Windy day - fountain control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windy day - fountain control

Originally posted this in the Weather Station Plug-ins forum. Any scripting help would be appreciated!

Tom

I have VWS and Homeseer running and communicating via the plug-in. My goal is to control the fountain in the backyard based on wind conditions picked up by VWS (stop the fountain pump when the wind is to high to keep the water in the pond).

My initial plan is to stop the pump (via x10) when the wind has been over 10 mph for 3 consecutive minutes, and re-start it when the wind is under 8 mph for 10 minutes.

Obviously once that is working, I want to experiment with gusts, and wind direction, but I'm having trouble getting started.

I have everything working manually, just need some kick-start on setting up the automation.

Thanks in advance

Tom

I don't use the VWS plug-in, but I do use VWS. I have it controlling my sprinklers via the 5-day logging (text files) that VWS creates. That is, I wrote a script to parse the VWS text log file for the last three days, adding up the rain counter and then deciding whether to turn on or off a cyber variable which my sprinkler script then uses once daily to determine whether to reschedule the sprinklers or not.

Since you want near-real-time capability, you'll need to periodically poll the anemometer and keep track of the last three polls. Does the plug-in give you access to poll the windspeed? If so, you can put together a script to run periodically poll the wind speed, keep track of three polled values, take action if they are all above or below the setpoints you spoke of, and perform the action to reduce or turn off your fountain.

Since I don't have the plug-in and am not interested in paying for it, I can't write such a script and test it. Perhaps someone else on the board can.

- huggy
    |
    | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
    http://HiddenGemTech.com - http://MaineMusiciansExchange.org - http://www.WJZF.org

Comment

Huggy

The VWS plug in gives me a series of virtual devices called wind speed, wind gust, etc. So I guess I would want to poll that device once each time period, and keep track (for example the last 6 if it was polling every 30 seconds), and then turn off the x10 pump if the total exceeds my threshhold?? Then I would need to put in the logic for restarting the pump, retaining the settings beyond the time period (so there wouldn't be un necessary x10 traffic if the pump was already in the correct state based on the wind conditions, etc....

I think I can do it, I just can't seem to get started (i.e. how do i write a script to poll at a specific time interval and save the results...)

Thanks
      Tom

Comment

..might look more complex, but eliminates the need for polling every minute or so and might be more accurate.

My guess would be that the virtual device "wind speed" gives you a dim-level to indicate the wind speed. Set up a second device with a name like "wind too hard" (just for clarification, might be renamed later). Set up an event which is triggered by a change in dim-level of the wind speed. Set the "wind too hard" to on if the new dim-level is above a certain treshold, and to off if it is below a certain treshold. We now have a discrete virtual device.

Simply create a new event, with a condition like "if 'wind too hard' has been on fore more as xx minutes..." and viola, HomeSeer takes care of everything for you. No polling, and a more acurate measurement. The pitfall is that you might get more events and virtual devices, but hey, nothing comes for free...

Greetings,

Richard

Comment

Richard

That's exactly the kind of help I was looking for! I'll try it asap.

PS sorry for posting in the wrong forum...

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X