X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada weather v1.18

Hi Steven,

I'm glad someone took over the script. I used it last year when things kept changing I finally gave up trying to fix it. That being said I tried the latest version but I could not figure out why I was not getting w11 which is the 5 day forecast. I am near London(Ontario) so I was using this configuration. Could you try the London config to see if it is still working. Thanks

Wayne.

Comment

Wayne,

I reviewed the section for the London area and found that the settings below were not 100% correct. You will notice that the forecast_start_string in version 1.18 actually indicates London Middlesex area. Unfortunately, this is one of those changes from EC that I missed.

Const LOCATION = "London"
      Const LOCATION_CODE = "on-137_metric_e.html"
      Const FORECAST_START_STRING_TAG = "London:"
      Const TIMEZONE = "EDT"

If you use the settings above, W11 (5 day text forecast) as well as the 5 day graphical forecast will now show London's weather properly.

You may also find using this link below, a weather station closer to home.
      http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/fo...x_e.html?id=ON

Let me know how it goes. If you find a weather station that is closer and would like some, let me know.

Steven

Comment

working now

Steven,

Thanks for your help v1.18 works good now. I think the name is an on going issue as I recall from before. The gov sites are missing some key info like current precipitation for example. They do have yesterday's though. I guess you have to wait till they empty the Tim's cup first.

Wayne.

Comment

Wayne,

Glad to hear that it is working for you now! I just hope HS 2.0 doesn't break it accidentally. I am looking forward to the multi threading that i have heard 2.0 has in it. As for the current precip, well, it must take them a while to go from location to location. Probably just long enough to empty the Tim's cup to use at the next weather station
          It would appear that we have several other Canadian's downloading the weather script as well.

Did you end up finding a weather location that was closer than London?

Steven

Comment

weather script and webpage

Hi there..

I just downloaded the weather script V1.18, set it up as per the instructions, set up an event to run every 15 min. all seems to be ok. so here is my dumb question. how do I get this to display on the homeseer built-in website. I know the script is working by changing the speak to true, it then rattles off all the weather info ( takes a few min to get through this ), however I do not want it to speak the weather all the time so I set the speak to FALSE.

Thanks for your help..

Mike..

Comment

Mike,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, have been swamped at work!.
              I am glad to hear that you have it working. I will assume at this point that if you look at the status for the Rooms/Location assigned to all the weather devices (W1-W18) that you see the different weather items. If not, then you will need to check to ensure that you added W1 to W18 as devices. I have mine listed under the location of "Weather".

** here is a snippit from the install, so that if you have not created the devices yet, that you won't have to go hunting for them. **
              The script uses 18 virtual devices to store the weather info for display. The user must create these in Homeseer and enter them in the config. section below.
              The default is w1 to w18.
              Const WEATHER_HOUSE_CODE = "w"
              Const WARNING_DEVICE = "w1"
              Const CURRENT_WEATHER_DEVICE = "w2"
              Const TEMPERATURE_DEVICE = "w3"
              Const PRESSURE_DEVICE = "w4"
              Const WIND_DEVICE = "w5"
              Const HUMIDITY_DEVICE = "w6"
              Const DEWPOINT_DEVICE = "w7"
              Const VISIBILITY_DEVICE = "w8"
              Const VARIABLE_DEVICE = "w9"
              Const GRAPHIC_FORECAST_DEVICE = "w10"
              Const FORECAST_DEVICE = "w11"
              Const NORMAL_HIGH_DEVICE = "w12"
              Const NORMAL_MEAN_DEVICE = "w13"
              Const NORMAL_LOW_DEVICE = "w14"
              Const YESTERDAY_HIGH_DEVICE = "w15"
              Const YESTERDAY_LOW_DEVICE = "w16"
              Const YESTERDAY_PRECIP_DEVICE = "w17"
              Const LAST_UPDATED_DEVICE = "w18"

I use a combination of a quickview.asp file and ultraview to display my weather on the web page, so that I can have different portions of the weather depending on what I may be currently monitoring.

Let me know how you make out.
              Are you in Winnipeg? or in one of the towns outside? Just wondering if you found a weather location in close proximity for where you are.

Steven

Comment

Ok now I see what's up..

Hi Steven..

Blink... the light in my head just went on.. I see now what is this is doing. separate device for each value, then each value can be displayed by itself ( cool ).. I will try this out and see where this takes me..

Yes, I am in Winterpeg.... ( winnipeg ), seems like HA is not very big here, no local suppliers. But who needs them when you have this big wide internet, paypal, and Xpresspost

Thanks for the info..

Have a good one..

Mike..

Comment

Originally posted by karls
                  Paul,

Your previous post mentioned that you were working on an update to the Canadian Weather Script. I have been slowly hacking away at how your script functions and how EC has reworked the website and making the necessary adjustments to the script.
                  I currently have "I believe" 80% functionality with only the graphical 5 day forecast still pending.

I know I have been missing the weather in Homeseer since they have messed with the format. I am not sure how many other Canadians use the script, but would be happy to share my modifications with you.

Steven
                  Steven (and others),

Today I received a PM about the script and dropped by the forum to see if there were any new posts. For some reason, I can't get the auto notifications to work. It was great to see these updates!

I must apologize for being a deadbeat developer by not supporting this script after the last big changes . I confess that I became sick of the constant edits needed to keep pace with the Env. Canada site. It was fun the first couple of years but eventually turned into a "hassle". I commend and thank you for jumping in and making it work! All I ask is that the fruits of the efforts be shared with the Homeseer community (exactly as you have beeen doing), and try to update the documentation/comments when applicable .

Sometimes I can't believe that this goofy little script has had the shelf life that it has. With Steven's and others help, hopefully it'll be around for a few more years .

Comment

Steve,

Just installed 1.18 and it works great!

Comment

Welcome Back !

Paul,

Originally posted by paulrimmer

It was fun the first couple of years but eventually turned into a "hassle". I commend and thank you for jumping in and making it work! All I ask is that the fruits of the efforts be shared with the Homeseer community (exactly as you have beeen doing), and try to update the documentation/comments when applicable .

Sometimes I can't believe that this goofy little script has had the shelf life that it has. With Steven's and others help, hopefully it'll be around for a few more years .
                      Thanks to you actually. I was missing the Weather a fair bit and really liked your script as it was Canadian based which is somewhat hard to get from the US weather sites, at least in the detail that EC provides. I slowly started hacking away at it and managed to get it somewhat funtional and in the meantime started learning more about programming and of course it is much easier when you have a sample to work from and a goal to reach. There has only been really minor changes that I have been working on since I released the 1.18 version and I have actually been looking at ensuring it will work in HS2 now that it has been released in Beta.

My main concern was that I was not stepping on toes by making mods to your script and nor do I want to take credit for your awesome work. It is much appreciated even by the Wife, as she listens to the weather being announced every morning at 6:00am.

Regarding the shelf life, It would appear that there is more of us fellow HS Canadians out there, as there have been 25 views to the file since I posted it in May.

Hope you enjoy the new V1.18 and hopefully you get your notification working again. If you would like to collaborate on any changes, I would be more than happy to work with you.

Steven

Comment

Working...
                      X