X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[script][vbs] CNN headlines 0.9

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...3&m=9282914976

waiting for comments [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Xplosiv

I ran your script and it seems to have set up correctly. My virtual device gets the headlines, but is it supposed to create a page with the results? What are the options as far as seeing or hearing the results?

Thanks
    Joe

jjsmd@yahoo.com
    jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

As implemented the script just updates a virtual device that can be viewed on your status page. If you want to do more you can then setup up an .asp page to display as you please.

-Rupp
      ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp is correct, all it does is update a virtual device with the new headlines. You can control the output format by changing the template, i.e. if you want to process this in a page as I did, just include the standard HTML link tags, so you can click it within the webinterface.

You can see it working by going to http://saturn.lightcore.com:13104/custominfo.asp
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)

Comment

How often do you check for breaking news? I have mine set to check every 10 minutes and I believe this is why I'm missing out on most of the breaking news headlines. How long do they leave the alert up?

-Rupp

Comment

most alerts stay up for a while, I got my breaking news set to 5mins (but JUST changed it to 3), and headlines to 10. CNN has a cluster of webservers and gets millions of hits a day, a few more won't hurt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] We aren't even downloading the graphic content, so bandwidth usage is minimal. If you got broadband or a fast connection, even 1 minute wouldn't hurt (I don't set it to 1 because I got too many scripts running every minute as it is). I haven't gotten any alerts today yet, which is what matters since the script was seriously screwed up yesterday.

Is everything working for you now?
            (aka xplosiv)

Comment

people are downloading the script but no one is actually trying it?
              (aka xplosiv)

Comment

It works so good no one has any comments.

-Rupp

Comment

lol Rupp, that is a very nice way of thinking of it.
                  (aka xplosiv)

Comment

actually most people are wondering what it does.
                    I actually expected it to read the headlines. Dont know why, I looked at the script and realized that wasnt the case. But now I get it. It updates my web page when their is news and then takes me to the site.

I just setup a voice event to tell me when the Virtual Device Changes telling me there are some headlines then Turns on my TV to the news.

Very useful to the creative mind.

Ocelot for IR and x10
                    HomeSeer Ver 1.6
                    HS Phone Ver 1.0.xx

Comment

I am adding a routine to my morning script that reads the headlines. If you only want to use it to read headlines to you, and don't care for the webdisplay, then remove the HTML and %%url%% from the HTMLtemplate, it should make processing easier.
                      (aka xplosiv)

Comment

ok, I added the option to hs.speak the headlines with a 2 second pause. All you have to do is call the script using custom_cnn_headlines.txt("main","speak"). This way, you could include it in your goodmorning script or trigger it by a remote. If you just run the script without parameters, it will only update the device.
                        (aka xplosiv)

Comment

xplosiv

I tried running the new script with ("main","speak") and I still get no voice, only the device changes.

Joe

jjsmd@yahoo.com
                          jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

sub main(strOption) needs to be changed to sub main(strMode) in the file named custom_cnn_headlines.txt (If that is what you named the file)

-Rupp

Comment

ack that's what happens when you make a change, hardcode it, then test it, change it so it's a variable and don't test it again. Sorry guys, I did that one in a hurry to make some people happy. Will fix it.
                              (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Working...
                              X