Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beach and Boat Forecast: Can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beach and Boat Forecast: Can it be done?

I posted a similar question in another post, but the topic was confusing, so I am reposting it here. I live near the beach. I would love to have HS speak every morning things like:
    wind speed
    wind direction
    surf
    sea state
    sea temp
    wave height
    wave direction
    wave period
    tide info (low and high)
    sunrise/sunset

I am now using weatherman, and tonight I just set up weatherxml to give it a try. Can either of these scripts speak this information, or does an entirely different script have to be created? If a new script must be created, can someone point me in the right direction on how to create scripts that take data from websites and speak them? I am a fast learner. I don't know if there is a tutorial anywhere.

I know that weather xml uses an xml file from weather.com, but I'm not sure what info is included in the xml. Thanks.

ps. the page I am talking about in weather.com that has the data I described above is:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...from=LAPoutlet

A quick email to Jeff at jeff@c-website.com will get you the most direct answer since he wrote weatherXML.

-Rupp

If Fedex and UPS were to merge, would they call it FedUP?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

If you run weathercom_xmlsetup.asp you will see the choices for speaking like wind speed and direction. However, I see nothing in the XML for the other sea related pieces of data you are looking for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Beach writes:
      I know that weather xml uses an xml file from weather.com, but I'm not sure what info is included in the xml. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’ve attached the XML for my city so you can take a look at what’s included. If you drop it into a browser it will be much easier to read.

If you can find where to retrieve the data you are looking for in XML format, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone here would be willing to whip up a script.

Rupp is right - Jeff is your best resource since he wrote it.

***Update***
      Beach - You can get HS to speak sunrise and sunset with:

hs.speak hs.sunrise
      hs.speak hs.sunset

Joe
      HomeSeer Rocks!

[This message was edited by Joe's Place on Sun, 08 February 2004 at 11:07 PM.]
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, guys, I'll email Jeff. I don't see most of the info I am looking for in the xml file. Maybe I might have to somehow parse it out of the beach and boat forecast from weather.com the old fashioned way. I know it is not the best choice, but I would really like to do it somehow. If you click on the link I posted in the topic starter above, that is the exact info I am looking for.

Comment

see my posts in script library discussions. I have been trying to do this for awhile. I modified one of the scripts that I found to get this data from wunderground. It does work, but the interface is messy, and theres too much text homeseer is unintelligable reading the whole report.

Comment

Working...
          X