Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Ideas on how to parse this tide chart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Ideas on how to parse this tide chart?

I downloaded a tide chart from the web. This way I have the tide info in a file, and I do not have to search the web for it. Before I start fooling around with it, does anyone know what the best way to have hs speak the tide info depending on what day it is? Thanks
    Attached Files

Totally untested, but this should give you some ideas and some common scripting functions that may be of use to you.

It assumes the file is in the homeseer \HTML folder. If you do not understand parts of it, just ask. You likely can read the web page using hs.GetURL or hs.GetURLIE rather than putting it in a file then reading the file.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    Dim iRecords
    Dim dDate(100)
    Dim sTime(100, 3)
    Dim sLevel(100, 3)

sub ParseFile()

'Read the file into a string variable
    sData = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile(hs.G etAppPath & "\HTML\Tides.htm").ReadAll
    'Organize it into an array of records and remove the &nbsp HTML tag
    arrDay = split(Replace(sData,"&nbsp;",""),"&lt;br&gt;" & vbCrLf & "&lt;br&gt;")
    'iterate each of the day's records

iRecords = ubound(arrDay)

for iDay = 1 to iRecords
    'put delimiter at end of record to make parsing easier
    sRecord = arrDay(iDay) & "&lt;br&gt;"
    'index Front/End of each keyword as looking through record
    iFront = instr(sRecord, " ")
    iEnd = instr(iFront, "&lt;br&gt;")
    'maintain arrrays for each date, and 4 readings for time and level
    dDate(iDay) = cDate(mid(sRecord, iFront + 1, iEnd - iFront - 1))
    for iReading = 0 to 3
    iFront = instr(iEnd,sRecord, "Tide:")
    iEnd = instr(iFront, sRecord," E")
    sTime(iDay,iReading) = Trim(mid(sRecord,iFront + 1, iEnd - iFront - 1))
    iFront = instr(iEnd, sRecord, " ")
    iEnd = instr(iFront, sRecord, "&lt;br&gt;")
    sLevel(iDay,iReading) = Trim(mid(sRecord,iFront + 1, iEnd - iFront - 1))
    Next
    Next

end sub

Sub SpeakTides(theDate)
    dToday = DateSerial(Year(theDate),Month(theDate),day(theDate)
    arrHiLo = Array("high","low")
    for iDay = 1 to iRecords
    if dToday = dDate(iDay) Then
    sText = ""
    for iReading = 0 to 3
    sHiLo = arrHiLo(iReading mod 2)
    sText = sText & sLevel(iDay,iReading) & "inch " & sHiLo & " at " & sTime
    if iReading &lt; 3 Then
    sText = sText & ", "
    end if
    next
    hs.Speak "Tides for " & Format(theDate,"dddd") & ", " & sText
    exit for
    end if
    Next
    End sub

Sub SpeakTodayandTomorrow()
    SpeakTides now
    SpeakTides DateAdd("d",1,now)
    end sub

</pre>

Comment

Michael,

I tried this one, and it did not work. I don't know if it is supposed to be broken down into several scripts. I ran it and got an error. There was a ")" missing on a line, and when I added it, the error then became "script error in line 0". There is no line zero. I tried to parse the page like I would a regular web page with a simple script but that would not work also.

Comment

This is provided to get you started with some ideas of structure and scripting techniques. It was never run and is not expected to work first-time.

If you want to go down this path then make liberal use of the hs.writelog command to look at intermediate results. Just standard debugging and learning as you go.

While I'm happy to provide guidance, the actual making it work is up to you.

I usually find it easier to debug the scripts as vbs file (or event better as VB files if VB compiler is available)

To do this add the following at the top or bottom of the file and rename the file to have a .vbs rather than .txt type.

set hs = CreateObject("Homeseer.Application")
        SpeakTidesNow

Then double-click on the filename from Windows Explorer. You will see hs.writelog results in the homeseer log. You can also use Msgbox for more immediate response.

e.g. Msgbox "The data is " & sData

You could also setup an event in HS to run either the vbs as an application or the .txt as a script and use something like a palmpad (or VR phrase) to invoke the event. This will further reduce the number of mouse actions needed to run the script trying to get it to work.

[This message was edited by Michael McSharry on Mon, 16 February 2004 at 10:32 PM.]

Comment

Working...
        X