Revised XML Based Weather Script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revised XML Based Weather Script

Discuss the XML Based Weather Script here.

Let me know what you think.

I made a small change in the FormatForecastStringHTML function to make the date formatting in the forecast more consistent. I was getting stray chars at the end of the day.

tempdate = Right(tempdate, (len(tempdate) - (len(day)+2)))

I don't use the speech portion but it would probably work there as well.

Comment

Thanks Rob - I was just going to put a post up about the date problem, and you already had the solution!

Comment

When I made the same change to the script, I lost the month. So I took a look at my regional settings and changed to match dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy and it worked. My origianl setting was, ddd, mmm dd, yyyy, which does not appear to be a standard setting. I must have changed it for a reason, oh well not sure why now.

I have also noticed some problems with the current condition icon. In the XML file it refers to the MSNBC site, and I assummed that the data was coming from MSNBC. Earlier this moring the condition icon was a Sun from the XML and Moon on the MSNBC site. Have you seen this as well?

I may send them an email and see if I can get clarification.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rick

Comment

Rick - After fixing the date, I thought I'd go to the site itself to see what data was being parsed. I entered the info for Cherry Hill NJ, and got a different set of data than what is being displayed. For example:

Conditions: Script says "Mostly Sunny", site say "Mostly Cloudy".

Wind: Script says "13 MPH", site says "18 MPH"

Same with the other values. My settings.ini [location] shows Cherry Hill as the city, NJ as the state, and 08003 as the zip. All correct.

(I'd also like to change the Texas flag to NJ - what site did you get the icon from?)

Thanks

Comment

I have noticed these irregularities as well. I am going to send an email to confirm a few things. In the XML it indicates when the update occurred, I seen update time earlier than the current time. Hopefully I can get some info from them.

The Texas flag is home made.

Did find this web site, but they are a litle on the large side. http://www.iconbazaar.com/flags/usa/index.html

Comment

Is there anyway you could make a separate ini file for this script. This way if I decide not to keep using this or any other script it doesn't leave information behind in my HS ini file.

-Rupp
              ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I noticed on the forecast (Westport, CT) that each day had some porton of the end of the day repeated. I copied it for you to see below but first noticed it when Agent was speaking the forecast:

Sunday
                y, December 01, 2002
                High: 36°
                Low: 22°
                Condition: Windy
                Precipitation: 0%
                Monday
                y, December 02, 2002
                High: 38°
                Low: 20°
                Condition: Flurries
                Precipitation: 30%
                Tuesday
                ay, December 03, 2002
                High: 36°
                Low: 20°
                Condition: Partly Cloudy
                Precipitation: 0%
                Wednesday
                sday, December 04, 2002
                High: 34°
                Low: 23°
                Condition: Cloudy
                Precipitation: 20%
                Thursday
                day, December 05, 2002
                High: 38°
                Low: 19°
                Condition: Flurries
                Precipitation: 30%

Comment

Did you fix the script by changing the line that Rob posted?
                  I had the same extra letters and the problem was fixed by changing the line posted above.

Dan-O
                  My system specs are in my profile
                  (Current beta as always)

Dan-O
                  HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Hi all,

Just installed this script, worked fine out of the box, apart from:

1) Here in the UK, we use dd/mm/yy as our date format. How do I change this in the script?

2) 'Updated' times are given in EST. Again, GMT is our flavo(u)r - can I change this too?

Otherwise, great job! I got totally peed off with weather.com changing their html every few days and messing up my settings. Hopefully this should sort things...

Any help appreciated!

~David (XML? Not a clue, mate!)

Comment

In the functions FormatForecastStringHTML and FormatForecastStringSpeech modify the following 2 lines to meet your needs.

tempdate = formatdatetime(date, vbLongDate)
                      tempdate = Right(tempdate, (len(tempdate) - (len(day) + 2)))

Be sure to keep the variable tempdate, it is used in the next line. Also let me know what you did and I will include it in the script.

Rupp:
                      I will include that in the next release.

Comment

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-Rupp

Comment

I fixed the date problem and created a seperate .ini file for the settings. To install over an existing system:

1. Remove the location section from HS settings.ini
                          2. Run the new script and answer the questions.

That's all.

Rick

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for the reply - it's not quite sorted it. I've ended up making the following amendments to the sections you recommended like this :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>function FormatForecastStringHTML(day, date, high, low, condition, rain)
                            dim forecast
                            dim tempdate

tempdate = formatdatetime(date, vbLongDate)
                            ' tempdate = Right(tempdate, (len(tempdate) - (len(day) + 5)))
                            forecast = "&lt;B&gt;&lt;U&gt;&lt;br&gt;" & day & " " & tempdate & "&lt;/B&gt;&lt;/U&gt;"
                            forecast = forecast & "&lt;BR&gt;High:&nbsp;" & high & "&deg"
                            forecast = forecast & "&lt;BR&gt;Low:&nbsp;" & low & "&deg"
                            forecast = forecast & "&lt;BR&gt;Condition:&nbsp;" & condition
                            forecast = forecast & "&lt;BR&gt;Precipitation:&nbsp;" & rain & "%"

FormatForecastStringHTML = forecast

end function <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So simply remarked out the second 'tempdate=' line and I get the full date as required. The only problem is it's still reading days as months, as you can see from this screengrab...

Help!

Comment

How often is this XML data being updated?

-Rupp

Comment

Working...
                              X