used outside my environment, hopefully there will be no more of these!!

I've updated the plug-in to v1.0.0.1.

Thanks for the heads up!
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
                    I found the problem. There was a hard-coded {troubleshooting} path I forgot to remove. Since this is the first time the plug-in was used outside my environment, hopefully there will be no more of these!!

I've updated the plug-in to v1.0.0.1.

Thanks for the heads up!
                    Working now Thanks.

Comment

I am very interested in this. Like you I would be using it to monitor a solar energy system. My DC battery system is 110 volt, I know this is unusual by today's standards but I set it up 30 years ago and it has many advantages over low voltage systems. Anyway, it seems the devices on the website u mentioned measure only up to 30v DC. Am I correct?

Comment

Yeah the phidget voltage sensor is limited to +-30 volts. Depending on the 110v output impedance, you might be able to construct a 20:1 voltage divider, but you'd have to be carefull that it wouldn't short circuit and apply the full 100v to the phidget interface!
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
                          Yeah the phidget voltage sensor is limited to +-30 volts. Depending on the 110v output impedance, you might be able to construct a 20:1 voltage divider, but you'd have to be carefull that it wouldn't short circuit and apply the full 100v to the phidget interface!
                          That is what I thought. Thx. I have writen the phidget folks to see if they have some idea or custom device.

Do you know of any way for me to get 110V DC sensing either inside of homeseer or in a stand alone internet enabled device?

Comment

Use a resistive voltage divider to derive a 11.1 volt sample and scale the result. Use a 20 volt Zener diode and a fuse to protect the Phidget input (if the voltage goes above 20 ----200 volts on the input of the divider--- the zener will conduct and blow the fuse, protecting the input device.

Comment

Originally posted by telewizard13 View Post
                              Use a resistive voltage divider to derive a 11.1 volt sample and scale the result. Use a 20 volt Zener diode and a fuse to protect the Phidget input (if the voltage goes above 20 ----200 volts on the input of the divider--- the zener will conduct and blow the fuse, protecting the input device.
                              I'm a bit challenged by this idea, but want to see if it will work as I really need to measure the voltage of my 110 V battery bank in HS and/or from the internet.

Would such an approach give accurate results? Where do I buy these things. If you have the time, please write a cookbook description. I'm a biologist not an enginner.

Comment

Working...
                              X