Marine coastal and offshore info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine coastal and offshore info

Has a script been written to retrieve NOAA marine prediction info, such as that found at http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/651.html ?

I am new to this, it seems like it would be relatively easy, but then again maybe not. I tried modifying a weather script that has a hs.GetUTL but with my limited brain power I was not able to get it to successfully run. Any help in doing this would be greatly appreciated!

Bob

What in particular are you looking to pull out of the page. One problem with all the "html extraction" is that when an html page changes in the least it breaks the extraction process. I have all but stopped using parsing scripts and started to simply put a link to the desired page in an iFrame on my main page. This way all I have to worry about changing is the URL.

-Rupp

💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

which exact data on that page are you talking about? The Synopsis? Today's/Tonight's? All weekdays?

HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
      (aka xplosiv)
      Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

I am an offshore boater, and I need to be able to know for the next few days ahead what the seas are going to be like. I would like the synopsis (see below) and I would also like to get data like this afternoon. seas 2-4 except 8-10 in the gulf stream. tomorrow seas 4-8 except 20-24 in the gulf stream.. etc.. This is invaluable data to automate for someone like me. also, heres another link to this sort of data

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/raw...hc.off.n04.txt

SYNOPSIS FOR SW N ATLC INCLUDING THE BAHAMAS
        .SYNOPSIS...HIGH PRES ALONG THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC COAST WILL
        DRIFT SLOWLY E WITH RIDGE AXIS EXTENDING S INTO THE OFFSHORE
        WATERS THROUGH TONIGHT. RIDGE WILL THEN SHIFT E OF AREA WED
        WITH NEXT COLD FRONT MOVING OFF THE U.S. COAST WED NIGHT. THE
        COLD FRONT WILL EXTEND FROM 31N74W TO CENTRAL CUBA THU...AND
        FROM 31N65W TO WINDWARD PASSAGE FRI. FRONT WILL WEAKEN OVER SE
        WATERS SAT AS HIGH PRES BEGINS TO RIDGE SE INTO THE OFFSHORE
        WATERS.

Comment

Somehow I managed to modify the weather.txt script to retrieve the page info, and its being displayed on my homeseer website. However its difficult to read. I really love homeseer. I had no idea that this would even work, but it did. I have to beleive however that theres a better way to do this and make it much cleaner. If anyone wants the modded script I will be happy to post it.

Comment

so you want just the synopsis, right?

HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
            (aka xplosiv)

Comment

tell me
              what the seas are now ("seas are currently 2-4, will rise to 6-8 by afternoon")
              what the seas will be like tomorrow same idea
              what the seas will be like the next day

If we want to get crazy it would be cool to take weather info, and seas info and be able to say seas will be 1-2 ft, but it will be raining

The whole point here is that people that live on the water and own boats NEED this info. You cannot imagine how much homeseer can help a boater plan the best time to be out. I was even thinking about having it check the next 5 days, and tell me which days would have the lowest seas. I would also love it if their was a small craft advisory (which would appear in the data in question) to email or page or call me.. Im very new to homeseer so unfortunately I mostly have ideas right now, but I have managed to write my first script just by reading others for a few minutes! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. There has to be other boaters out there that could benefit from this.

Comment

I can write it for you when I have some time (maybe this weekend or sooner), just need to make sure I am looking for the right info.

(aka xplosiv)

Comment

1. speak the synopsis, post it formatted readable to the homeseer web

2. speak todays seas prediction (today 2-4, tonight 4-6)

3. speak (tomorrow 4-6, receding to 1-2)

4. speak (nextday 1-2, seas calm all day, go fishin!)

and so on.. this is the most relevant for now.. and bear in mind this could be useful for surfers and beachgoers as well.

Comment

I cant seem to get more than the raw text of this.. when homeseer reads it aloud its worthless. Too many numbers an unpronounceable (sp?) words!

Comment

My script is slowly crippling homeseers reponse times.. argh! I thought I sorta had it ahcked out. I am not good at writing scripts at all. Anyone care to give me a boost on this?

Comment

I went to and took a screenshot, so I can figure out which data you want before I write something (http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/651.html)

I assume you want the data that is in the red square:

Is this what you are looking for?

(aka xplosiv)

Comment

Yes thats exactly what I need!

Comment

If anyone can spare the time I still havent been able to get this working right!

Comment

Did you ever get a script working for this?

Comment

Working...
                              X