Caller ID in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caller ID in the UK

I have activated the caller ID service on our telephone and now want to use HS to announce/control the calls. Question is, do I have to buy something like the Meteor unit to do this or will HS Phone work without any additional hardware - presuming the supplied modem is compatible I suppose. Can anybody out there point me in the right direction?

I am using a 3com US Robotics 56K Message Modem without any addition kit. I have found this to be the most reliable modem that I have used to date.

Comment

Sorry, wasn't spefic enough. I have an ADSL line with a BT ADSL modem, was wondering if that would be OK. Are you using HS Phone with your modem?

Comment

I've also this last week been trying to get caller id to work in the uk and after borrowing nemerous modems from work to test the only one that works reliably and works with HSP is as mentioned above the US Robotics 56k Message Modem.

Comment

To get Caller ID info in the UK, you will need a Meteor and a voice modem - unless you have an old PACE modem which is unlikely.

The modem will detect the call and the Meteor will pass the Caller ID data to Homeseer Phone IF you use Justin's excellent Homeseer Phone plugin.

I have this working perfectly (albeit in a different variation) but can recommend this setup highly.

If you need anymore advice, I can help because I've gone through this recently and its fresh in my mind.

Comment

Jez,

Did you have to re-build your PC or did Justin modify his plugin to get HSP with CID working for you?

Jon
            Jon

Comment

Hi Jon

I rebuilt the PC, the Meteor still didn't work, Justin suggested a diagnostic and it failed meaning that the PC was at fault (or the Meteor which is OK as it works on m PC). So, I gave up on that for the meantime, contacted Pathwaydata who have contacted the hardware manufacturer. We think its to do with the power supply on the PC which may be insufficient and they are looking at this.
              In the meantime, I have got it all working by having the Meteor on my PC (on the network) and running Homeseer with Justin's plugin. My PC collects the CID data and writes it to a database. The modem on the main HS PC (which also runs HSP and Justin's plugin) detects the call, reads the last entry in the database and writes the CID data to HSP. At this point it also sends an email for which I get a text notification on my mobile phone, and the last 10 calls received are available on an ASP web page. HSP kicks off exactly as it should and we now don't receive calls from witheld numbers - HURRAH!

Justin's plugin is perfect, in fact is 100%, and he was very helpful in troubleshooting (cheers Justin).
              I still have loads to learn about HSP but thats the power of Homeseer.

Thanks for your help too Jon - this Homeseer community is just the best!

Oh, and interesting that the US Robotics 56k message modem detects CID in the UK.

Jez

Comment

Working...
              X