Network Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Monitor

This script works great but I am having trouble making sure the cable modem is up. I figured the easiest way would be to ping a web site, like Homeseer or Yahoo, or whatever. The problem is I don't know the IP address for them. Does any one know of a IP address I could ping so that I can use that to check the modem?

Thanks

To find an IP for a site, go to a command prompt and type ping domainname.
    Ex. ping www.yahoo.com

The reply will show the sites IP.

Jeff Farmer
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Pinging Yahoo isn't a great way to do this for several reasons. First, there are a lot of systems that could go down in between your cable modem and Yahoo, all of which would give you the "false alarm" of an outage. Second, you're creating traffic on all those systems every few minutes for no good reason, and that burdens the whole system.

Both problems have the same solution: ping something more nearby. Here's how to find something. Use the tracert command on several sites; for instance:

tracert www.yahoo.com
      tracert www.ibm.com
      tracert www.microsoft.com
      tracert www.fbi.gov

The first few hops should be very similar for each of these, and then it should get wildly different. Choose the first IP address listed that appears in most or all the lists, but which isn't inside your own network. Odds are it's a router in your ISP's network. Now try to ping it. If it works, you're golden. If not, try a slightly-farther-away router, ideally one that appears on several of the traceroutes, until you get one that answers a ping.

This will be good both for you (it's more reliable) and for the Internet community (you aren't creating as much unnecessary traffic).

Nucleus Home Automation | System Specs
      News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

Thanks for the help, and for the script, I really appreciate it.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sonypoolplr:
          This script works great but I am having trouble making sure the cable modem is up. I figured the easiest way would be to ping a web site, like Homeseer or Yahoo, or whatever. The problem is I don't know the IP address for them. Does any one know of a IP address I could ping so that I can use that to check the modem?

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most cable modems have a hidden web interface that you can send an ICMP ping to. Mine is on 172.21.162.200. Search google to see if someone knowns what the web interface is for your brand.

Regards,
          Ultrajones
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Working...
          X