UK Traffic News script Discussion

Post your comments & suggestions here!

Jon
    Jon

Screenshot from my HS webpage.
    Attached Files
    Jon

Comment

I'm wondering if the AA have changed something on their traffic page since you last updated your script? I haven't changed any settings, except for requesting mode 1 in the Event. The status says "Latest AA Travel News last updated at:" and that's it. I'd like to get it working because it sounds really useful! (Thanks for writing it!) Any ideas please?

Comment

Gaz,

Mine is working fine.

Have you got the script working at all?

The default settings within the script will display traffic in South London. Try these settings first before adjusting them from your region (if necessary download the script again!)

Give me some more info and I will try and help!

Jon
        Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon. I first tried the script straight from the zip file and it didn't work, so I thought I'd have nothing to lose by adding my own location. Does your script or HS log any info if a script doesn't run or the VB code generates an error? My ADSL modem flashes the data LED once when the script runs so I know the "HTTP get" part of the script is executed - although it's not known if it got a pages back.

Your motherboard monitor script works a treat though! :-) Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Gaz,I like to know why my scripts are not working. There have been 18 downloads so far. I wonder if anyone else is having problems. Perhaps someone who is using this or tried it could respond?

Could you please either post the script here or via email, exactly as you have it configured now.

Thanks,

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
            Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

Woking fine here in Herts....except that I dont get the icons, even though they are in the HTML directory.

Cheers
              Seppi

Update: I edited the icons to be incident1.gif & roadworks1.gif, work brill now.

[This message was edited by Seppi on Mon, 30 June 2003 at 02:55 PM.]

Comment

Like Seppi, I'm in Herts too. I'll attach the script I'm using to this message. Just to confirm, the event is running every 15 mins.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help.
                Gary.
                Attached Files

Comment

I will take a look at this tomorrow evening.

I have also had another HS user email me to say that it is working perfectly apart from the icons- see below.

It looks like I posted the right icons with the wrong names I will update the zip with the correctly named icons tomorrow as well.

Jon
                  Jon

Comment

One other thing...

Make sure that your copy of Windows script is up to date. You can download it here.

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
                    Jon

Comment

I just visited your HS site. Very cool. I love the way you customised it totally! I guess you scripted it all from scratch. BTW, your firewall PC is about to burst into flames - 102 degrees CPU and system temperature! ;-)

What are you using to monitor your indoor temperatures? And, if you don't mind, what camera hardware and control software do you use?

My scripting components are at least v5.6 according to System Information. I think XP comes with 5.6 anyway.

Thanks,
                      Gary.

Comment

I ran your copy of the script and it is working perfectly. Very strange.

Could you please still go to the Windows Script site which I posted earlier and run the latest version. The method that I extract the data from the webpage uses a recent addition to scripting. I used this method with my basic TV listings script and one person with this problem was cured by loading the latest version.

As for the Firewall PC - Its a problem with Motherboard Monitor which goes strange after a day or two.

Temperature monitoring is via a 1-wire network.
                        (search this board for 1-wire, one wire etc)

Jon
                        Jon

Comment

I installed scripting from the URL you gave me (rebooted) but it still didn't work. I've got the Comfort plug-in installed, not sure what effect that has on scripts. I can't uninstall it because it will delete it's settings and mess up my dependant events. Never mind, I'll just have to bookmark the AA's travel page! ;-) Thanks for taking the time to help.

Comment

Gaz,

Could you email me. Look in my profile.

Jon
                            Jon

Comment

Just had to change the script to reflect the icon names (remove the "1" from both).

Another handy script from Jon00

I dont use the annoucements but do send messages round triggered by various devices (and have more future plans). I'm going to try to get a seperate device for each road which has just the subset of events etc from the main device relevant to that road. Should reduce the amount in the main device to read through.

Jon - have you ever considered a UK (BBC?) based weather script. A few devices with local forecast would be great. You seem to have the nack of screen scraping useful sites

Deano

www.EatWorms.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X