Discussion Thread for Remote Tray Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion Thread for Remote Tray Switches

This is the discussion thread for Remote Tray Switches.

Link to Remote Tray Switches in the Script Library

This is a very cool program. I haven't seen it in use yet, as I'm at w*rk and unable to install it, but going from the documentation, it sounds like it's going onto my system straightaway. Looks very well implemented, robust and self-contained; I like that.

There is one option that might be a pain to add, but that I'd like you to consider: add a checkbox to the configuration that says "Save tray space by showing only one item". If it's checked, only the first item (or one you've selected, or something) will be displayed with its icon. However, if you right-click on it, instead of going straight into the configuration, you would get a menu showing all the other devices and their status icons, then a separator, then Configuration. Clicking one of those menu items would act like clicking the icon would have done in the current version.

Like this, I'd be able to have the one device whose status is most important, or which I want to change most often, immediately available; and others that aren't as important are only two clicks away.

Another way to do this that would be even more flexible is if every device had a "Show in system tray" checkbox that's checked by default. At least one must be checked. If any are unchecked, then a right-click on any of the devices gives you a menu like described above, showing {all devices? or just those unchecked? whichever is easier} plus Configuration. If none are unchecked, it works just like it does now.

In fact, I'll bid $5 for this job. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Nucleus Home Automation
    News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

Big cuddo's and a question: is the status of the icon updated when it is changed from a different source, like from the pc running homeseer?

Just won't have time to run your program the next days, but it definitly sounds good!

Richard

Comment

Thanks for your comments. I will look into implementing your suggestion in the next release. However, as you probably know, standard VB6 context menus don't have the facility for putting an image on them. This means that I will have to emulate a context menu using a form.

Comment

Yes, but only on a "pull" basis similar to the HomeSeer status web page. This was the reason for the "Status Refresh" option. I considered various ways of pushing the status updates to the the remote clients, but they all added a considerable amount of complexity and overhead to the project.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martin Neville:
            Thanks for your comments. I will look into implementing your suggestion in the next release. However, as you probably know, standard VB6 context menus don't have the facility for putting an image on them. This means that I will have to emulate a context menu using a form.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The icon is just a nicety. If I could right-click and get a simple context menu that said the same things as the pop-up tips say now ("Torchiere: Dim" and "Dining Room Fan: Off" at the moment [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]) that would make me very very happy. Having a little icon next to that is just gravy -- don't let it slow you down.

TraySwitch is now running on my system. I'm sure within a few days I'll be wondering how I lived without it.

Nucleus Home Automation
            News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

I'm still using the old-style UltraView 2.0 method where every status change causes a new status XML file to be created.. It would be nice to be able to drive the status off of this file, ensuring that the devices are in synch without any additional overhead.

Comment

Martin,
                This is Excellent!
                Neat, Clean, Simple!
                Right down to the log entry's
                This will kick azz on a thin client.
                It's even handy on the HS Server.
                A perminent addition to my intranet.
                .........HS.RULES.............JG
                3.0.0.548: HS3PRO - 3.0.5.10: AIAlert - 2.1.1.0: APIWeather - 2.0.64.0: BLBackup - 2.0.45.0: BLLAN - 2.0.37.0: BLRoombaWifi - 1.0.0.3: DevLog - 1.2.5.15: KeyPad - 3.0.2.25: NetCAM - 0.0.0.52: Pushover 3P - 3.0.0.5: SendVFD - 1.0.0.3: Tiles - 3.0.11.0: Z-Wave

Comment

Martin,

I can't get thru the setup process. I'm getting "Can't create AutoRedraw image" error message. I'm trying to run the setup program on a Win98SE box. I've also tried your full install zip and ran the VB6 runtime package with the same results. Anybody try this on a Win98 box?

Update: I just installed it on another Win98 box and it installed fine. Any ideas on what might be missing to cause the erro on my other machine?

Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Augusto on Tuesday, 27 August 2002 at 08:38 PM.]
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I have lost you on this one. Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it an UltraView web page will not refresh as a result of a device changing state. It will only be refreshed every "iRefresh" interval. The XML file may be recreated when a device changes status but that doesn't help us as it's still at the server.

The overhead of downloading the UltraView XML file and decoding it would in fact be considerably greater than the overhead imposed by calls to trayswitch.asp which checks the current ststus with HomeSeer and only returns a few bytes of data to the remote PC.

Can I suggest that you try Simple Remote Switches with a Refresh rate of 1 Min and see if it makes any noticeable difference to the performance of your system ?

HTH [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm runnin SE, It installed great and accesses the 98se HS box. I had to drop the trayswitch.asp into my HS/html directory. I hope you get it working, Itz a great addition to HS.................JG

note: I use a hosts file, DHCP, ICS, and only TCP-IP! VB runtimes were already up to date.

Paul: Maybe a Direct X issue???..........JG

[This message was edited by Jebus on Tuesday, 27 August 2002 at 08:47 PM.]
                      3.0.0.548: HS3PRO - 3.0.5.10: AIAlert - 2.1.1.0: APIWeather - 2.0.64.0: BLBackup - 2.0.45.0: BLLAN - 2.0.37.0: BLRoombaWifi - 1.0.0.3: DevLog - 1.2.5.15: KeyPad - 3.0.2.25: NetCAM - 0.0.0.52: Pushover 3P - 3.0.0.5: SendVFD - 1.0.0.3: Tiles - 3.0.11.0: Z-Wave

Comment

I haven't seen that one before, I will have to do a bit of research on it. It's getting quite late here in the UK so it may have to wait till the morning.

Did you close down all the other bits of software running on your machine before you ran the setup ?
                        In particular, I have known VB setup to throw a wobbler if there is any antivirus software running.

Since I produced the documentation I have tested the setup on a Win98SE machine with no problems.

Is any one else getting this error message ?

An initial search on this error message suggests that VB Setup is running out of memory. What is the spec of your machine ?

[This message was edited by Martin Neville on Tuesday, 27 August 2002 at 09:11 PM.]

Comment

Since a large (probably nearly all) uses of this application will be intranet-based, the XML file could reside in a shared directory and be read via your app with a Timer (with a configurable Interval property?).

I'm not concerned about the performance, I was just trying to bridge the delay vs. real time gap a little! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I did successfully install it on another Win98 machine so it's got to be something funky with my other machine. Thanks for the heads-up on a possible memory issue. I'll try to lighten the load when I try to install again.

I've played with it a little on the machine I did get it installed on, a Panisonic CF-01. I've got to connect a keyboard to it before I set up any more devices - it's murder trying to type with a stylus!

I see a potential security hole though. You don't have any kind of authorization check in trayswitch.asp so anyone who knows your server address can send commands to turn things on and off if you allow guest access.

Paul

Comment

Props!

Installed 1,2,3. I did a remote access to my work desktop, quick download and install!

Comment

Working...
                              X