X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bed Time Problem

Howdy

I've got a teenager problem. They don't go to bed when told ;o((

Is there a way to disconnect WAN access to a PC via a batch or event?

I'm running a Linysys router(BEFSR41)via a toshiba cable modem (PCX100U)

Thanks
    Steve

Does this router offer scheduling? Someone mentioned a while back that they wrote some web pages to automatically turn off the wireless connectivity. I did a search and couldn't find that thread though. Use the search link at the top and search to see if you can locate it. If I run across it I'll post the link.

-Rupp

If you think a 401K is the size of your mother-in-laws bra ... You might be a red neck.
    πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Agro

I have the 8 port version a BEFSR 81 and I do not know of a way to disable selected ports. However you could power your Linksys router from an X-10 appliance module and shut it down for any day part with HS. Alternately you could purchase an inexpensive 5 port Ethernet hub or switch (a switch is better). Connect the uplink port of the new hub or switch to any PC port on the BEFSR 41, then connect the PC you wish to disable to the new Hub/Switch. Using an X-10 appliance module on the new device would allow you disable network connectivity for the PC’s connected to it and still have the remainder of the network working. Good luck with the teenagers…They are a special breed!!!

Comment

Here's a very good WIRED solution if you router isn't wireless.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...303#7366079303

-Rupp

If you think a 401K is the size of your mother-in-laws bra ... You might be a red neck.
        πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Howdy

Thanks for your replies guys ;o))

I don't want to turn off the modem or router to get around getting teenages to bed, that would take the whole house WAN/LAN access down.
          I also read about someone trying to cut into a single wire in the cat5 run from the router to the PC.
          This I don't want to do because I think the data of the line your cutting could get noise or out of time with the rest of the signals.
          Changing the twist and adding a length of wire to one of the data lines can't be good surely.

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

BTW - Does anyone know what the longest run you can do with CAT5 is (Router to PC)?

On the BEFRS41 Router (4 Port hardwire)
          If I go to http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm
          (Router Setup which is Password Protected of course)
          I can add the IP addy of the PC I want to restrict access to the internet.
          There is also a port screen I can play with.

STEVE
          Have a look at that page above and see if it's the same on the 8 port - I'ld think it would be similar.
          Goodluck

RUPP
          I had a quick look at that thread you sent with CFGUYS script. I want to try and work out what the script is doing b4 I run it <g>
          This weekends job I hope.
          Looks like you've put me on the right track again ;o))
          Let you know how I go.
          Thanks bud.

Steve

[This message was edited by Agro on Sun, 06 July 2003 at 01:06 PM.]

Comment

...maybe the use of the "tab" for

TV & Video Game Time in options

should now add Internet.

Hub & port X10 shutdown works great for specific PC's ... just like at work
            HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

Comment

How about adding a switch or hub in front of the router? Then put the cat5 runs from the rooms you want to shut off on the switch, and power down the switch instead of the router to block access. You might even be able to use the TV/Video tab to control the appliance module on the switch.

Comment

Is the access wired or wireless. If it were wireless then it might be the right time to buy a new router that has scheduling for individual wireless connections. I was just at BestBuy this week end and after rebates the router was $40 and the wireless card was $35.

-Rupp

Comment

Argo,

The max length on a cat 5e data cable is around 310 feet. That is the lenght that testers fail them. However it can go longer without any noticalbe length.
                  I install data networks for a living and have done them up to around 500 ft with some speed issues. However if you need to go longer just put a small hub/switch around the 300ft mark and you will be fine.
                  Kirk

http://cleverhouseautomation.ca
                  http://southcoastwebsitedesign.ca

Comment

Saw this recently... could be just what you are looking for.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D7T7CK7O1.html

Comment

I would go with the idea of having a second switch/wireless AP controlled by an appliance module in a locked closet, then just use homeseer to schedule power to it, without power, no network connectivity. You could also remotely shut down the computer if you had to.

HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                      (aka xplosiv)
                      Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Working...
                      X