Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping List feature Requests

Tom,

Now that wife has been using scanner for a week or so she and I have a few wish items if you are so inclined..

1. Ability to create and store several shopping lists. We do a lot of shopping at BJs and the regular store. It would be nice to have seperate lists since we don't generally go to both places in the same day.

2. "Batch" update capability for items we used and need to put on shopping list. With batch scanner it not be necessary to return to the PC each time we used something. If there was a batch processing capability several items items could be stored in scanner memory before up loading to DB.

3. Steup a minimum stock level in the DB that needs to be equal or less than before an item is added to the shopping list. We often buy in quantity at BJs and don't need to buy again until the stock level drops below a preset point.

Thanks.

PS. I was busy this week and have not had a chance to do your scanner instructions. Hopefully this weekend

Dennis
    Not too old to learn

Hey Dennis, I can see these ideas may be usefull. I'll take a look at them as soon as I finish some other things I'm working on.

Tom
    Digi-house

Comment

I'm working on the shop list now. Sorry it took so long to get back to it. Probably the easiest way to add support for batch updateing a shop list itself would be to change the asp page that uses the single upc text box for updateing the shop list to a textfield. Just like the upc batch add page for adding new items to the database. It should still work for single upc codes also. I all ready have a field for desired stock level. I just need to make use of it. For me to add support for multiple lists is a bit harder. I was thinking about a new field for store names with drop downs on the asp pages with the names. It would probably work pretty well for users who don't use the upc codes. Not to sure about scanner users. They would have to batch scan for the items for each store in mind. If anyone has any thoughts I'm open to suggestions.

Tom
      Digi-house

Comment

For batch mode for scanner:
        User launches batch scan mode.

A UI Table pops up.

Focus is on first entry.

Scanner sends first data element and then a carriage return (almost positive most scanners are programmed to do this - if not, the user hits the Enter key between scans.)

With each Enter, the app advances to the next data row.

Next to each data field (one UPC per row), there is several check box fields, which reflect different sources (stores). Top of each source column has the name of the source (defined by the user). Last column is called Other.

So, once all scans are in, the user clicks the Lookup button which then sends the UPC codes to the internet lookup. In the second column is the product name which gets populated with the returned info.

The user can overwrite the Internet name.

If the product was found in the local database, then prepopulate the appropriate source by checking the check box for that source. The user can always overwrite the legacy choice and change the local database with a different source selection.

Each time a user scans a particular product, increment the Qty column by one.

The final row is a "Print List" row. When the user clicks in the column for Source A, and clicks the "Print List" button, all products identified for Source A print. Multiple Sources can be selected. Each source should print on a new page.

Column Headings:
        UPC | Product Name | Qty | Source A "Costco" | Source B "Acme Market" | Source C "Home Depot" | etc.| Other |

Same UI could be used for prepopulating database for initial inventory. The only difference would be the final row would be "Add to Inventory" and the button would be named "Add 2 Inventory".

Hope this helps.
        Thanx again for your efforts!

Comment

Hi Tom,

Glad to hear you're able to get back to Shopping List.

Definately still interested in the ability to do "batch" transaction and "on-hand". Regards the List creation by store....To keep it simple for you and not get involved in restructuring your database or impacting your receipe script, I personnaly would not find it objectionable to make the "store" entries manually through the "edit" page. If you could then give us the ability to sort the "shopping List" by store and maybe location-in-store and have a page break between stores when printing I think things would work reasonably well.

Dennis

Comment

CueCat problems.

I recently purchased a couple CueCats on eBay to use with DVD profiler and the Shopping List Script. The CueCats "have been modified to output barcode data as typed text and requires no software whatsoever. It will read barcodes and output the text onto your computer wherever the cursor is positioned" - or at least it's supposed to.

I am able to scan directly into MS Notebook and the DVD Profiler program as advertised. No problem. However, when I attempt to scan into the Shopping List asp page or directly into www.upcdatabase.com it doesn't work. I get a couple of beeps, maybe 4 numbers and then my web browser goes to my home page. I am not able to scan to a web page.

Even though it's supposed to work with no software, I've tried running the CueCats with the "catnip" program but I have the same results; works with DVD Profiler and Notepad, but not with a web page.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Could it be my browser settings? I'm totally confused as to why it doesn't work and could sure use some help.

I am hoping to raise the WAF with the shopping list thing. Thanks.

Comment

There's a new update to the shopping list scripts. Support for multiple lists and a few other enhancements. For present users theres a update.asp page available to update the db to the current version. Just load the page manualy in the browser. /shoppinglist/update.asp
              Sorry it took so long. After going through 2 pc's and several rewrites it's here. You can get it on my websites download page.

Digi-house
              Tom

Comment

Tom,

Initial looksee is great! Have not setup the "stores" yet but have looked at all the pieces and everything is fine. DB update worked without a hitch.

I have not used your recipe script yet... do the two work together? Wife has us on the low-carb diet and I thought I might use it to enter the ones we like.

Once again, Great Job! thanks.

Dennis

Comment

Dennis, the recipe package can use the shop list also. You can add ingredients to the shoplist from the recipe pages. If any are added they will be printed when the shop list is printed. I loved some of DavidL's ideas but when I tried coding them they seemed to slow the pages down too much. Probably just bad codeing on my part. This was a learning project for me. Later I will improve on the shop list. I'd like to move it to a plugin to try and speed up the edit page and add a sortable page for printing/reports.

Tom
                  Digi-house

Comment

Tom,

When you are ready to work on the Plug-in I'll be happy to assist with testing if you would like. BTW, so far, the Flic Scanner works well in batch and tethered mode.

Comment

I don't have this Shopping List script installed but is this a web based tool? I was thinking if I can use it for Todo's?

I know I can send email to my address but it would be nice to create a one liner for todo list.

Thanks,

Simon

Comment

i came across this and it got my gears turning.

if you could scan items IN as well as out when you throw them away the system could

a) remove them from the shopping list as it would know you got the item
                        b) if you tell it the date the item will go bad ( past its sell by date) it could set off a waning and add it to the shopping list a coupl eof days before the item goes bad
                        c) give valuble data on how long it takes on avaeage to use say a tub of butter.

just some ideas that spring to mind
                        detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Hi Tom,

Couple of things now that I've been using the new shopping list for a while....

1st, periodically I get the following error when doing an update in the database. Usually when its a "delete" or a "category" update.

Script error: Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record. rs.AbsolutePage = curpage Response.Send "Save Successful. Total of " & intCount & " records processed."

2nd, entering a "minimum order quantity" doesn't seem to have any effect. Is this an active functionality?

3rd is a feature request.... Now that you have gone to the new format for editing the database it would be helpful if we had more than just the "next" and "previous" options to move through the db. What's the possibility of being able to jump by 1st letter of desctiption (e.g. Select "O" and jump to 1st item in db beginning with that letter)?

Comment

Working...
                          X