Weather Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Warnings

Anyone using the Weather Warnings script? Sometimes it appears to work OK, other times I get the following log error:

"1/29/2003 5:32:56 PM~!~Error~!~Script error in file: Weather_Warnings.txt: 5:Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Instr' in line 252"

Often I'll get 20 or 30 emails - sometimes one with the warning, the rest blank. Other times it'll be the same message duplicated 5 or 6 times.

This has been going on for a while - I just assumed I needed a new version of the script, but it looks like I'm running the latest version, 6.8.

Anyone seeing similar problems?

Can you post a link to the file and I'll have a look. Are you running the Weather Warnings Include file or the Severe Weather Warnings from Toms site?

-Rupp
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

MattZ,

I am, and I had to make a few changes to take care of some of the problems you've mentioned, and other problems (like repeat messages) I just live with.

As far as I can tell, the problem with the multiple instances of the same warning are a side effect of how weather.com posts the warnings to their site. There is still a problem in the script that I haven't figured out that causes an X10 command with no house code and no unit code to be sent. I did get rid of the blank pages (although I'm not sure which of my changes fixed that).

As far as the error message, there is very little error handling in the script. It relies on script commands to fail to abort it when something goes wrong. For example, hs.GetURL will return a null string if it times out (it also returns a null string occasionally because of a bug in hs.GetURL, but that is another long story I'm tired of repeating). Anyway, the script doesn't check for this and ends up erroring out at some point, which is what you are seeing.

The other problem, which is not easy to fix, is there is not a clear format for these warnings. When its summertime here, and we have multiple thunderstorm warnings every day, I have to make changes to the script so that I'm not paged every half hour. Right now its been quiet.

So its partly the script, and mostly the content its trying to deal with. Its on my to-do list to rework the script to work better, but I just have not had the time.

The WeatherMan script also will pull the warning titles out of the forecast page, but it doesn't go look up the actual warning text, and it doesn't have the ability to page you if they change, which is what I like about Weather Warnings.

Bill

Comment

Rupp - Thanks for your help. I've attached the script to this message. It is the severe weather warnings from Tom's site. I don't use the include file - do you?

Bill - Sounds like you've spent some time looking at the script and are experiencing similar problems. I use WeatherMan, and it would be great to see the functionality of the two scripts merged into one. There's some code in this one I haven't "gotten" - in particular the scanning of all the weather variables. It seemed to be altering the normal values, so I set the script to point to the first device after my normal weather devices. The email/paging feature is what I like the most . . . when it works!

Matt
        Attached Files

Comment

I've updated the weather warnings script. Hopefully this will correct the problems people were seeing. This update uses a config file for the options. Instructions are in the comments at the top of the script. If your using a modified version. Be sure to backup you old version in case this doesn't suite your needs as well as what you may be using. You can get a copy on the downloads page on my website.

Tom
          Digi-house

Comment

Tom,

Tried downloading the script today and ran into some errors. Just thought I would let ya know.

Peace,

Dave

Comment

Sorry Dave, I'm trying a new CMS for my website but it's beta still. I uploaded the zip to the original weather warnings thread in the scripts forum. Truthfully this new update to the weather warnings is the first time I've really been happy with how it works. Here's the link to the original post. Weather warnings I haven't had any feedback yet from the updated scripts. But at least for me all the options are working great so far.

let me know if you have any problems or suggestions.

Tom
              Digi-house

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a new try.

Peace,

Dave

Comment

Tom,

I'm very much interested in the new version of your script, but was not able to download from your site. Would you consider uploading it here?

I always thought it was a good script, just needed some work that I never had the time for except a few tweaks to make it work better for me.

Bill

Comment

Hi Bill, I updated the zip in homeseers scripts library forum. Weather warnings
                    Suggestions or feedback appreciated.

Tom
                    Digi-house

Comment

Oops.. my mistake, I forget that this message board has its annoying little quirks. I went there and saw the "last update" of the message was in 2002 and didn't download the zip file to check if it was changed.

Bill

Comment

All --

Just downloaded and installed this script and this error occurs each time HS trys to run the script. Suggestions?

Script error in file: Weather Warnings.txt: 13:Type mismatch: 'timesspoke' in line 120

Comment

Jeff, if you want to email me. I'll email you a copy of the script with some debugging code in it to try.

Tom

Comment

I think I may have found the problem and fixed it. I updated the zip in the scripts forum. Let me know if this doesn't fix it for you.

Tom
                            Digi-house

Comment

Tom,

None of the download links work for me -- They all take me to a 404, Not Found page.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X