No announcement yet.

[plugin] Network Monitor Plugin Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the extra tab. Looked right at it twice.
    Sorry about the confusion.

Will the plug-in ping web-sights as well? I could keep an eye on my internet connection by pinging an external sight and alert the house if the connection was down.

Thanks for the help guys.

Dan-O

[This message was edited by Dan-O on Sun, 22 June 2003 at 04:28 PM.]
    Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

I hope to add port-based monitoring (and database connection monitoring as well) in the future...

Comment

Steve,

I can't quite figure out how to set this up. I've got devices set up for the various computers on my network, and have set up additional devices to reflect the space of various drives setup in the configuration window (where you specify each computers IP address). But nothing shows up in the HS device status, even after stopping and starting HS. I'm obviously missing something very basic. Any help such as a step-by-step setup instruction would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Did you create a recurring event with an action of "ping" or "check disk space"? There's a new tab on the event properties page so that you can setup a schedule and have the plugin perform one of those two actions..

Comment

I am having trouble following the plan...

a
            set up virtual devices for a\each PC on network
            as devices

b
            want to ping each

c
            created a ping event for 2ndPC (where does IP or assignment to the "2ndPC actually occur?)

not following the steps ... sorry
            HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

Comment

1. create virtual device
              2. select Network Monitor Options
              3. select the devices tab
              4. select virtual device from list on left, move to list on right with > button
              5. double click on the device in the right hand list to update its info

Bill

Comment

Steve,

Several problems.

The Options window does not show up in the windows task bar when its open, if I switch to another window, I can't get back to it. Also sometimes when it opens, it isn't the top window, same issue, can't get to it.

I added a device with just a name, that didn't resolve, so I went back in and added the IP address. It still does not see it, says its offline, but its not.

I have the ping event running every 5 minutes and it sees other machines.

I tried removing a device from the list that is being montiored. Selecting the < button does nothing.

Bill

Comment

Duuhh... OK, I've setup recurring events and some things are starting to work. I can get the computers to report their on/off-line status but instead of showing the computer name in the HS Devices "Name" field, it shows the device code (yes, the plug-in name has the computer name, not the device code).

As for the drive space recurring event, that reports on/off-line status. Shouldn't it report remaining disk space?

I've obviously messed up the set-up. But as Bill D reports, the "<" does not remove the monitored device from the set-up. I'll next try to delete the config file and start over, but I suspect I'll make the same mistakes again (whatever they were).

Speaking of set-up, I originally created my own virtual devices. Is this necessary? Don't plug-ins create their own virtual devices with special characters like _ ] ' and # so you don't burn up the A-to-Z virtual devices?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The Options window does not show up in the windows task bar when its open, if I switch to another window, I can't get back to it. Also sometimes when it opens, it isn't the top window, same issue, can't get to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an issue between HomeSeer and ActiveX EXE plugins. The fact that it is an ActiveX EXE plugin, however, is what helps offload the ping/check disk space process from HomeSeer's thread... there are a couple of things I can try to improve this, but no promises.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I added a device with just a name, that didn't resolve, so I went back in and added the IP address. It still does not see it, says its offline, but its not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll test this scenario next time I get in the code.. if you go to a command prompt and manually ping the computer name, does everything resolve correctly? Do you have any strange Active Directory or DNS configuration settings?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I tried removing a device from the list that is being montiored. Selecting the &lt; button does nothing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops. Maybe that button didn't get finished...

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Duuhh... OK, I've setup recurring events and some things are starting to work. I can get the computers to report their on/off-line status but instead of showing the computer name in the HS Devices "Name" field, it shows the device code (yes, the plug-in name has the computer name, not the device code).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange.. I'll look at the code around this section. Also, if you could post (or email me) your xml config file that would help as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As for the drive space recurring event, that reports on/off-line status. Shouldn't it report remaining disk space?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The event doesn't "report" anything. It simply executes the action you have selected. Perhaps you could recheck the action you selected for that event? It also only changes a device status if it really changes; i.e., if the disk was ok last time and is ok this time, you won't see the device change. I debugged the changing of status codes by raising and lowering my threshhold for the disk device to dramatic levels, so you could try that if you want to test an event that triggers off of low disk space...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've obviously messed up the set-up. But as Bill D reports, the "&lt;" does not remove the monitored device from the set-up. I'll next try to delete the config file and start over, but I suspect I'll make the same mistakes again (whatever they were).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deleting the XML file from the config directory will suffice (or you can edit it manually if you've got some data in there and are familiar with the basics of XML docs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Speaking of set-up, I originally created my own virtual devices. Is this necessary? Don't plug-ins create their own virtual devices with special characters like _ ] ' and # so you don't burn up the A-to-Z virtual devices?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plugins can do that, and as I stated in the readme, it's on the list of future enhancements that I (or anyone else interested...) would like to get into the plugin.

Comment

Steve--

Thanks for the free plug-in!!

I have a couple of comments or ideas.

1) Can it be set to have different icons for devices instead of the online/offline default?

2) Is there any variables that can be put into an email when an event is setup to send an email for a low drive space or offline condition?

3) I would like to setup a tickler email when something happens, like when any device goes offline send an email every 15 mins. Currently I can setup an event to run every 15 mins but I need to add each device i. Could there be a way to do all devices?

tyke

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1) Can it be set to have different icons for devices instead of the online/offline default?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of these days I'm going to finish and release my status manager plugin that would handle that for you.. until then, you can replace the icons with your own, but it's all or nothing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2) Is there any variables that can be put into an email when an event is setup to send an email for a low drive space or offline condition?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need to make sure the devices collection is exposed. If/when it is, you'd have access to hs.plugins("Network Monitor").Devices().Drives() objects. I'll check it out and post an update if I need to. If you have VB6 or .NET, you can start a blank project and add a reference to the exe; then object browser will help you view the methods and properties exposed by the plugin for scripting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>3) I would like to setup a tickler email when something happens, like when any device goes offline send an email every 15 mins. Currently I can setup an event to run every 15 mins but I need to add each device i. Could there be a way to do all devices?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could setup one event that occurs every 15 minutes with a list of "OR" conditions based on each device... or I could add a condition that allowed "Any Device" or "Any Drive". I'll look into it.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I tried removing a device from the list that is being montiored. Selecting the &lt; button does nothing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops. Maybe that button didn't get finished... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. I've got some "pahnot" network devices I can't delete. The remove button does not work. If I delete the actual devices, they keep coming back!! Removing and reinstalling the plugin does not fix it either.

Help!!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tards:
                              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I tried removing a device from the list that is being montiored. Selecting the &lt; button does nothing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops. Maybe that button didn't get finished... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. I've got some "phantom" network devices that I can't delete. The remove button does not work. If I delete the actual devices, they keep coming back!! Removing and reinstalling the plugin does not fix it either.

Help!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

The devices can be removed by editing the hspi_network_monitor.ini file in the config directory and taking them out. One of these days life will slow down enough (ha ha) for me to fix that remove button!

Comment

Working...
                                X