Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[exe]Guardian Angel Discussion

Discussion for Library entry Guardian Angel

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">7/27/2002 12:54:58 PM Monitor Process homeseer Utilization at 20% for 10 seconds
    7/27/2002 12:54:58 PM When detected shutdown homeseer
    7/27/2002 12:54:58 PM Then execute c:\Program Files\Homeseer\Homeseer.exe at below_normal priority
    7/27/2002 12:55:01 PM Detected 24.85 % for homeseer
    7/27/2002 12:55:01 PM Closing homeseer
    7/27/2002 12:55:16 PM Terminating because close message did not stop homeseer
    </pre>

Michael: Thanks for sharing this. An extremely good job documenting and your included script/utility URL reference is great too.

This is a nice add on!

- Chris

Comment

when it trips?

I have been trying to use it but it locks up the machine tight. No three finger, no mouse, nothing.

SteveP

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
      The REAL Pledge of Allegiance

Comment

From what I know, if your mouse and keyboard freeze hard, it is a hardware issue, small chance it is a driver issue, but rarely a software issue...

Bill

HomeSeer Page: http://wrb.tzo.com
        Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
        512 MB RAM PC2700
        Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
        ATTNV Crystal 16
        Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
        mcs Temperature (Works great!)
        ROC Outlook (Works great!)
        Video / Captures with ConquerCam
        NetCallerID

~Bill

Comment

The only time my machine has ever locked up tight is when GA had calculated that it needed to restart the PC and maybe started that process.

I am not quite sure this happens but I can't check it out as the machine is totally locked up.

SteveP

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
          The REAL Pledge of Allegiance

Comment

GA operates at the highest priority level which is above the keyboard. When it is monitoring the logic is pretty basic so I would be surprised if there is a problem there. If you try to shutdown a specific process, then problems can occur since the process is malfunctioning and whatever it is related to is also subject. Restart of windows should be a safe action. That is how I have it configured if it sees homeseer is locked. I've run it only on W2K.

You are welcome to the VB source if you want to investigate your situation.

Comment

so are you saying that as GA tries to shut things down, that's when it locks up because the particular thing shutting down is messing up?
              I am trying to understand what's going on here. I would most like to fix the offender rather than have GA kill everything.

How does GA shut stuff down? Can I mimic its approach and just down stuff in the app window.

Is there a wrong way to start GA? I am using the approach of starting it in a script from an event.

Comment

QUOTE - "From what I know, if your mouse and keyboard freeze hard, it is a hardware issue, small chance it is a driver issue, but rarely a software issue..."

ADD ON - "...and when Guardian Angel ver 1.1 trips on my computer..."

NOTE : Ran the test event:

sub main()

'hs.launch hs.GetAppPath & "\GuardianAngel.exe","homeseer|20|10"

hs.launch hs.GetAppPath & "\GuardianAngel.exe","homeseer|20|10|homeseer|c:\Program Files\Homeseer\Homeseer.exe|below_normal"

for i = 1 to 20
                hs.writelog "wait",i
                hs.waitsecs 1
                next

end sub

and it locked hard.

9/11/2003 2:28:55 PM Monitor Process homeseer Utilization at 20% for 10 seconds
                9/11/2003 2:28:55 PM When detected shutdown homeseer
                9/11/2003 2:28:55 PM Then execute c:\Program Files\Homeseer\Homeseer.exe at below_normal priority
                9/11/2003 2:28:58 PM Detected 24.15 % for homeseer
                9/11/2003 2:28:58 PM Closing homeseer

My system specs are below.
                I was running XP PRO Remote Desktop at the time (?)

Thanks for trying, all your other things run great for me and I appreciate what you do for us less talented types.

Cheers! Bill

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
                512 MB RAM PC2700
                Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
                ATTNV Crystal 16
                Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
                NetCallerID

[This message was edited by William Brower on Mon, 22 September 2003 at 09:50 PM.]

~Bill

Comment

I looked into this and found a situation where the window title was not sufficiently unique and different process id's were found on calls subsequent to the first. I changed the internal logic to retain the PID once discovered and my tests show it to be working reliably on a homeseer restart.

What I also noticed is that when the message to shutdown is delivered to homeseer the window closes down, but the process continues to run. GA does handle this in its normal restart sequence.

John Wilson asked me to add another feature to GA. I'll repost when I get it done.

Comment

Thanks!

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
                    512 MB RAM PC2700
                    Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
                    ATTNV Crystal 16
                    Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
                    SECU-16I to be added for security system upgrade soon
                    NetCallerID

~Bill

Comment

V1.2 corrected a lockup problem that occurs when a selective process is restarted. It also added the abiltiy to monitor for a process that stopped running. Running in this context means it is no longer in the Task Manager list of processes.

The update is posted in the library at the reference at the top of this thread.

Comment

Or am I the Guinea pig tomorrow?

Cheers!

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
                        512 MB RAM PC2700
                        Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
                        ATTNV Crystal 16
                        Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
                        Video / Captures with ConquerCam (Separate Computer)
                        NetCallerID

~Bill

Comment

I tried the current version and it worked nicely in shutting down/restarting Homeseer as in the test script.

Is there anyway that it can recognize a 'hung' process? My biggest problem is when Webcam32 doesn't have a 'feed' and chugs to a stop.

Comment

There needs to be some way to characterize the "hung" state. It webcam can provide this status then it can be worked in. If webcam normally uses some minimum cpu time and when the feed stops the time goes to near zero then this could be used.

Comment

Excellent touch on the log entry on the boot up. I have in my start.txt file where HS emails me the GA log.

Thanks Michael!!!!!

9/22/2003 6:30:13 PM~!~Guardian Angel~!~Monitor computer Utilization at 95% for 300 seconds
                              9/22/2003 6:30:13 PM~!~Guardian Angel~!~When detected restart computer
                              9/22/2003 6:30:16 PM~!~Info~!~HomeSeer version is: 1.6.119
                              9/22/2003 6:30:16 PM~!~startup~!~Loading configuration XML file
                              9/22/2003 6:30:17 PM~!~startup~!~Restoring device status
                              9/22/2003 6:30:18 PM~!~startup~!~Initializing X10 Interface

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
                              512 MB RAM PC2700
                              Way2Call Hi-Phone USB
                              ATTNV Crystal 16
                              Ocelot w/ 8 I/O
                              mcs Guardian Angel (Works great!)
                              Video / Captures with ConquerCam (Separate Computer)
                              NetCallerID

~Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X