RSS Parse Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RSS Parse Failed

I'm using the newer version of Jon00's RSS script... and every few days all of my feeds read "Parse failed -check for correct URL". This lasts for a little more than 24 hours and then they all come back. Anyone else experiencing this? I know the URL's are correct, they work fine most of the time...

Thanks,
    Brett

BTW, this is an example of the error that shows up in my log:

11/4/2004 10:45:23 AM Warning Could not get data from URL, error -2147467260 URL=http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/userland/HomePage.xml

Comment

Brett,

I do not think it is anything to do with the script. To obtain the information from the internet, it just uses the standard hs.GetURL scripting command. If it does not pick up any data (internet/site down etc)it will report a error.

That said, I believe that some people have had problems with this command with their set-up. I have not tried this but you could try using the hs.GetURLIE which uses Internet Explorer to get the data. Do a search for hs.GetURL and add "IE" to the end.

I would also wait until the problem shows itself and then check with the browser on your Homeseer machine that you can still see the internet.
      Jon

Comment

I forgot to mention that I have a newer vesion on my site which now includes automatic virtual device creation & naming (thanks Rick), better formatting for long text feeds, bug fix <span class="ev_code_RED">and the ability to read the new Vbulletin Homeseer message board </span>using its RSS 2 or RSS 0.91 output.

I do not intend to post here until the new board is running correctly.
        Jon

Comment

Jon00, thanks for the reply. I recently discovered that a reboot of my machine would bring back the RSS feeds. I have checked my connection when the problem manifests and have had no difficulty browsing the web or retrieving email... but I am now convinced that there's something going wrong on my computer and that there's no problem with the script. I'll keep rebooting until I figure it out. I'm looking forward to using the new version of your script!

Thanks,
          Brett

Comment

RSS feeds in ML

Jon00

I have been using your RSS feed script. Fantastic program.

I was wondering if you use Main Lobby? and if so have you or anyone else modifed the RSS output for use in MAinLobby?

Thanks
            jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

I do have a license for ML but really have not done much with it. Trouble is I work very easily with ASP programming that I can't be bothered to do it again with ML even though the graphics are far better.

The script would need to be altered as the virtual device value contains the data and all the HTML code (including the hyperlinks) to display correctly within Homeseer. Not being ML fluent, I am not sure the best route to take here.
              Jon

Comment

jjsmd,
                I think I am using jon00s RSS script in Homeseer to populate Mainlobby MLServer variables. Once there, you can put a text button in ML to show the RSS.
                I went one step further and built a scrollable text window that displays the RSS info. Unfortunately you need Flash to configure it for your needs so it wouldn't do you any good. Mario has it on his hit list to build one that is user configurable (he has a long list).

Comment

Just started using the rss feed script and it works great. Thanks. But does anybody use it with the Ebays feeds, I cant get it to work I get (Parse failed - Check for correct URL).

Thanks,
                  Bob

Comment

I assume you are talking about my script? Where did you download it from as there are two versions.

Also could you give me the URL for a typical Ebay RSS feed that is causing problems.

Thanks,
                    Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

Yes I am. I got it off your website. Here is a address that I took off Ebay that I can't get to work.
                      http://rss.api.ebay.com/ws/rssapi?Fe...s=ncvillalobos

Bob

Comment

Bob,

Found the problem. It was due to my advert filtering.

I've posted V1.01 on my site. There is a new ini setting under each [Feedx] and [ASPx] (where x is the incrementing number) called HTMLFiltering=1. If you update, you will need to add this entry to your ini file for each feed.

If you set this value to 0, the description text will now NOT be parsed of HTML code so will now show links and images (including adverts!). Setting this to 1 will prevent this happening and is recommended for most feeds. Set your Ebay feed to 0.
                        Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon

Comment

I have only modified the HS2 version BTW
                            Jon

Comment

Working...
                            X