Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devices not reacting to SetDeviceStatus or SetDeviceValue

I am puzzled. In a script I try to set a zwave light dimmer on by calling
    SetDeviceStatus() that did not work. Then I tried to change the dim in stead with SetDeviceValue(). No luck.

At this point I realized that HS did in fact change the dim value of the device, as the new dim value was reported in the web UI. However, the device did not receive any commands over zwave to change the dim level.

When I turn the device on/off or change dim via the web interface the commands work perfecly.

What am I missing here? This should be homeseer at its most basic level.

If you want to control a device you need to use hs.transmit. SetDeviceValue is used to store dim levels or "other" data. Neither SetDeviceValue or SetDeviceStatus will control a device.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Aah! Thanks!!

I think the "transmit" method should be listed under the devices section in HTML help files. Reading the documentation on SetDevice and SetDeviceValue I thought I would actually make the device do something. This leaves me wonder what I would use those methods for....

Much appreciated the help!

Comment

If your HS 'device' has a corresponding real-world physical device, it would be a special circumstance to use these commands. For me they're most useful for virtual devices that have no physical counterpart, that you might be using to store information, such as the temperature reading from a sensor or the number of times the phone rang while you were away of if the mail carrier has been by yet.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Makes sense, since variables are something Homeseer is not too happy about (implemented as GetVar/SetVar) that means variables can be implemented as virtual devices. This also explains why creating new devices has default "Hide device from views " since virtual devices are supposed to hold global variables. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X