HUNTER GREEN, IM GONNA KISS YOU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HUNTER GREEN, IM GONNA KISS YOU.

Hehehe, ok, not REALLY.. but.. Im SOO damn happy, giddy. I tried Hunter Green's Network Monitor script and it worked on the first time.. Wow... <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Summary:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Lots of people have written network monitor scripts so I never posted mine, but I decided in the end mine has a few nice features that others might like, so here it is. Like the others, this script keeps an eye on your network, monitoring whether other computers and network devices like routers -- basically, anything with an IP address that can be pinged (though if your cable modem can't be pinged, maybe you can ping a router that's beyond it, and rely on that to tell if the modem is up).
    Features of this script:

detects network devices via a user-configurable list of device type names; no need to make a list of devices somewhere

uses a reliable algorithm that detects outages quickly but has few false alarms; a failure only gets counted if a bunch of failures happen in a row

different threshholds for devices marked "forgiving", that is, things where a few failures happen now and then

audible announcements for selected device types

three states for devices: up, alert, and down

correctly maintains the device's "last change" time so it only changes when real changes in status happen

doesn't use hs.Ping since I've never had much luck with it working reliably

tracks the count of failures in the device value; this makes it easy to make events that trigger off of devices reaching certain values -- for instance, make an event triggering off your cable modem reaching value 6 consecutive failures which toggles an appliance module to reset the modem -- no scripting needed, just trigger on Device Value becoming 6!

Installation:

Put network_monitor.txt into the scripts directory and the other txt files in the scripts\include directory. The icons go into the html\icons\devices directory which you may need to create. Unarchiving the file with folder names in your HomeSeer directory should do this for you.

Create devices and set their device types and strings (more instructions are in the file itself). Set up icons for all listed device types.

Customize the file constants if required to control which device types are monitored, which are "forgiving", which are announced, and other factors. Instructions are in the file.

Rename icon files or create new ones if you have device types I didn't provide icons for.

Create an event that runs this script once every two minutes.

Revision History:
    v1.1b 2002-03-09: hope I've finished fixing bugs in v1.1...
    v1.1a 2002-02-18: fixed bug caused by option added in v1.1 that made script only run once
    v1.1 2002-02-15: adds the option to display text status (activated via a constant in the script)
    v1.0a 2002-02-14: fixed bug affecting those whose HomeSeer directory's path has a space in it
    v1.0 2002-02-11: first uploaded to Script Library

Nucleus Home Automation

[This message was edited by Hunter Green on Saturday, 09 March 2002 at 10:29 AM.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    network_monitor.zip (15 Kb, 638 downloads) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside... I think. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nucleus Home Automation | System Specs
    News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

Working...
    X