Script that would initiat countdown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Script that would initiat countdown.

A script to count the days down to a birthday, christmas, new years etc... Has anyone ever made one? I know I could edit an event for each day but is there something already out there that each day initiat and say 23 more days til ---- Then you could fill in the blank depending on what you are waiting for? Is it even possible?

If nobody comes up with something and your not going to make it then i will take a stab at it. Sounds like a fun script to write

Comment

Hi,
      its not too bad...
      You can use the DateAdd function to add or subtract a specified time interval from a date. For example, you can use DateAdd to calculate a date 30 days from today or a time 45 minutes from now. To add days to date, you can use Day of Year ("y"), Day ("d"), or Weekday ("w").

Stuart

Comment

Well I dont have the capability. I have been reading alot on VBScripts but I am far from writing one from scratch. I think it would be neat to have something that could have a set day countdown and maybe a setting to say or reflect a variable. Birthday, wedding etc....XMAS!! hehe

Comment

PP,
          Were you envisioning a web page interface so you could add a start date and end date?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

No Rupp,
            More an announcement each day but a webpage counter would be a neat touch. Is there already a new years countdown that could be revamped?

Comment

PP,
              I was thinking of an asp page that would allow you to enter a start day, end day and a spoken phrase, and the time you want it announced. Then upon submittal it would create the event for you.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. Would be neat for my 5 year old waking up and hearing " 11 more days to Christmas!" and so on.

Comment

Ahhh Rupp, That would be just as good if not simpler interface to use. Sounds like a good approach.

Comment

pp,
                    Here's a real quick script that you can run in an event that will create a reminder. It's basic but you can duplicate the code any number of times you want for different events. You can put this code in a reocurring event that euns every day but it will only create the need event when the dates are appropriate. So every year it will work

Code:
                    sub main()
                    dtStartDate = DateValue("12-11-2004")
                    dtEndDate = DateValue("12-25-2004")
                    strTimeToAnnounce = "8:01 PM"

intDays = dtEndDate - dtStartDate

strWhatToSay = "It's " & intDays & " days until Christmas"

If dtEndDate >= Date Then
                        intIndex = hs.NewEvent("CountDown")
                        Set ev = hs.GetEvent(intIndex)
                        ev.misc = &H10
                        ev.ev_date = Date
                        ev.ev_time = strTimeToAnnounce
                        ev.ev_abs_time = 0
                        ev.speech = strWhatToSay
                    End If
                    end sub

Comment

Kewl I will give it a run in the morning... Thanks alot.!

Comment

PP,
                        To test it simply change the strTimeToAnnounce = "8:01 PM" to a time about a minute in the future and see if it works.

Comment

pp,
                          Found and error. You need to replace :
                          intDays = dtEndDate - dtStartDate

with:
                          intDays = DateDiff("d", Date, dtEndDate)

Comment

Okay, I was just reviewing each line with my newfound script knowledge(which isn't much). Trying to go line by line to understand it....

Comment

If you have any questions just holler. This is a simple script in terms of number of lines but includes some semi advanced concepts.

BTW It just announced that Chrismas is 11 days away.

Comment

Working...
                              X