Script Library reminder NEEDED...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Script Library reminder NEEDED...

It seems that new users have a problem reading and understanding the guidelines for the forum.

Is it possible to add a warning message when the user trys to post in the "library" forum a new window pops up and explains that if there post is a question that they should click "cancel" and post in the discussion forum?

this, g-d willing, will help drive the msg home!

--
    Aaron

It would also benefit from someone actually looking after it......and as for Rick posting replies (because he can)...hmmmm...not good encouragement for others.

Come on Rick, get the script library sorted out - or delegate the responsibility to Rupp

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
    Jon

Comment

Nothing is more frustrating than trying to help a new user and not be able to because they posted in the wrong forum. It wouldn't be too much trouble for the poster to answer a question like: " Are you sure your posting code an not a question" or something similar.

-Rupp

If Fedex and UPS were to merge, would they call it FedUP?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The top of the forum is structured as follows:

Official Announcements:
        ...All Announcements

HomeSeer
        ...General Discussion

And the Script Library(HS) and Script Library Discussion(HS) and Script Library Archive(HS) are right on top of each other inside the HomeSeer forum heading.

How about something like this?

Official Announcements:
        ...All Announcements

HomeSeer Script Library – Post Code ONLY – NO Replies Allowed
        ...Script Library (HS)

HomeSeer
        ...General Discussion

I don’t know if moving the Script Library under a different heading would break any existing links or if it would be too much a pain in the arse to setup.

Maybe something as simple as changing the heading from this:
        Script Library (HS)

To this:
        Script Library(HS) – Post code ONLY – NO Replies Allowed

might do the trick.

Or maybe there should be a No Replies Allowed forum heading with the All Announcements and Script Library inside. The All Announcements is listed as no reply in the directions, however, that rule has been broken for the last few months.

Think one of these ideas might help reduce Rupp having to play traffic cop?

Maybe I should have posted this in the message board forum.

Joe
        HomeSeer Rocks!

Comment

I agree... something like:

Script Library(HS) – CODE ONLY – NO Q/A Allowed

might do the trick in a simple way.

--
          Aaron

Comment

Some of the other forums I belong to issue a Welcome email on registration

Perhaps if we had this type of Welcome email then this could be reinforced there

It would also be useful if it encouraged new uses to fill in some of their profile, in particular an indication of where they are

Kevin

Comment

-Rupp

If Fedex and UPS were to merge, would they call it FedUP?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have emailed Rick about this to highlight the problem.

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
                Jon

Comment

I put in a request on the message board forum too and linked it back to here.

It seems like the posting of questions to the Script Library has been increasing, doesn't it?

Joe
                  HomeSeer Rocks!

Comment

Your always going to get post where they don't belong, regardless of the label. Remember... if you try to make it idiot proof, they'll just build a better idiot.

This forum needs a moderator (someone with authority to move and delete posts).

Regards,
                    Ultrajones
                    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

It looks like there are around 12 posts that need to be moved on the first page already.

Beach has now posted twice and Whatsnew 3 times!

I give up

Jon
                      Jon

Comment

To say nothing of deleting the threads telling them where to post after they have finally got the message.....

Kevin

We have been here before

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...705#1816072705

Comment

well I couldn't stand this anymore, so I made a post to the script library (guess I am guilty too now lol)

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...3&m=9616046365

Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

---
                          http://www.CocoonTech.com
                          HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                          (aka xplosiv)
                          Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Here's a few options...

1) Only allow posting in that forum to "authorized" members.

2) suspend posting rights for offenders for 30 days so they "figure it out"

3) take their CC info and require that they pay $2 to everyone that reads thier misplaced post.

- I vote for option 1 or 3

--
                            Aaron

Comment

The answer is to assign a few regulars as forum moderators. I was an assistant sysop on several CompuServe forums going back as far as the mid 80's. This problem is nothing new. With a message board this size you need multiple people to keep things straight. There is no way that Rich and Rick can keep up with it. I don't understand why they don't delegate this task. There are many of us capable and willing to take it on.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X