Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[script][vbs] CNN breaking news announcement script (updated: version 2.2 - 11/01/2002)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the other part of the problem. I edited the ini file directly before I realized they weren't true boolean. Yes, conditioning/testing the variables would help but as with all things in life lately, it's hard to squeeze in the extra time for stuff like that. That's why I so wish we could use Java. I find it easier to catch my errors in a strongly typed language that is compiled.

Well said....
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The problem is that xplosiv is using the string value "true" which is not the same as "True", since there are quotes around the value. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SteveP

Comment

I really appreciated this script last night with all the election stuff going on. It was so cool to hear these announcements instead of watching web pages.

Got me thinking of another feature. Why couldn't the breaking news announcements be written into a table in Homeseer.mdb for example and then the script could read back a set of announcements within a definable time range. There would be another setting for determining how long announcements would remain in the table. Last night I found myself looking back through the log to see which announcements I had missed while away from my desk.

SteveP

Comment

Steve,

That's what I'm talking about with the alert history. The custom_cnn_notify.zip I posted earlier in this thread has that in it with a web page to view them. I've sent Dan a modified version of his script that includes that feature.

Paul

Comment

I missed that point in there. I got busy building up a new laptop and lapsed on my MB reading. That is great news.

I have been reading up on hspi_message and plan on implementing it. I have let my system stabilize as I need to install my Byterunner 8 port serial card and get my 1-wire sensors back on line (hoping the crashes are related to the USB to serial conversions).

Thanks for all the work on this script. Between this and the headlines script, we have some nice news notifications.

SteveP

Comment

Xplosiv has turned over maintaining his script to me. I've posted version 2.3 here.

I'd like to see comments and suggestions continue in this thread. I'll be posting a new version of the Message Server notification as well as one that sends to the Audrey.

Dan, could you edit the first message in this thread to reflect the location of the new version?

Paul

Comment

I've posted the two add-ons I created. Send via hspi_Message_Server is here and send to Audrey is here.

A simple example of using an add-on is the following script template:

sub main()

Dim strAlertTime
              Dim strAlert

strAlert = hs.GetINISetting("CNNSettings","CurrentAlert","No Alert Found","CNNSettings.ini")
              strAlertTime = hs.GetINISetting("CNNSettings","CurrentAlertTime",Now,"CNNSe ttings.ini")

' do whatever you want with the alert here

end sub

Create an event that runs your script and add it as an event to be triggered by custom_cnn.txt.

I'm hoping this add-on method will allow others to create notification scripts for other messaging mechanisms such as HAM, netsend, instant messenger, etc.

Paul

Comment

I just put up a bug fix to the CNN News Alerts to Audrey. This should fix:

Script error in file: custom_cnn_notify_audrey.txt: 500:Variable is undefined: 'strTriggerEvents" in line 160

The script is the only thing that has changed in the zip.

Paul

Comment

I’m using this CNN breaking news script in HS forum everyday and it is a great script. When there is no news I have an off.gif (light bulb off picture) and “OFF” (text) show up in the status column. Can someone point me to the direction that in this CNN script changing to my own no_breaking_news.gif and “No CNN Breaking News now” text status?

thanks,
                  hlkc

Comment

Working...
                  X