Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I configure router for Netmeeting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan,

It took about 10 seconds.

Gordon,

We have an outsourced it dept. I think they are just blocking the ports necessary to connect to VNC and netmeeting. I just can't understand why I can connect to homseer, and I can't connect to the others?

Also,

Could my disconnect problem at home on my network be because I was using the no-ip address instead of the local address? Would this cause netmeeting and vnc to disconnect?

[This message was edited by Beach on Wed, 10 March 2004 at 03:01 PM.]

Comment

if it's 10 seconds, from a remote location, then it's probably a firewall dropping (instead of rejecting, which causes an instant disconnect) the packets, question is, is it your work place, or is your router not configured correctly? If ip447.no-ip.com is your real host name you are using, then the problem is with your system (unless you locked it down to just allow your corporate machine to access VNC), because I was not even able to establish a connection.

You definitely have to use the local LAN address if you are connecting from a machine on the same network, but you shouldn't have been able to connect to your netmeeting machine (from your other LAN machine that is) to being with if you really used the no-ip address.
      ---
      Do you cocoon?
      http://www.CocoonTech.com
      HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
      (aka xplosiv)
      Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Dan,

That's not my real ip. I just didn't want to give it out. I do use no-ip though.

I also timed it out more carefully. It is more like 20 seconds, not 10.

Comment

You are dealing with several things here - you need to simplify your testing so that you can eliminate multiple factors. You have Zone Alarm, your router/firewall, and work's firewall. I'm leaving out the ISP becuase I doubt they are filtering anything.

Remove Zone Alarm. Don't just shut it off - uninstall it and reboot to be sure you are clean. If running XP, check to make sure the internal firewall in XP is not enabled. One of the latest service packs re-enables it even if it was shut off, and backing out the service pack does not disable it.

Test all connectivity from another machine on your local network to/from the HS machine using the local IP addresses. Insure everything works - that way you can eliminate possible config problems with the software and the machines. If you still have the dropped connection issue, then you need to look at your local configs.

Next, have a friend or one of us here on the board try to access from our remote Internet connection. You can join Dan's chat system and get real-time interaction there with some of us network guys, who can scan your systems from the Inet and help figure out the problem.

UPnP is Universal Plug and Play. You should NEVER turn that on through your router/firewall as it allows people to access your printers, etc. In fact, if you don't need it (and I'll bet you don't) you should shut it off on all your machines and your router and set it to disabled in the Services so that it will not run. It is another MS service with security issues because it allows network discovery and enumeration of services running on remote systems.

The section of your router to configure for ports should be labeled something like Port Forwarding or Port Translation. In order to allow Inet machines to access your VNC on the HS machine, you would open port 5900 from the Inet and allow it to access your HS machine (by IP) through your router. In a port forwarding setup, you usually define a name for the service, a port, and a destination IP.

I can't open your posted docs - what was the progeam you used to save it?

Yes, obviously work is blocking ports - that's what firewalls do. They may allow the port that your HS web server is using (typically port 80), which is why you can get to your HS web server. They could also be using routers and blocking ports on those, as well. Rupp, a real firewall will not allow the connection to be established in the first place if the port is blocked, but it might be something like ZA shutting down the program after the fact. I don't know how ZA works these days.

And yes, if you use the outside address for an inside connection, the software may not work properly as the IP address returned from the remote PC will not match the IP you are using to connect to it. Most firewalls do not allow looping out and back in again as this is a securty risk. If it does allow this, you have a loopback configured and it is a security risk.

It may also be related to a reverse DNS lookup - do you have DNS or "hosts" files properly set up on all your machines at home?

And finally, your network could be misconfigured causing all kinds of problems.

- Gordon

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, easy, and cheap!
          |
          | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
          HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Gordon,

Thank you for that response. And thank you Rupp and Dan as well. I got home tonight, and tried using my 191.168.1.x address to access VNC and Netmeeting, and it worked!!! Even with Zone Alarm on. Then, I disconnected one of my pc's from the network, and logged on with dial up. I was able to connect to this pc from the networked pc, but I could not connect from this pc to the networked pc. That told me it was the router config, because zone alarm was not on, and the router was the only difference. So, I placed my networked pc in the DMZ zone, and it worked, even with zone alarm enabled. Now, my question is, if I leave the pc in the DMZ zone at all times, and I run zone alarm at all times, am I open to any attacks? I shouldn't be, because zone alarm should protect me, but I just want to be sure. Thanks again guys.

ps. Gordon, I used Word on those posted docs.

Comment

Ok, great, you've narrowed it down considerably. I would not keep a machine int he DMZ because on most routers, and I think it works this way on the Linksys, that area is not fully protected from the Internet.

Instead, you need to open certain ports on your router and direct them to the machine that will use the services on those ports - 5900 for VNC, 1503 and possibly others for different parts of Netmeeting, etc. Now maybe someone with the same router can help you there as I cannot open your files and I don't use the Linksys. But many here do...

Again, you're looking for port forwarding, services, or something that allows you to assign a port to be forwared to a machine inside your network.

Oh, got it this time. Use the Port Range Forwarding screen. For VNC, put in 5900, 5900, TCP, the IP of your machine running VNC server, and Enable it.

Also, I don't think you need no-ip in there, but I'm not sure what service you are using. Remember, this screen allows you to map the incoming port from the Inet using the external router IP address to a specific machine on your network using that same port or range of ports.

I'd have to check Netmeeting to see what you need open - it can run in different modes and some of it uses different ports.

- Gordon

|
              | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show

Comment

PS> Here's info on allowing Netmeeting through a firewall - note it's not trivial!

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

- Gordon

|
                | - Gordon

Comment

Thanks, Gordon. I saw that article. It's pretty complex. If I leave the pc in the DMZ mode for now, and keep Zone Alarm runnng, is there any risk to my network? I always thought zone alarm would protect me. Maybe not. I just want to keep it in the DMZ for a few days to check it at work and see if it works before I fool around with ports again.

Comment

I only have the one port 1503 forwarded to one of my PCs and netmeeting works. Did you move the information from the top screen shot to the bottom one that you originally posted? It doesn't need to be a range by one signal port directed.

-Rupp
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

I will try to use just one port tonight. I am at work now, and I cannot access my home pc. What ports do netmeeting and VNC use to call out? Wouldn't they also use port 80? If that is the case, I can't understand why I can't call out?

Comment

FYI VNC uses tcp/5800 for the webserver, tcp/5900 for the client.

---
                        Do you cocoon?
                        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                        (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Dan,

In simple terms, if work is blocking port 5900, is there a way to use VNC?

Comment

I use netmeeting to work from home and from work to home, and on my lan pc to pc and the oldy port I am forwarding is 1503

-Rupp
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

My question to you is:

If work blocks port 1503, is there a way I can access my home pc from work?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beach:
                                Dan,

In simple terms, if work is blocking port 5900, is there a way to use VNC?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                                Sure,

Just run it on a different port that would be allowed through.

---
                                Do you cocoon?
                                (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Working...
                                X