DVD Collection Script Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Collection Script Discussion

DVD collection script is in the Homeseer Updater. This is a discussion thread for DVD Collection. A asp page and some vr commands. Using the exported xml file from DVD Profiler.

Tom
    Digi-house

Tom,
    Got a script error "5:invalid procedure call or argument 'left' in line 44".
    after running DVDsVRInstall

Comment

David do you have any thing listed in your wish list? Or maybe you can email me a copy of your xml file. So I could try to reproduce the error here.

Tom
      Digi-house

Comment

Tom,

I just installed the script and it's working for me although I don't have any entry in "wish list". My collection has 132 titles.

Thanks for sharing the script, much appreciated.

Simon

Comment

Thanks. We currently have a Pioneer 300 Disk DVD player and have used DVD Profiler for some time. Thanks for the great script. Since some are attaching their "wish list" let me add to that list the ability to display collection number.

Thanks again.

[This message was edited by Bill Lott on Sat, 27 September 2003 at 07:20 PM.]

Comment

Could you guys please add a data entry capability. I would prefer not to use the DVD Profiler application.

Thanks!
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

I tried to add another value to the array from the XML file, but I keep getting an object required message:

Here is a snippet of the changed code:

Set oNodeList = xmlfile.selectNodes("//DVD[CollectionType='Owned']")
              intMax = oNodeList.Length
              For i = 1 to intMax
              redim Preserve arrDVDs(4,intMax)
              Set oNode = oNodeList.nextNode
              arrDVDs(0,i) = oNode.selectSingleNode("SortTitle").Text
              arrDVDs(1,i) = oNode.selectSingleNode("Title").Text
              arrDVDs(2,i) = oNode.selectSingleNode("CollectionType").Text
              arrDVDs(3,i) = oNode.selectSingleNode("ID").Text
              arrDVDs(4,i) = oNode.selectSingleNode("Rating").Text
              Next

Can someone point me in the right direction. It must be something obvious.

Thanks
              Bob

------------------------------
              Pentium 4 2 GHz
              1 GB DDR RAM
              Trying DooMotion - so far so good
              More to come....
              Cheers,
              Bob
              Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

I see nothing wrong with the line you added. What did you modify in the for-next loop that writes your page out? Specifically the lines that start at "for i = 1 to UBound(arrDVD)" Better yet, attach your entire script and I'd be glad to look at.

I've made a number of changes to this script already thanks to the head start that Tom gave us by posting his code, especially the XML parsing routine. I'm a XML rookie. Thanks Tom!

I modified the table to display the front cover, title, running time, year released, genres, description, and rating. I have a drop down box to select what page you want displayed (also put in a pagesize setting in the ini file) since trying to load all the movies on one page takes too long for me. This weekend I hope to add a popup window when a cover is clicked that will display the rest of the movie info like the Easter eggs, actors, director, etc. If I get more adventurous I might also put in a sorting option.

If anyone wants to check it out feel free to drop by at Joe's Place and look under "Movies" and then "Our DVDs" If you have dial-up please be patient, the covers take a while to load. Sign my guest book too.

Joe

Comment

Hi Joe,

I will post my modified asp pag tonight when I get home.

Can you attach a copy of your asp page. I am curious what changes you have made.

Thanks
                  Bob

Pentium 4 2 GHz
                  1 GB DDR RAM
                  More to come....
                  Cheers,
                  Bob

Comment

Joe,

Here is my asp page

Thanks
                    Bob

Pentium 4 2 GHz
                    1 GB DDR RAM
                    More to come....
                    Attached Files
                    Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

Sorry for the delay guys.

Blade - Your version of the dvds.asp page ran fine on my PC. I don't have a wish list in my xml file so I don't know if that is causing your problem. I saw 2 movies per row with the #, title, and front and back covers for each movie.

huggy_d1 and whoever else is working on the next version - As requested, I have posted my modifications here.

'This is a modified version of Tom Caldwell's dvds.asp
                      'I was asked to post my modifications so here ya go
                      'I don't know if this breaks any of the VR commands since I'm not using that portion for now
                      'Changes that were made:
                      '1) Forced variables to be declared with "Option Explicit" and declared all variables
                      '2) Added a pageSize setting to ini file - defaulted to 30 per page if not found
                      '3) Added drop down box for page selection (listing all movies on one page took too long for me)
                      '4) Drop down box lists first and last movie of each page
                      '5) Only showing front cover image - removed back cover to speed up download
                      '6) Aside from original image and title, I also added
                      ' Running time (calculated hours and minutes)
                      ' Year released
                      ' Up to 5 genres
                      ' Movie description and movie rating
                      '7) Removed wish list code (only because I didn't need it)
                      '8) Also added security option to make this page only visible to authorized users
                      ' by uncommenting line 12
                      '
                      'In the near future, I will be adding a popup window when the cover is clicked to
                      'show the rest of the movie info like director, actors, easter eggs, etc.
                      'Joe's Place 10.05.2003 (Joe Hebert)
                      'Have fun!

Hope this helps. Feel free to drop by to check it out.

Joe
                      Attached Files

Comment

Joe,

Love the page. Can you include Collection number? I could then replace the Table Top Book I've printed.

Thanks..

Comment

Hi Bill,
                          Jeff added a lot of info to the default dvd asp page. Including collection numbers. Give me a few days and I'll try to get the different versions merged. Don (huggyd1) added the faststring to the asp page and a really cool script to synchronizing the profiler images folder with the dvds asp images. I love the drop down Joe added to his version. If it's all right with him. I'll try to add some of his changes also.

Tom
                          Digi-house

[This message was edited by Tom Caldwell on Tue, 07 October 2003 at 06:38 PM.]

Comment

Please feel free to incorporate any of the modifications I have made to the dvds.asp.

I'm adding a popupdvds.asp which will open a new window when a cover is clicked. The popup window will display most of the movie's info that is available in the dvdprofiler xml file. I should have it finished and posted by the end of the week.

Great idea to sync the covers automatically. Can't wait to see that one.

Guests are always welcome at Joe's Place To see my DVD page go to "Movies" and then "Our DVDs"

Joe

Comment

While I've been working on/testing the popupdvds.asp that I mentioned in my previous post, I've noticed that there isn't a consistent structure to the XML file that is exported via DVDProfiler.

For example, not all DVDs have an <EasterEggs></Easter Eggs> node. My understanding of a well structured XML file is that it should follow rules. It's one thing for a node not to have any data associated with it but quite another when the node is missing all together. When I try to access a node that doesn't exist, I get a Object required: 'SelectSingleNode(blah blah blah)'error.

Another example is the Actors. The form looks like it should be
                              <Actors>
                              <Actor>
                              <FirstName></FirstName>
                              <LastName></LastName>
                              <Role></Role>
                              </Actor>
                              <Actor>
                              </Actor>
                              </Actors>

However, some of the actors don't have the <Role></Role> tags and some actors have a <MiddleName></MiddleName> thrown in just for fun.

So now I'm adding code that will test to see if a node exists before I try to access it. This is my first real venture with XML but having to test the existence of every node first seems like a big waste of effort and against what XML is all about.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone else run across this problem? I understand that the DVDProfiler software is free so maybe I shouldn't complain but I just want to make sure I understand how XML is supposed to work.

Thanks,
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X