Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[asp] Rover (free web interface for handhelds, slow links, old browsers, etc.) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rover v2

I am gearing up to make the move to HS2 and once I do I will be getting my old stuff up and running again, bit by bit.

Once my system works well enough for me to control my lights in HomeSeer, I will get Rover up and running in HS2 and flesh out the few things that never got quite finished. I'll also be looking to improve it by taking advantage of whatever new capabilities HS2 offers that would suit its mission.

Rover will not become bloatware. Its entire purpose is to be so small, so simple, and so lean that it runs on anything. But I would like to make it able to handle more kinds of devices better.

I also intend to get its place in the Updater more current so you can install it and have a usable Rover without needing to do anything more. (Though of course you'll still be able to play with snippets and customize icons and such, but there won't be any need to.)

Expect this to take a few months, as it's not my only project, and I have a lot of lost time to make up and things to learn.
    News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Green
      ... I will get Rover up and running in HS2 and flesh out the few things that never got quite finished...
      This is fantastic news!!!

I have Rover on my 1.7 system and absolutly love it... I have on my list of things to do for my 2.0 system (Check to see if Rover works with HS2)

Thanks for the great news, I can't wait...
      Jay

Comment

Hi Frank

I just tried the new version. Here is the message that I get:

Code:

Script error: Subscript out of range: 'numeventnames'

eventnames(numeventnames) = CStr(evt.name)
                  End If</PRE>

Comment

Oops, simple oversight. Fixed in the above download, try it again. (This doesn't seem worth incrementing a release number for!)

So you've got more than 64 events. Is that likely to come up a lot? I could make the limit 128, I suppose.

Comment

LOL... I currently have 180 events...

Comment

The fix you made now allows Rover to load properly.
              Now I just wish that you had chosen HAI RC-80 thermostats!

If there is anything specific that you need tested, just ask.

Comment

I can't imagine a list of events is much use to someone with 180. Perhaps I can develop a categorized list of some sort, but it seems like overkill. You'd probably just want to use Snippets for your events if needed. Are you seeing a big slowdown in the page loading, though, while it builds the list of the first 64 events whether you need it or not? I've again updated the zip file with a version that'll eliminate that delay by simply refusing to load events for someone with more than 64, until I figure out how I want to handle this.

As for thermostats, Rover should in theory work with any thermostat that follows the HomeSeer thermostat plugin model, since it just uses the hs.ControlThermostat command. The HS2 documentation does not give me any reason to think that's not still the appropriate method to control thermostats. So maybe it will work, have you tried it? If those thermostats don't work within HomeSeer's thermostat model for some reason (I have to wonder what that reason could be!) then maybe I could add separate functionality for them somehow.
                Last edited by Hunter Green; February 18th, 2006, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Frank, Thanks for your quick work on the new version.

I've seem to have lost my original Rover v1 . Can you please mail it to me so that I can upgrade to rover2b1?

regards,

Dag-Inge

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'll be starting testing as soon as I've hit the post-quick-reply-button.

Dag-Inge

Comment

Troubleshooting, I find:

It seems when I test from my desktop, using a guest login that I can still fully control devices when using Rover. I load the main HS page to confirm that I am indeed in guest mode, then return to Rover, and can still operate devices.
                      When I try to access the log, it does tell me that I am in guest mode.

Comment

Beta 4 fixes a flaw in how I handled authorizations.

Edit: That's funny, I was fixing the bug while you were reporting it!

Comment

So, how is it going? I'm not running into any more problems here, so if you guys are having it working too, I'll put it into the Updater. Anyone?

Comment

Looks good to me.
                            I still don't see any way to access my thermostat unless I setup a bunch of events. (Minor issue)

Comment

What's wrong with the thermostat?

You never answered my questions about that upthread. Does your thermostat not follow the HomeSeer thermostat standard, so you can't control it with hs.ControlThermostat? Does it not appear in your device list normally? Is Rover failing to show it, or does it show it wrong, or do its controls not work?

Comment

The HAI thermostat has a separate page that allows you to set temps, etc.
                                There is also control from the device page on the desktop.
                                I can see the thermostat in the device list, but there is no control.

Comment

Working...
                                X