Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion for GamePort+ Plugin Version 2.7.0......New!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion for GamePort+ Plugin Version 2.7.0......New!

This is the discussion for the GamePort+ Plugin Version 2.7.0.
    It is located in the script library here: GamePort+ Plugin Version 2.7.0

[This message was edited by Jebus on Sat, 28 June 2003 at 01:49 PM.]
    Attached Files
    3.0.0.548: HS3PRO - 3.0.5.10: AIAlert - 2.1.1.0: APIWeather - 2.0.64.0: BLBackup - 2.0.45.0: BLLAN - 2.0.37.0: BLRoombaWifi - 1.0.0.3: DevLog - 1.2.5.15: KeyPad - 3.0.2.25: NetCAM - 0.0.0.52: Pushover 3P - 3.0.0.5: SendVFD - 1.0.0.3: Tiles - 3.0.11.0: Z-Wave

Is it possible for you to create a slightly modified version of this so that I can install a second instance of this plugin for the 2 game ports I have on my machine ?

Justin had previously done this for me with the other version, but I would like the benefits your version provides.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Comment

SimonK,
      I will check with Justin and see if I can implement this.
      Is my version working for you?...JG
      3.0.0.548: HS3PRO - 3.0.5.10: AIAlert - 2.1.1.0: APIWeather - 2.0.64.0: BLBackup - 2.0.45.0: BLLAN - 2.0.37.0: BLRoombaWifi - 1.0.0.3: DevLog - 1.2.5.15: KeyPad - 3.0.2.25: NetCAM - 0.0.0.52: Pushover 3P - 3.0.0.5: SendVFD - 1.0.0.3: Tiles - 3.0.11.0: Z-Wave

Comment

The new version of the gameport interface with axis should be excellent. I noticed this thread some time ago:

multiple digital inputs via analogue

I'm hoping to be able to do a similar thing this weekend using the axis inputs. Since a 'normal' joystick has a max resistance of about 100k, I reckon that it could be possible to get 10x10KOhm contact closure inputs on each axis possibly more.

I'll post details if I have any success.

Jon

details of set up in profile

Comment

How to get 24++ digital inputs from the gameport+ interface- maybe.

Did you manage to get anything working with regards to the multiple inputs or multiple copies for multiple game cards ?

Comment

It is easy to implement multiple contact closures on one of the axis inputs as long as you can be sure that only one contact is closed at any one time. This can be achievd by wiring resistors in series of differing values (adding up to 100k) and putting each contact closure in parallel with individual resistors (so they short out one of the resitors and alter the resistance of the 'string'). It is then an easy job to calculate what the resistance of the 'string' of resitors is when each contact is closed. Just be aware of choices of resistor that might add up to the same resitance when different contacts are closed.
            The script is then just a simple greater/less than excercise: if axis > 10 and axis < 20 then hs.SetDeviceValue etc... you just need to do this for each value of resistance. There may be a better way to do this with less code but scripting is not my strong point.

Am I making sense so far?

The problem arises when you have more than one contact closed at any one time. Then the headaches start! The problem is that there are 2 to the power n combinations, where n is the number of contacts. So 2 contacts have 2x2=4 combinations, 3 contacts 2x2x2=8 combinations etc... so a fairly modest 10 inputs creates 1024 combinations. Each of which has to be scripted to set multiple devices to be on/off depending on the measured value of resistance. It also makes it a right pain selecting resistor values so that combinations do not equal individual contact resitance values or other combinations.

After several limited success attemps at 5 inputs (32 combinations) I didn't go further.

It will work fine and is easy to implement if you can be sure that only one of the contacts on your 'string' will be closed at any one time. If you need contacts closed at the same time, keep the number of contacts small or invest in another solution! I have achieved 4 inputs (in any comination, not just on their own) working reliably for me on each axis, so that gives me 16 + the standard 4 buttons= 20 inputs. Not quite my planned 24+ but not bad for less than £1's worth of resistors.

Hope that's some help.

Jon

details of set up in profile

Comment

If you want to check the status of a larger number of switches, then you might want to look at the parallel port. The setup would be to energize a wire going to a switch, and see if current passes through the switch. Current (+5V on the return wire) means it is closed, and no current (0v on the return wire) means it is open. Using a clever setup with some cheap logic chips, hundreds of switches could be checked. I made a video switcher using 74HC259 chips from Radio Shack that might could check the status of 40 switches instead of switching 40 video inputs.
              Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

I have updated the plugin in the script library to 2.7.
                The zip now includes a second plugin for those of you that have a second gameport attached........JG

GamePort Interface+ Plugin version 2.7

Comment

In the words of C. Montgomery Burns - Excellent!

Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

how hard would it be to get this device http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3677 to work with the plugin? Would make it an even better deal.

HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                    (aka xplosiv)
                    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Dan,
                      From the changes that were made to allow for two gameports, I believe that it would not be too difficult. If anyone aquires this device for four gameports, I will give it a shot and send the code........JG

Comment

Did you ever obtain the following item to try with the game port plugin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3677

I would be curious as well if this could be incorporated.

Cheers,
                        Bob

------------------------------
                        Pentium 4 - 2 GHz
                        1 GB DDR RAM @433Mhz
                        Homeseer and Homeseer Phone
                        DooMotion Plug-in
                        HomeSeer PCI Voice Modem
                        MR26A with plug-in
                        Media Player Plug-in
                        AT&T Natural Voices
                        More to come....
                        Cheers,
                        Bob
                        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

What is involved to the install? Is there any instructions for instillation and hookup?

I have downloaded the zip files but I am not sure what to do now..
                          Kirk

http://cleverhouseautomation.ca
                          http://southcoastwebsitedesign.ca

Comment

I have the plug in installed and devices created.

Now if someone in the know could help me with the actual hook up. What is the general idea for hookup? How do I see status of different devices like doors and windows?

Any help would be greatly appreciated here..
                            Kirk

http://cleverhouseautomation.ca
                            http://southcoastwebsitedesign.ca

Comment

Kirk,

Check out this thread for more info on the pinout:
                              http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...4&m=7526023954

HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                              (aka xplosiv)
                              Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Working...
                              X