Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNMP script for Linksys

Sounds neat.
    Since the viruses hit about a year ago, my cable modem's ACTIVITY LED blinks a lot, as do the WAN lights on my Linksys router. It is said that much of this is ARP packets passing through the DOCSIS cable modem (since it seems to act like a dumb bridge). THere are occasional IP packets thrown in too.

I wonder if there's a way to see what IP is throwing all of the ARP packets, given I don't have a sniffer and I don't wish to connect my PC directly to the cable modem. I suppose I could connect my laptop to the cable modem, temporarily, and use some sniffer software (freeware). About all I could do is email my cable modem company with a list of the offenders which are their customers (I hear this is mostly coming from on-net PCs with infected Microsoft IIS running).

Have you tried Ethereal? It free and available at http://www.ethereal.com. I used it to prove my ISP's DHCP server wasn't sending a DHCP offer to my DHCP discover. They finally confessed that their DHCP server was averaging 100% CPU and new hardware was on order. It caputured a lot of ARP traffic.

I used the Linux version, but it looks like they have a Windows version too.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

UltraJones:
      Thanks for this nice work. It it populating the database with log entries ok, but I did get an error in ah.log as shown below. This did not appear to coincide with any particular activity. I have MDAC 2.7 installed. Is that a problem?
      Thanks

2/11/2003 9:31:12 PM~!~UltraSNMP Error~!~An unexpected error occured in the Winsock1_Error function/subroutine: [10036 - A blocking winsock operation is in progress]

WindowsXPhe on Compaq5300 (1.1Ghz)
      512 Mb, on-board audio, Way2Call usb 1.08.12
      TI103, MR26A
      HS 1.6.41, HSP 2.0.51

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonathanP:
        UltraJones:
        Thanks for this nice work. It it populating the database with log entries ok, but I did get an error in ah.log as shown below. This did not appear to coincide with any particular activity. I have MDAC 2.7 installed. Is that a problem?
        Thanks

2/11/2003 9:31:12 PM~!~UltraSNMP Error~!~An unexpected error occured in the Winsock1_Error function/subroutine: [10036 - A blocking winsock operation is in progress]

WindowsXPhe on Compaq5300 (1.1Ghz)
        512 Mb, on-board audio, Way2Call usb 1.08.12
        TI103, MR26A
        HS 1.6.41, HSP 2.0.51<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know why this error occurs and it is NOT related to your MDAC version. Let me know if you see any more than one per day.

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I wonder what would cause this winsock error? I have a new plugin for HS and ever since, I get a boat load of winsock errors and eventually HS exits by itself with no errors left on the screen.

Thanks,

Simon

Comment

Stevech, ARP is an inherent protocol used by every TCP/IP device if it does not have information about what devices are on the local network. A system will broadcast an ARP query to all local systems asking the device to respond that has the link layer address (sometimes called a MAC address) they want to talk to. You will always see ARP packets on Ethernet LANs.

See this for more in-depth info: http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-arp.html
            |
            | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
            HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Working...
            X