Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[script] RSS XML News Feed Script (dasRSS.txt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is RSS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is an XML-based format for distributing and aggregating Web content (such as news headlines).
    Using RSS, Web content providers can easily create and disseminate feeds of data that include, for example, news links, headlines, and summaries. Other sites using RSS to deliver content to a wider audience include Christian Science Monitor and CNET News.com.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss

I thought that the RSS XML news feed script could use the Yahoo RSS XML feeds.

It would be really nice to have a plugin like Weather XML which is awesome!
    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

RSS = Really Simple Syndication (at least that’s one derivation)

RSS is a well formed XML document which makes it a breeze to parse with XML DOM.

If you click on any of the yahoo links that DSteiNeuro posted you will see that each "item" node contains a title (or headline if you will), a short description, and a link for the full details. It doesn’t matter where the RSS feed comes from, it’s supposed to follow the specification. So whether you are getting an RSS feed for the sports scores and stories from your favorite college or getting an RSS feed from CNN, the format is the same.

Here is link to a free RSS reader that I use:

FeedReader

Jeff – Thanks for the DVD Collection plug

Joe
      HomeSeer Rocks!

Comment

You should just be able to insert the URL's for the Yahoo feeds above into the ini file for dasRSS which is what this thread is all about
        See the top of the thread

Kevin

Comment

can't wait to give this script a try.

Up next latest homeseer news. how about a way we can send our own feeds to the hs community. Latest devices, events and updates.

Jim
          R

Comment

Is there a way to have hs speak the news contained in the devices?

Comment

You could try hs.speak, its in the online help

you would probably want to create a separate script and then run it from an event button on a page

Kevin

Comment

Seems that the RSS script makes HS eat CPU (chicken or the egg ?)

Disabled the RSS script and HS is not using 95 ++
                CPU for 8 hours so far.

On W2k. Seemed from the ah.log that last events were reoccurring RSS script somehow in a power draw of CPU.

Stay tuned for 24 update

PS the RSS news feed are great but I might have asked HS to do too much ??

Used many of the DSN links in the script.

Is there a best way to "time out" this script with script syntax, if it can not complete the read process?

I do limit scripts via the GUI check box. It is not checked.
                HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

Comment

Rather than display the news in the normal status page i decided to put the display into my home page with a response.write hs.devicestring(devcode)

Because the original (excellent) script manually colours the title lines with FFFFFF (white) it loses the title line for each item though it has a hyperlink active for the space where the line would be.

is there any reason why the original script can't just rely on the style file to get the colours right if the user wants to get his newsfeeds displayed in the standard status page? then the display would work in other places too (i would prefer not to have to run a bespoke version of dasrss.txt)

Comment

Due to Rich's warning not to use this script (see the top of this thread and in the actual scripts library), I have a version which uses hs.GetURL.

It does have a few enhancements including site icon, posting date, colours etc.

Deano is aware of the problem with his script. As he 'may' update his original script, I will not be posting mine on this board. However you are free to download it from my HS site.
                    Jon

Comment

Jon00,

Grabbed your RSS grabber from your site and got it working in about 2 minutes (things never go this easy!) and got it to populate a scrollable MainLobby text box. Very cool.
                      Thanx for sharing.
                      David

Comment

2 minutes..that's far too long..I must try harder :-)
                        Jon

Comment

Working...
                        X