How to remotely control winamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remotely control winamp

Hi guys does anyone know a way to control winamp over the network with a simple command line interface.

E.G.
    My media server is located in the attic and downstairs i have a laptop with the mk 19 mouse remote. i would like to control winamp with that mouse but winamp is on the machine in the attic.

Thanks for tha help guys

I've never had this need, but it should be possible to do this simply with DCOM. The machine where mouseremote is installed should have the DCOM setting (run dcomcnfg.exe) for winamp to be on the remote rather than the local computer. Of course you cannot then run winamp on the mouseremote computer since all references to it will now go the remote one.

DCOM does require authentication so there will be a delay between when a button is pressed and the remote winamp responds. Authenticaion will not be a login sequence, but an internal handshake between the two computer's OS's.

Comment

Down load winampcom and it has a built in interface that allows you to control winamp via a web interface.

-Rupp
      ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Snowcrash is a WinAmp plug-in that allows you to control WinAmp remotely from a browser. The browser interface lets remote users select playlists, pause, play, skip, etc.
        Snowcrash lets you control an instance of WinAmp that's running on a remote machine in a simple, lightweight fashion... and did I mentioned that it's FREE.

I use it and it delivers right what I need. It doesn't give you a command line interface but commanding it from a browser is equally easy.

There is another thread that covers the subject.

CarlosHouse.com

Comment

Take a look at Todd's post at MouseRemote for Winamp. Looks like exactly what you are trying to do.

Comment

Thanks mates i will go explore you answers....

God bless ya

Greetz P.S.Y.C.H.O.T.I.C.

Comment

Is winamp designed or have the native ability to be controlled via the commandline?
              Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Unfortunately, WinAmp doesn't expose itself as a COM object (therefore, it's not natively scriptable). In order to control it from another application, you have to use C/++ to find the window and then send window messages to it to control it.

Command line control is very limited. In fact, you can only do two things:

WINAMP.EXE <filename> will stop whatever's going on and play <filename>
                WINAMP.EXE /ADD <filename> will add <filename> to the current playlist

It was disappointing to find this out, since I was considering adding WinAmp support to my WAPSeer scripts. I MAY write a DLL that plugs into the scripting host so that you can script WinAmp actions, if there is sufficient interest.

(After looking futher on here, it looks like someone already did just that. Does anyone have this working?)
                Justin

[This message was edited by Justin Gould on Sunday, 08 September 2002 at 06:01 PM.]

Comment

Working...
                X