Daily Bible Verse or Devotional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Bible Verse or Devotional

I have seen Scripts that read, for example "This day in History' and was wondering if anyone out there had a script that would read a Daily Bible verse or Devotional? Thanks for any information./

Thats a good Idea for a script. Do you have a good web site to get the info from?

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have something similiar to this that is currently written in Cold Fusion. It displays a verse at the top of a web page each time you login. I'll see about converting it over to asp and then HS could speak it.
      However, the database that I started only has Proverbs and Matthew in it so far.
      I'll look around and see if I can find something online to use.

Jeff Farmer

--
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thanks CFGuy.

-Rupp

Comment

I am sure you can parse that page for daily information. I know they send out an email every day with a devotional attached.

Dave

Ocelot for IR and x10
          HomeSeer Ver 1.6
          HS Phone Ver 1.0.xx

Comment

I'm planning on working on this over the weekend so if you can post any ideas or features you want that will help me plan this out.

There are some site that do a daily verse that I can get and have it displayed in a web page and/or have HS speak it. Would you prefer a devotional? Which ones?

I can write a script that goes out and gets the verses/devotionals and stores them in an ini file so that you can then schedule a script as often as you want. OR I can store them in a database and then you would be building up a library of past verses and devotionals. Then a web page could be written to search the past entries for display on a webpage or click a button to schedule them to be spoken on a certain day.

Let me know your ideas.

Jeff Farmer

--
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone
            Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

is in my morning wake up events to add an event that would speak a daily scripture.

Simple enough I think.

Thanks

Ocelot for IR and x10
              HomeSeer Ver 1.6
              HS Phone Ver 1.0.xx

Comment

I was thinking along the same line as DaveInSouth Florida. Thanks alot CFGuy.

Comment

Thats what I had in mind as well. With that, I found a web page that would be very easy to parse.

http://www.lehrmangroup.com/verse/

-Rupp

Comment

I used to have Task Scheduler bring up the Charles Stanley web page devotional at http://www.intouch.org. The devotional links to http://www.biblegateway.net for verses.

You could easily write a script to access BibleGateway (they use querystrings) and read a verse. BibleGateway has many versions and even has audio. If we could figure out how to bring the audio in, it would sound much better than TTS plus would keep TTS free to do other work.

But, I found that I wasn't always at my computer (honestly!) when Task Scheduler triggered it. Went to the old tried and true book Bible and then drifted to just some scripture on Sundays.

This sound like a good idea and could get my back on track.

Jim Doolittle
                    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                    My Hardware & Software

Comment

I have been playing around with the idea of HS asking me if I would like to hear some information that it has gathered. For instance,
                      HS: I have some breaking news for you. Would you like to hear it now?
                      Me: (if I'm around to hear it) Yes I would. (If I'm not around HS will wait 5 seconds for a response. If no response will go back to the scheduled event time to ask the question again)

Maybe you might want to use this idea in getting the Bible verses.

Danny

Comment

I like the idea of using their voice as well. Just download the file and play it over the house audio system. I'm envisioning using a palm pad when I get up to "launch" the devotional, news, weather, and daily schedule.

-Rupp

Comment

The site that has the voice files are using Real Audio. I don't know of any way to download the actual sound file.

I did find a site to get a daily reading from. Rather than going to the site every time you want to hear the scriptures, I have written a script that you schedule to run sometime in the night. I have mine running at 2:25am. It gets the verses and saves it to a text file. Then a second script that you can setup whatever trigger you want to use will get the scriptures from the text file and speak them.

I'm headed to my parents for the day, but hope to finish this up and post it tonight.

I have done something similiar to what Rupp is wanting. I have seperate scripts to speak the Weather, Calendar Reminders, and now the Daily Bible reading. Then I wrote another script that calls the other scripts one after another. I then have an ini file setup to turn on or off each of the three sections.

Jeff Farmer

--
                          Jeff Farmer
                          HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

That sounds perfect. Cant wait to see it.

Dave

Ocelot for IR and x10
                            HomeSeer Ver 1.6
                            HS Phone Ver 1.0.xx

Comment

The script is ready for downloading.

Script Download

Jeff Farmer

--
                              Jeff Farmer
                              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
                              X