Hourly Chime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hourly Chime

flagg posted the hourly chime script not too long ago.
    Here are the authentic chime sounds in .wav format.
    And no, I did not take the Concord over to London to record these...

GenevaDude

Well, unfortunatly, due to the size limit imposed on uploads, I'm unable to post the wave files. (300k limit vs. 321k zip file)
    Sorry. If I can find the site I found these, I'll post the link. The chimes are of good quality.

UPDATE: Here is the website you can download the chimes from.
    Big Ben Strikes again
    Just change the script to use these files.

GenevaDude

[This message was edited by GenevaDude on Wednesday, 16 October 2002 at 10:32 AM.]

Comment

I also found a collection of Westminster chimes on the 'net (can't remember where...!) that I used with a modified version of Flagg's script.

There is a different .wav for each hour, quarter hour, half-hour, and three-quarter hour. I don't know if they're the real thing, but they have a very "analog" quality, as you can hear some background and mechanical noise, and they fade out slowly.

My coding isn't as efficient as Flagg's (still learning..), but I have a reoccurring event that runs the script every 15 minutes - Reference to Hour checked. The script then checks if the minute is equal to "00", and plays the .wav matching whatever hour it is. If the minute is not equal to "00", it plays the matching .wav for :15, :30, or :45 minutes. As the .wavs are long, I use "hs.Playwavfileex "c:\name of wav file,0,20,False" to play the sound in the background.

[This message was edited by kfranzw on Wednesday, 16 October 2002 at 05:58 PM.]

Comment

I would love to implemement this, but my wife would kill me, I thought she was going to zap me with her eyes or something when I told her I wanted to do this.
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)
        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Well, it's not too intrusive if you cut the volume down in the script.

When I had it as the same volume as the text-to-speech messages it would scare me!

Comment

I used the media player in my script:
            hs.MediaMute False
            level = hs.MediaVolume
            hs.MediaVolume = (-600) ' set this up to your preference
            hs.MediaFilename = chime
            hs.MediaPlay
            hs.MediaVolume = level

I don't strike the hour, it interferes with the family too much.
            I really like the westminster chimes I mentioned earlier. Now I'm going to sample the chimes mentioned by kfranzw. kfranzw, your folder is empty

Explosiv, if you can set the volume to a low level, like the clock tower is off in the distance, it has to have an ambiance to it. Tell your wife it sounds romantic

Chime On Dude! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

GenevaDude

Comment

Geneva,

It looks like Yahoo doesn't let you share files anymore unless you subscribe to their "Premium Service".

I could email them to you if you'd like?

My email address is in my profile...

Comment

kfranzw,

If you don't mind. GenevaDude@GenevaDude.com

Many thanks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

GenevaDude

Comment

kfranzw,

Sorry for taking so long, but thenks for the chime files. I like the quarter hour chimes! It sounds like they are a high quality recording of a mantle clock or floor clock!

regards, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

GenevaDude

Comment

Working...
                  X