X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travisdh
    replied
    Hi Guys,

Im one of those Australian users who would love to have a working TV script that would work with Australian guide data. There does seam to be quite a lack of sources of data however the one that I most commonly use is either shepard (for linux) or epgstream.net which is windows.

I would love to see support added for epgstream.net as it is the easiest (I think) windows based EPG client. In my case I have it set up on my laptop to power my Win Media Centre and that works quite well, it does apparentally output an XMLTV format, but I have not been able to get it to work with any of the TV packages. I will attach a zip of the output, but would it be possible to include support for something like this?

Thanks heaps!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• CFGuy
    replied
    smee,
    Here you go. A new thread.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...3&m=1792911196

Jeff Farmer

Leave a comment:

• CFGuy
    replied
    David, don't worry about the cleanup of old listings. I already have a cleanup routine that will clear out the old listings. It allows the admin to set how many days of old data to keep.

Once you get the script working, I'll move it over to the exe that way it can run in as a seperate process and not affect HS. Then we can add Austrailia as one of the options and have that call your code.

Send you code when you are ready. I have a pretty busy week ahead.

Jeff Farmer

Leave a comment:

• c912039
    replied
    Jeff,

I am progressing, albeit much slower than I would like <G>.

I have had to increase some of the other field sizes as well - Ill send you a list tonight.

I have had to use the episodenum column for another purpose - our listings dont have episode numbers, but do have a unique program ID value. I have had to se this to stop duplicate entries being added to the database.

The routine works currently when you download the max 7 days guide into the DB, but the nightly update fails, because of the duplicate program ID values (I will fix that tonight).

Next I will work on the automatic purge routine for old data, and a repack of the database, and then finally tidy up the code, because its a mess!

Ive also had to add alot of errorchecking, especially because of a HS.GETURL bug cropping up now and then.

Would you be interested in peer-reviewing my code to make sugestions on improvements?

Many thanks
    David
    Adelaide, Australia

Leave a comment:

• Krumpy
    replied
    We are voicing our opinions. Bill was right, my intent was to vote for leaving favorites as they were and for Jeff to release the current version. Also the "sounds fair" question was written because I knew someone (maybe Jebus) wanted some modifications to favorites and I wanted to voice my opinion, but yet fully respect his and others wishes.

Based on my discussion with Jeff, this is going to be an awesome upgrade!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jeff:

You're just dealing with people who see a really neat new toy and want to play with it - pretty normal, I think, for a lot of the people around here. I too am anxiously awaiting your release - it will be my first foray into tv listings.

I understand needing to work when you could be doing other things. I've had to be at work all weekend - thinking about all the HS projects (hardware and software) that I'd like to be working on at home.

My only request is that you start a new thread when you release the beta.

Leave a comment:

• CFGuy
    replied
    Ok guys, lets not argue over this. It really isn't worth anyone getting upset over.
    There are some feature requests that I haven't had time to add but I've tried to make sure the database is ready for it when I do get to add it.

I apologize for the delay in getting this project out. I have two part time website jobs, in addition to my full time job and sometimes the part time jobs send me more than other times. This past week was one of those times so I didn't get to work much on the tv scripts.
    I'm planning on working on the tv scripts the rest of today and should be able to get it far enough along to put out a beta. I can finish up the rest of the favorites this week.

Tom already has the installer ready to go so all he would have to do is put the new files in and post it.

Jeff Farmer

Leave a comment:

• CFGuy
    replied
    David K,
    I have changed the description field to a memo so go ahead and make that change in the copy I sent you.
    There is no need for seperate entries. The listings can span midnight.

How are you coming on data mining the Australian listings?

Jeff Farmer

Leave a comment:

• c912039
    replied
    Hi Jeff,

Im working on that routine to directly import data from Australian online TV Guides (actually there is only one source available to us), but I have a couple of questions relating to your database structure.

1. Some of the fields used on the Australian guides are larger than you allow in the tvlisting table. For example, quite a few Descriptions are much larger than 255 chars, and thus the field would have to be changed to a 'memo' type instead of text(255).
    So, if there is any interest in the routine, would you prefer to modify the default DB structure to accomodate the large requirements for Aussie guides, or would you prefer a special 'Aussie' version of the TVListings database to be released with my routines?

2. How are records that start prior to midnight, and finish the next day handled? Are there two seperate entries in the database for the same TV program, one for the time prior to midnight, and the other for the remaining time after midnight, OR is there just one entry, and the ASP pages handle 'continuing' programs from the previous day?

Many thanks
    David
    Adelaide, Australia

Leave a comment:

• Jebus
    replied
    I wasn't flaming, nor did not insunate demands. I was just voicing my opinion to the question of "sound fair?" It didn't.
    From the very small amount of coding I know, there is a lot of time that goes into developing and testing code. These people have lives. It is also easier to design the code in from the start, than to modify it later. I would rather have a finished rembrant than a unfinished one. Again, no flames, just my 2 cents......................JG

The Garage

Leave a comment:

• bdickhaus
    replied
    Jebus,

In Krumpy's defense (and mine) the point is not that we expect the product yesterday, but that we would rather have the basic product today, rather than waiting a couple of months while bells and whistles are added that some people (like me) will never use.

Having been in every role of a software project, from programmer (over my professional career I've written tens of thousands of lines of code, not including what I've developed as a hobby) to designer, to project manager, to executive management, and even end user, I know how programmers think. We always want to go one, or more, steps beyond, just because we can. But that is not always the best thing to do.

I do appreciate what they are doing (I've done it myself) and have said so in other posts. The original TV scripts were a work of art, and I've said that too.

I really think all Krumpy and I are asking for is that for this first release, just get it out the door. The bells and whistles can come later. And we are asking, not demanding.

Bill

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I liked the way they work, would just like to be able to have favorite channel list.

Also would like to have the speaking info customizable.

Its late and I might be talking out of my kneck.

Leave a comment:

• Jebus
    replied
    Jeff,
    I see the favorites tracking the shows that I watch the most and applying weighting to them. Then an option somewhere, so that if I were home or I am occupied, HS would automatically record the, say 5 most watched programs. That way your favorite shows could be dynamic in nature, without user intervention. Example: If I watched Monster Truck Garage every week, it would eventually make to the top of the list and if by chance I was late from work one night it was on, Hs would have it waiting for me, when I arrived home.

Krumpy,
    That is not fair. These people are professional programmers.
    They have spent countless hours and dollars perfecting their trade. They are doing the TV listings as gratis. Asking them to release code before they are satisfied that all requests have been addressed in some way, and their code is right, and then inundating them with feature or support requests is not fair to them or their families. We have all been waiting for this awesome code to use, but I would wait another six months if they felt it wasn't ready.
    ....JG

The Garage

Leave a comment:

• bdickhaus
    replied
    Jeff,

I agree with Krumpy. I was very happy with the Favorites as it worked before, and really can't think of anything else to add.

An entirely redesigned and rewritten set of scripts might prompt additional ideas, but not until I see it!

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Krumpy
    replied
    I would vote to do the best you can without delaying its release. We have been waiting and would suggest to release it, then we can all discuss future improvements.

Sound fair?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X