Defrag Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defrag Discussion

The defrag script in the library http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=102988 is a great idea. I know I always forget to keep mine in order.

A word of caution for those that do incremental backups using Acronis True Image. If you degrag your disk then you might as well always do full backups because True Image uses sector bit patterns for comparision and defrag changes them all even if no changes are made to the files stored in the sectors. Do incremental between defrags and new backup after a defrag.

Ok tried this script and am a bit confussed.
    A dos window came up, like it wanted me to type something.
    When i defrag from the start/programs/system tools/ it doesn't look like that.
    What do I do next?
    Thanx
    Tim
    FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

The script pops up a DOS window that looks like one one attached (only a portion is shown)... this indicates the defrag is running. When complete, it will output some info, then close (too quickly to read the info)

Another window will pop up if you have another drive and the defrag will start on that drive.
      Attached Files

Comment

You could use the DOS pipe output function;
        defrag -options >defrag.txt

defrag.txt would contain the text that would have gone to the window. You could open that file and inspect it, or cut the text and show it on a web page.

Paul
        Paul

Comment

Has anyone done any work to update Defrag.txt to HS2.1????

Larry.
          -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
          VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
          Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Larry,
            I've updated the script to run on HS 2.1. My question is should I simply add the script to Firtha's original post or start a new thread?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

What is the difference with the 2.1 update?

Thanks

Thom

Comment

Changed the script to use the EventEnumerator.

Is the old one still working for you?

Comment

Perfectly

Comment

Hey... I just tried this setup with my 1.7.44 box running win2k and get
                    8/4/2006 2:30:00 PM~!~Error~!~Script error in file: Defrag.txt: -2147024894: in line 68

Any ideas?

Rob
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Rupp, how about a new thread.. I think the old was working, but giving anoying messages in the log. At least I think it was working, because it is always schedule for the wee hours of the morning.
                      -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
                      VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
                      Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Here's the new script:
                        http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...266#post725266

Comment

As a side note you may want to mention that this script will trip the hs script timeout error during normal operation if the setting "Scripts cannot timeout" is set to no.

Later, Terry

Comment

Terry,
                            That's an excellent point and I meant to mention that but totally forgot when I posted the script. I'll edit the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                              Thanks Greg.

Comment

Working...
                              X