Off to bright script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to bright script

hello, I have looked all over the place,, but can not seem to find this relitivly simple script (of maybe it does not need a script). All I want to so is have the light in my bedroom go from off to bright gently, instead of coming on full bright a 6:00am... Maybe over 10 seconds.

Thanks for any help

Jim

Most lights switches do not support soft start. What kind of a switch are you attempting to control? If it doesn't have smart start then instead of shutting the light off you will need to dim the light to zero and then do a ram to 100%.

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

its just a regular x-10 switch.. i am surprise that there is not a script for it.. you know like one that will set the light to 10%, then 2 seconds later, 20 and so on..

Comment

oh I should have said this in the post, I don't need it to work from the switch, or even a remote, just for my wake up script in the morning

Comment

Instead of trying to go from OFF, try turning it off by dimming to 0% the night before... then you can simply increase dim in 10% increments....

I have seen others post on this as a possible answer....

huggy(d1)
          huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I am not sure if I will exactly be answering your question but you might want to take a look at this Sunrise Clock (Slow Dim) script

Sunrise Clock

Or this slow dim script
            Slow Dim Script

Also do a search for the word "Alarm" in the Srcipts area to find other related posts.

Hope this helps
            Bernie

Comment

This isn't a matter of not having a script handy to do it, it's a matter of the physical capabilities of the switch or module hardware itself. For your garden-variety lamp module or x10.com wall switch, there's simply no command that you can send to it that will get it from off to dim that doesn't first turn it on full blast. If you send a "brighten by 5%" command to a light that's off, it first turns on, full brightness, and then executes your command (and of course it can't get 5% brighter than full).

There's two ways around this. The first is to not turn the device off in the first place, but just dim it all the way down to 0%. Yes, believe it or not, "Dim (0%)" is different from "Off". Then you can gently bring it back up. I do this for a few lights activated by motion sensors in the middle of the night. However, there are situations in which this can be unreliable. In particular, if you're dealing with a wall switch, and during the night, someone taps the wall switch, two bad things happen. First, the light looks off, but a tap on the switch doesn't seem to do anything; because the light was really on (just very, very, very dim) and a tap turns it off. Second, when the morning comes, the light is no longer in the Dim (0%) state, and that first bright command turns it on full blast. Line noise might even do that. If that's a lamp right next to you, that can be (literally) a rude awakening.

The better way is to replace the wall switch or lamp module with one that supports a soft start. Unfortunately, these are generally much more expensive than the "el cheapo" modules they replace. On the up side, they can do a lot more than just soft start; they invariably have other features like true rocker action, two-way communications, scene support, and other goodies. Even so they may be too expensive to go this route for anything other than a few key locations (like your bedside lamp).

My own very simple script to do a "false sunrise" includes more explanation about this.

Nucleus Home Automation | System Specs
              News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

For everyones help.. Looks like I am going to just buy one of those switches.. wish there were not so expensive, or else I would replace all of my lights with them, but I have like 14 light switches that I replaced already with the "normal" X-10 switch, so that would be pretty expensive..

Comment

Just an FYI that I just picked up a couple LampLink 2000SHL Lamp modules from SmartHome and they were on sale for $11.99. Very good price, and SOOOO much better than my X10 lamp mod. We can finally ramp up the baby's room lamp without the blinding FULL ON of the cheap units. Now I just need to find the same deal on wall switches!

Don't know if they are still on sale, but I just got them Tuesday so they may be.

Jay Fro

Comment

Do the cheapest ($12) models have "ramp on" or do you have to buy the more expensive model?

-Rupp
                    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

YES! The lamp modules ramp on (not just ramp up). They have preset dim also, so for the baby lamp, I set it to 50% bright (only a 25 watt bulb) so when my wife turns it on in the middle of the night with the remote control, it comes on very low automatically. Otherwise she can just dim it up with the remove from off. The other advantage is it has a pass through outlet on the front(in addition to the controlled outlet on the bottom), so you don't even loose an outlet. The fact that it is electronically programmed for house and unit code isn't great.. but not a huge deal. The disadvantage is you don't know what unit/house code it is set too visually (quickly anyway). It does have a status LED on the side which is nice to as it flashes various codes to tell you if it is receiving signals and such.

I just went to the site and they are still on sale it looks like:
                      2000SHL LAMPLINC 2-PIN LAMP MODULE $15.99 (Hot Deal! $11.99) . Also just got an email that you get free shipping for orders of $50 (promotion code E2K0243-1) - wish they would have had it a few weeks ago!

Jay Fro

Comment

Working...
                      X