Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Photos via Home Seer

Hello:
    I posted the message below on the general board and Rick said that this had been discussed before and that perhaps someone has made a script or asp to do do this.
    I did a search of this message board and didn't find much. Perhaps I am searching for the wrong words. I am an engineer and not a programer and I am not a "scripter". Yes, I know I can use email to do this, but not everybody wants gobblebytes of unwanted email. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks, John

Hello:
    I have a few photos I would like to make available to a few friends. Can I use HS to do this? I tried adding a folder located in the html folder and then installing a HS button that linked to the new folder. Hopefully the button would display the contents of this folder and let them browse and take what they want. It didn't work. Maybe I need an extension following the folder name in the link or somethihng like that.

I realize that you can set up personal web sites with many services to do just this, but it just seems like an "almost there" for HS and shouldn't be hard if it is possible. I only have about 30 pictures I wish to share, and they are already on the computer on which HS resides. Most of the people that would have interest in the pictures already have access to HS. Any Thoughts on an easy way to do this with HS?

Thanks, John

You are on the right track, John, but you'll need to create and HTML page to allow the viewers to "see" the pictures files (like a directory listing), or tell them what the picture file names are so they can type it into their browsers.

Are you familiar with making basic HTML pages?

- Gordon

"Security is EVERYONE'S business!"
    |
    | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
    HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

If you have the Include Scripts installed from the updater then you can use the page attached here. Drop it into a directory and it will read all the gifs, jpgs and jpegs and display them in a table.

If you look at picturemaker.asp there is a function call that sets the options.

imagelist(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO"),20,0,20)

The Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO") tells the function what directory to look in.
      The second parameter tells it how wide in pixels the images should display at. Set to 0 to display the width at whatever the image already is.

The third parameter tells it how tall in pixels the images should display at. Set to 0 to display the height at whatever the image alrady is.

The fourth paramter tells it how many images per row.

Jeff Farmer
      HomeSeer user since March, 2000

Attached Files
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

neat - would you mind adding the other scripts to the zip - like Qsort?

Comment

QSort is in the file sort_functions.asp. It is part of the Include files from the updater.

Jeff Farmer
          HomeSeer user since March, 2000

--
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone
          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Cool script, Jeff. The includes in the Updater are awesome. I've been using them for a while now and I recommend them to anyone.

Joe
            Humpty Dumpty didn't fall, he was pushed.

Comment

Jeff,

This is a really good idea but, I have not been able to get these asps up and running due to lack of instructions.

Can you please tell me what I need to change to configure this to my set up?

Thanks,

- SPYguy
              ... You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Gandhi

Comment

Hi: To make this work I put both asp's in my photo folder. My photo folder is in the html folder. I then created a button on HS which points to picturemaker.asp in the photo folder. Wallah, it worked. Really neat!

Now here are the questions: 1)I would like to make this the first page of the website, so I put it on the first page HS button and checked the box. When I go to the web site it comes up first like it should, BUT the thumbnails don't display. Can this be fixed?

2)If I were to use the "PATH_INFO" parameter, how would I use it? I tried putting both asp's in the html folder and then replacing "PATH_INFO" with the path to my photo folder and I couldn't get it to work. Just how should the path be specified, and in which folder should both asp's be placed? This is all probably very easy for someone who programs a lot, but I am an engineer, not a programer and I don't know html or scripting, so please be patient. I was really pretty proud of myself when I got it to work as stated above.

Thanks in advance, John

Comment

As CFGuy posted above, You are correct. You drop it into a folder where your images are, and it will display them, when you call the URL to it.
                  The "Path_Info" is needed to ask the Server where to get the images from for display...JG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you have the Include Scripts installed from the updater then you can use the page attached here. Drop it into a directory and it will read all the gifs, jpgs and jpegs and display them in a table.
                  <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message was edited by Jebus on Fri, 31 October 2003 at 07:37 PM.]
                  3.0.0.548: HS3PRO - 3.0.5.10: AIAlert - 2.1.1.0: APIWeather - 2.0.64.0: BLBackup - 2.0.45.0: BLLAN - 2.0.37.0: BLRoombaWifi - 1.0.0.3: DevLog - 1.2.5.15: KeyPad - 3.0.2.25: NetCAM - 0.0.0.52: Pushover 3P - 3.0.0.5: SendVFD - 1.0.0.3: Tiles - 3.0.11.0: Z-Wave

Comment

Oh OK, I see. I made the assumption that since you were to set (or could set) parameters 2, 3 and 4, that you should (or could) also set parameter 1 ("PATH_INFO") I was obviously making more work out of it than needed.

Now back to question 1), any idea why the thumbnails won't work when the photo page is called as the first page displayed (i.e. prior to calling the HS home page)? Is there something that starts when the HS Home Page starts, and maybe this "something" is needed for thumbnails and isn't running yet?

John

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John C Rooks:
                      To make this work I put both asp's in my photo folder. My photo folder is in the html folder. I then created a button on HS which points to picturemaker.asp in the photo folder. Wallah, it worked.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't as lucky. I did everything that John did above but only end up with a summary of what's in the folder but cannot access them:
                      "Contents of C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\html\house
                      There are 47 files "

I think I'm close but what am I missing or doing wrong?

- SPYguy

Comment

SPYguy,

1) Do you see the pictures on the page?

2) What do you mean you can't access them? What happens when you click on an image. (Assuming answer for 1 = true.)

Joe
                        HomeSeer Rocks!

Comment

I had that happen also. I think it might have been when I tried linking the button to the other asp. Make sure that you have it linked to picturemaker.asp. I will let my sub conscious work on this a while and see if I can remember exactly what I did to get your situation. Hang in there SPYguy. You are very close. Whatever I did to fix it was very minor. Incidentally, I am running winMe(yuk, I know) on this computer.

For what it is worth, I also edited picturemaker.asp with wordpad and changed the numbers in imagelist(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO"),20,0,20) from ,20,0,20 to ,100,100,20 so that the thumbnails would be bigger. I don't think that has anything to do with your problem as I recall but I thought I would mention it.

Has anybody had any grand thoughts about why this doesn't work when you make this page appear before the HS home page?

John

Comment

John,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would like to make this the first page of the website, so I put it on the first page HS button and checked the box. When I go to the web site it comes up first like it should, BUT the thumbnails don't display. Can this be fixed?
                            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it can and here is one way to do it.

1) Create a new file with notepad and type in this one line:

&lt;%Response.Redirect("photo/picturemaker.asp")%&gt;

or change the word photo to whatever directory your picturemaker.asp and picture files are in (relative to the html folder.)

2) Save this new file as imageredirect.asp and put it in the html folder.

3) Change Page 1 to imageredirect.asp.

4) Enjoy the view.

Explanation:

The first page served up by HS has to reside in the HTML folder. Well, it doesn't really have to but the current path will still be the root folder (html) and not your photo folder. That is why the page displayed but the images didn't. If you threw all your photos and picturemaker.asp in the html folder then it would work the way you want. But putting everything in the html folder is not recommended.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Joe
                            HomeSeer Rocks!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe's Place:
                              1) Do you see the pictures on the page?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No pictures. I only see the text that I mentioned above telling me how many files are in the folder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2) What do you mean you can't access them? What happens when you click on an image.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At this point there are no images to click on.

I have made sure that my link points to picturemaker.asp and that I have it and imagelist.asp in the same folder as the pics.

- SPYguy

Comment

Working...
                              X